General Discussion Triathlon Talk » does anyone wear a nose clip / plug? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
does anyone wear a nose clip / plug?
OptionResults
I DON'T wear one.27 Votes - [72.97%]
I DO wear one and am under 7 years old.0 Votes - [0%]
I DO wear one and am over 77 years old.0 Votes - [0%]
I DO wear one and am 7 - 77 years old.10 Votes - [27.03%]
I did wear one but then I turned 8 years old and stopped.0 Votes - [0%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2004-10-10 6:17 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: does anyone wear a nose clip / plug?
Does anyone wear a nose clip or plug? I guess there’s no hiding it, I’m ‘that’ guy. When I swim without it I can barely swim 20’. I’m not much better with the nose clip but the major problem is resolved and I am left to concentrate on problems 2 – 32. There may be additional problems but they haven’t been pointed out to me… yet. So, is it acceptable for a 27 year old to wear a nose clip? I’ve been told that they are for people under 7 or over 77. The people who told me that are not at all athletic so I told them to “f* off, at least I’m doing something”. My theory is if you’re trying then it doesn’t matter how awful you look.

2004-10-10 6:36 PM
in reply to: #70954

User image

Bryan, TX
Subject: RE: does anyone wear a nose clip / plug?
I'm a 40 year old male that wears a nose clip. I used to feel weird wearing one, but now I don't care! I'm more comfortable and relaxed with one and it helps tremendously in the open water. I have a problem of breathing in water through my nose and this prevents that and allows me to concentrate on my swimming.
2004-10-10 7:32 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
As if you think we all look so good wearing our wetsuits, goggles and caps at the beginning of a swim. We all look like a bunch of alien wackos.

What's a little nose clip compared to that?

Wear what makes you comfortable. I'd only listen to the criticism if it was (1) a long time swimmer who had a good reason for the comment or (2) your coach.

Edited by cadreamer 2004-10-10 7:33 PM
2004-10-10 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Yes. Its easier for me to breathl (30 something male.)
2004-10-10 9:04 PM

User image

Deland, FL
The stronger your breathing muscles, the more you will be able to control what oriface to breath from. Some people use a breathing exerciser, some breathe through a towel, and some just practice breathing in as quickly as possible and exhaling slowly.

Otherwise, just wear the nose clip and say F* them.
2004-10-10 10:24 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
I am a 33 year old female and I wear a noseclip.

It is great to be all grownup and not worry about what others think of me--

2004-10-10 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
I'm SO glad to see that 38% of us wear these things. I know the outfits are goofy but using different equipment than 'the norm' may have been crossing the line. Glad to see it's not! I've seen these breathing excersicers on ebay and keep meaning to start a thread here about their effectiveness but... don't. When I get done typing this I'll do it. Today I rode from the pool so I charnged into my spandex (which I'm so hott in) for the lifeguards to see that I'm not a doofus with the nose clip. I don't think the message was conveyed like I thought it would have been. Go figure!?!

So more about my problem, I just can't keep the water from flowing up my nose when I turn to take a breath. It's like I don't have the valve to shut off my nose. I broke my schnoz very badly when I was a kid so maybe that has something to do with it. I have problems with sucking in water through my mouth but I don't think I should seal that opening. The nose plug helped sort everything out so it was better today. What do you do with the wimpy rubber band on the nose clip? It seems very fragile.
2004-10-10 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Yup! I'm in the 35-39 age group :D and I wear one. I've toyed with learning how to swim without it, but honestly...why? Who cares what I look like and at least I'm out swimming instead of sitting on the couch getting fat (again).
2004-10-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #71019

User image

Deland, FL
The breathing exerciser works for me, but like everything it is a pain to start using. I also sing so I do other breathing exercises. Any type of breathing exercise will help. Try breathing through your nose while slightly pinching it shut, or breath through a towel (clean w/ no smell of detergent or bleach). Do this 30 times, breathing in as quickly as possible and exhaling normally. Make sure to expel all air from your lungs before breathing in; only breath while almost gasping for air. No need to pay for a breathing exerciser if something else works, i.e a nose clip.
2004-10-11 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Work on one thing at a time Dave. If wearing a nose plug gives you the mental clarity and in-water comfort to concentrate on your form, then F* them, F* the Queen, F* whomever - wear it. You are doing this for yourself, right? Worry about your swimming style, form, comfort in the water, etc. Now, the downside(s) to wearing one... It's another piece of gear that you can lose, break, etc. If you lose it during a race, you just might be miserable without it. Miserable enough to DNF? Well, that depends on your tolerance for water up your nose. The same could be said for goggles too. Just something to think about. For now though, keep working on the making your form permanent in your muscle's memory. Then start to ween yourself from the noseclip if you want to - but don't sweat the lettuce. Be comfortable, practice perfection and on the off chance of something happens, instinct kicks in and everyone is cool like Fonzie.

