General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A newbie question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-09 6:27 PM

New user

Staffordshire, England
Subject: A newbie question
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb one, but here goes...the question is about pace, when you're running on a treadmill you dial up the pace that you want, and off you go. But when running 'for real' how do you know your pace ??? When I was cross country running at school, I would run as fast as I could, sometime that meant that I finished with a good time, other times it meant I dropped out of the race and threw up (at 16 I did not fully understand the need to eat 'the right stuff' before a race :-) ) Being older and wiser I now understand that pacing yourself is very important, but how do you actually do it ? Do you count the number of strides you take ? Yes I am a newbie, and no I have not taken part in a tri yet, but my goal is for a sprint next summer.

Any guidance would be much appreciated as it might mean that I dont throw up at my first Tri run ... LOL

Mark

2004-10-09 6:36 PM
in reply to: #70800

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: A newbie question

There are no dumb questions here!  I have to say I never really thought about pacing - I just run the best that I can.  I suppose you could monitor your heart rate.  Or use the RPE scale (rate of perceived exertion).  I used to throw up after races too, but not anymore! 

I guess use your best judgment and consider how long you need to run when deciding how fast you should go.  In a typical week, I do 3 run workouts.  One long, slow run where I'll be able to run as far as I want without feeling dead, one interval workout with sprints (this builds speed), and one short-ish run at a higher level than the long run. 

I guess we'll wait and see what others have to say

2004-10-09 6:46 PM
in reply to: #70807

New user

Staffordshire, England
Thanks for that...What do you do in your interval sessions ? I'm not ready for them yet, as I'm still trying to get some basic level of fitness, but not sure what to include when I do. Although I am a member of a gym at present, I wont be renewing my membership after October, so training will be dictated by the local geography.
2004-10-09 8:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
mdudson, you've asked a good question. I don't know where you live, but my advice is to continue to run outside (or on an indoor track) as much as you can this winter. If you do all of your running on a treadmill, it gets hard to determine a good pace for you off the treadmill. I don't have it figured back out yetafter three years of treadmill running, but I have some success when I try to stay in a high zone 2 for most of my runs outside. Good luck!
2004-10-09 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

I suppose I should have read this thread BEFORE the one about Keeping up with the Tri-Joneses...

I base my pace off my HRM - however, I can also do it with just my watch and my normal route.  I'm luck that the trail I typically run is marked every .2 miles, and by some quick mental math, I can figure out my pace and if I'm where I should be.  I am starting to figure out my RPE with my HRM, and I don't have to look as often to stay within the zones I want to stay in.  Sunday is my long run: 10 miles at (roughly) 10 minutes per mile - this pace has been falling recently, as my HR is staying well within my zone (must be getting more fit!)  Tues: 5 miles at my 10K race pace, with 6-8 hill repeats after I'm done.  Thur: 5 miles at just under 10K pace, with several Fartleks thrown in (basically, I sprint past every walker and jogger that I pass, or just stride out 1/5 mile) for speed.  Friday is my off day, although I sometimes go run 5K as hard as I can.

To help build leg strength, I lift MWSa, and anytime I bike somewhere, I try to take the hilliest route so that I can build more leg strength.  Running and biking hills has really helped my running.

On your first tri, your run pace will be slow coming off the bike (unless you do plenty of bike-run bricks before the race).  Don't go all-out right away; your brain will know something's up, but it'll take a bit for your legs to figure it out.  Once that happens, you'll build into your typical 5K pace quick enough (for a sprint).  If you can afford it, get a heart-rate monitor and wear it for a couple of 5K or 10K runs, so that you can figure out your 'race pace', and then when the sprint tri comes around, you'll know what you can handle.

2004-10-09 11:03 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Intervals.....I do one of a few things.  You can use the treadmill, warm up with a short run, then do sprints for 30-60 sec, then jog to recover and repeat!  Or I go to the track and run either 200m or 400m fast and jog a lap to recover (and repeat).  Or I do hill repeats - I go to a steep hill, run up, and jog down - and repeat until I'm dead tired. 

Intervals help with speed, long slow runs help with endurance. 

2004-10-09 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Hey, no dumb questions here -

I think most of your concerns will slowly go away once you get some more experiance running. I have been running fairly consistantly for over 2 years, and I can now usually guess my heart rate within a 4 or 5 bpm. I can tell, by monitoring my breathing, as well as my sweat intensity. However, I too have gone out too fast in a 5K, and determined to keep up with someone (that had 40 years on me) almost tossed my cookies.

As you get more "time in the saddle" it will be much easier to set your pace. I would suggest not worrying too much about your pace now, try to get some miles in and cover the distances. Then you can gradually start focusing more on pace, and running intervals, etc.

You also should try to get in a few races - a local 5K or two before your sprint will go a long way to helping you through the pre-race jitters, as well as give you a good indiction of what you are able to do.
Good luck,

Dennis
2004-10-10 4:16 PM
in reply to: #70853

New user

Staffordshire, England
You mention a bike-run 'brick', and I've seen some mention in the training plans... what's it mean ?
2004-10-10 5:31 PM
in reply to: #70935

New user

Staffordshire, England
Ok, got it, found it on the Tri-Alphabet Soup article (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=208) - an excellent article for newbies such as myself.

2004-10-11 2:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-10-16 2:37 AM

I'm brand new to the running game, too. I have a simple theory on running: I only run when someone is chasing me, and then I don't run! (course when you're 6ft and 250, that isn't a problem, huh?)

Seriously, though, I am happy to have made it for 20 min straight on the treadmill without puking and maintaining a speed of 5.6.

I use intervals as a way to increase speed, but mainly as a way to increase my VO2 Max. They are more difficult on a treadmill, but one way to do it (aside from the jog then run) is to walk at a 2.5 for 1 min and then run at the fastest you can for 1 min and repeat the cycle. On the track I sprint the straight-aways and walk the curves very slowly. The walk should be the pace of a meander or so, but as soon as you get to the straight, it is a dead sprint.
They are also a great change of pace from the long-and-steady.

Eric

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A newbie question Rss Feed