-Frank
2004-10-11 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Oh, and as far as the valve in your nose goes... It is a matter of breath control. It may not be easy, or come quickly to everyone, but it will come if you practice it. Perhaps after you're done with your laps, just lean over so that your face is in the water. As you put your face in the water, exhale a little through your nose. Then, when you exhale, as you're turning to breathe and most of your exhalation comes out of your mouth, breath a little out of your nose as your face is breaking the surface. That is, if you even want to practice it. If not, then ignore me.

I too have a permanently broken nose, a deviated septum from a high-speed-oral-soil-sampling incident as a teenager, so it's not impossible to learn. It just takes a little effort. Just keep swimming for now, and concentrate on your form. Do you have a deviated septum too? Can you put a 16 penny nail into the "OPEN" side for a party gag?

-Frank

2004-10-11 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Oviedo, FL
I'm 16 and I wear a noseclip. Started wearing one ever since a 14 year old boy died of amoeba in a local lake. But I only use it in the lakes, not pools.
2004-10-11 11:42 PM
in reply to: #70975

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

I never had any issues with water up the nose until I had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was 13. After that it felt like my nose was a tributary. I have started working on some breathwork when using a kickboard. I find that it's just easier to use the nose plug, but I should know what to do in case, heaven forbid, mid-triathlon I lose the plug.

I went to a swim clinic this summer and the person running it made me give her my plug. It was horrible. I made her give it back. You could tell she was irritated, but so what?! It's my nose and I'm sorry...it isn't like running where if I trip I can get back up. If I panic and take in a lungfull of water, I can die...so bite me if you don't like my nose plug! Hee hee!

2004-10-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: #71452

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
teechur - 2004-10-11 11:42 PM
  • ..but I should know what to do in case, heaven forbid, mid-triathlon I lose the plug.

• Mid-triathlon? Goodness, I hope you don't wear it on the bike - you should be done using it by T1... The point I was trying to make was that I think it's just peachy to wear one if that's your preference. Just give some thought to the worst-case and be prepared for it - even if it is just to be mentally prepared for it.

Risk analysis 101:
    1) Is it POSSIBLE to lose the nose plug during the race?
    2) How PROBABLE is it that you will lose it?
    3) What is the OUTCOME in the event that you lose it?
    4) How do YOU FIX an unwanted outcome?

Maybe it's my diving background, but every item of gear (including my brain and my dive buddy's brain), every thought process, every skill and every reaction that goes with me into the water goes through that process. Maybe a nose plug isn't a life or death thing (or maybe to you it is), but it can certainly hinder your performance if you lose it and don't have the rest of you trained to keep going. Maybe that's all I'm trying to say... Once you get to the point where your swimming is automagical, if you lose your nose plug in a race, then all that you have to worry about is water up your nose. Your body will take care of the swimming thing. If you make it through the swim leg with it intact, then no worries all around!

-Frank
    2004-10-12 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
    Sugar Hill, GA
    I wear one in training but not for the same reason as you do. I wear it because I get sinus problems from small amounts of inhaled water. The water triggers a response that occurs later in the day causing sneezing and a very runny nose. I take a Claritin D12 before swimming and wear the nose clip and have much less problems with congestion. There is another current thread where we are discussing this. I do not wear the nose clip when racing and really like to swim without it but cannot handle the after problems very well. When I do swim without the clip I exhale from my nose and that is one way you can prevent excessive water getting up your nose. I don't worry about what others think about the clip. I use the metal nose clip that has no retaining band and padded ends. I take it off at the end of each set for a little nose breathing and to reseat the clip.
    2004-10-12 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Thank you all for your support. I'm attempting to do a little work w/o the nose clip toward the end of my swims just to get acclimated but I don't like it. I think a better solution for the risk of losing the clip during a race would be to have a replacement clip ready to go. I thought about it a little more and it may be a good idea to have 2 or 3 extras, just in case. I'll keep trying without it but everything seems to work more fluidly without ingesting a gallon of water through my schnoz during each lap. My goals in the other diciplines are all performance based, yet my goal for swimming is to lose the nose clip. This is going to be hard but perhaps achievable. When I succeed I'll start a new thread. Thansk again for your confidence in me!!!

2004-10-12 11:59 AM

User image

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Carrying extras is just as good an answer as anything I said. I was hoping to see someone would come up with that answer. So instead of practicing without the nose plug, practice taking one off, and putting another one on. Being able to tread water comfortably without your hands might be a good skill Best of luck!

-Frank
    2004-10-12 2:25 PM

User image

Pro
    Helena, MT
    I've never worn a nose plug and I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've only gotten water up my nose. It's just not a problem for me at all. However, I've never even thought twice about those who do. I've been a swimmer all my life and I've never heard anyone trash those with nose plugs, never thought it, anything. I think whoever you're talking to has a complex. Don't worry about.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » does anyone wear a nose clip / plug? Rss Feed