General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate breakfast so.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-25 7:13 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: I hate breakfast so....
I have to do something about it.

Usually get through the first 4 hours or so on coffee but as mornings is my training time then I will have to have something to get me going. Can't be arsed to do solids so even though I HATE shakes etc, I make making a huge effort tomorrow to get up and do a healthy nbreakfast shake to start the day.

I am not a huge fruit fan either but I reckon it will get most of the fruit I need for the day in one hit. And then I'll drink coffee!!

The good thing is if I don;t like a shake I can leave it for the wife for finish and she'll clear up

Unless I make this public I will not do it - so here we are bye bye to the beer and hello shakes

Banana, cherry, strawberry, blueberry, orange, raspberry and yoghurt all ready to hit the blender tomorrow AM.

I have to do it now. :-O :-O

any other ideas for breakfast ???

Edited by mikenhe 2004-01-25 7:13 PM

2004-01-25 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4916

Regular
South Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: I hate breakfast so....
I've been doing the eggs and potatoes thing for breakfest. all home made stuff of course. Hash browns and softboiled eggs. Good stuff, I'd say that I'm addicted to them now. ;-)
2004-01-26 3:54 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
I am sick of eggs, I am sick of shakes, I'm sick of breakfast and the mess it makes (Dr. Seuss eat your heart out!)

ok, never mind that. How about some tuna on an english muffin? That's one of my favorites. Or some protein powder added to oatmeal. But breakfast does not have to be typical breakfast foods. Try having some leftovers from last night's dinner. My son is having peanut butter & jelly right now. ewwww.

I had a recipe for pancakes made with ground oatmeal that was pretty good. If I find it or remember it I'll post it in the food section.

2004-01-26 4:18 AM

User image

Expert
England

Mike

You dont mention cereals at all? What about porridge (ideally the uncut porridge oat varieties) - before you right it off, it can be great if you add a little maple syrup to sweeten it or a handful of dried fruit, sultanas etc and it will get you off to a great start. When I'm up at 5am to get to my office I need a fast breakfast so just chuck all the dry ingredients in a bowl the night before, when I have the motivation, and measure the milk into a cup in the fridge, so in the bleery morning haze I just pour over and bung in the microwave for 2 mins while I make my strong coffee!

I also like shakes with a handful of cereal in them - granola or muesli, with fruit, yoghurt, milk or whatever. Dont forget you can do all these the night before when you're likely to be more motivated and just stir and go! You could also put it into a flask and have it a little later when you feel more up to it?

Keep experimenting until you find a few you like and make it a habit for a few weeks until it sticks - good luck.

Damon

2004-01-26 4:39 AM

User image

New Hampshire
I can just about cope with shredded wheat and cornflakes. Raisins – yuck. Maybe I could get away with some oatmeal in the smoothie – like the fridge overnight and the flask idea – that might work. I could even do the smoothie the night before and drink it in the car!
2004-01-26 4:53 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Mike, try adding a scoop of unflavored protein to the smoothie! We do this for my daughter who doesn't eat enough and she thinks its a dessert (with strawberries, banana and straw/ban flavored yogurt).

My most common breakfast is Fat Free light yogurt with low fat cottage cheese (small curd). I don't like cottage cheese, but mixed with the yogurt, I don't taste it. Give it a try. It is also very simple to prepare.

On weekends, I have scrambled egg whites (with one yolk for color) and oatmeal with cinn and Splenda.

2004-01-26 5:00 AM
in reply to: #4940

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Dinner leftovers work. Personally I like a bagel, eggs, and the fifth food group: coffee. Cereal is pretty easy to deal with too.
2004-01-26 9:51 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX
I like a bagel and a piece of fruit. Even if I'm going to work out right away, the bagel doesn't seem to bother me too much. Peanut butter toast also seems to do the trick for me. Oh yeah, and lots of coffee - with half and half! I've got to let the half and half go, though. I use way too much of it.
2004-01-26 9:56 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
I like my smoothie. Milk, fruit of my choice and a scoup of protien powder, and I am ready to go. I hate breakfast, or should I say strongly dislike it, but I know that when I have breakfast it gets my metabolism going for the start of the day.
2012-06-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4999

Expert
Like they say in the comercial, "If it ain't eggs it ain't breakfast!"  My family doesn't eat most breakfast foods either and I still have trouble comprehending how anyone can turn down a plate full of bacon, eggs, home-fries and toast!
2012-06-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4267431

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-06-18 2:09 PM

Pro
, New Hampshire
Hate to tell you this... but you just have to start eating breakfast... You need to get the calories in the morning, rather than the evening...

If you think about it, most of us eat upside-down... very little in the morning, a small lunch and a sizable dinner. Yet, when we sleep, we need the least amount of calories (but we do need calories, and especially proteins to rebuild)...

Find something you like for breakfast... omelette with veggies, meats, potatoes, whatever you like... Try to get at least 1/3 of you daily calories in before lunch... so breakfast and some kind of snack. If you can, flip-flop lunch and dinner... have a sizable lunch and smaller dinner.

If you can't find something that works for you for breakfast, start cooking extra for dinner and have that for breakfast. Don't worry about eating a heavier breakfast... you'll actually start eating less for dinner as you're not as hungry.
2012-06-18 2:26 PM

Expert

Ok, My bad...

I sorted the posts backwards and was reading through posts from early 2004.

Oops!

I suppose that would explain why none of them looked familiar.

2012-06-18 2:30 PM

Veteran

I love all meals - especially breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks!

Here's a decent smoothie: 1 cup whole oats, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup V8 fusion, 1 scoop whey.

A couple of bananas will fuel a workout as well.

2012-06-18 3:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
England
Well its been 8 years Mike.  If youre still here - hows the breakfast dilemma coming along?
2012-06-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4267479

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: I love breakfast

I love breakfast, it's my luxury time before I have to perform and before I'm exhausted, it's my favorite meal.

When I have the time I go to the bakery to get fresh bread, have bread, honey and marmelade. And I love the fresh bread with just butter. Otherwise just cereals. I mix different cereals, the high fibre oat flakes, all bran flakes, müsli, wheat and rice flakes, whatever the mix, about 100g then add 0,25l milk - yes, I've made it a habit to take the weight out. 

I'll have a kiwi and a glass of orange juice. In the strawberry season I'll eat as much as 500g strawberries a day! Some for breakfast on top of the cereals or just by themselves. I actually gained weight over this last strawberry season, despite the training.

Oh, no, I didn't forget the coffee, but I'll have my moka espresso with the coffee roasted at my local coffee shop. Two cups of intense pleasure, and normally that's all I'll have for the day, because the lousy coffee at work just doesn't make it worth the time.

So, what's the point of this?

Well, first you've got to find something you like, something you can vary so you don't get tired of it, find the pleasures of breakfast or your good intentions will be short lived.

Second, find something that you actually eat, and not drink. It means that digestion will be slower you'll feel full for a longer time. Studies show that people who skip breakfast have a higher total calorie intake. 

And don't think you'll get through the day on coffee only. From what you write, maybe you should consider a detox.

Btw, you can add fruit to your meals in many ways, I love adding orange or strawberries to a green leaf salad.

2012-06-18 4:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Straight outta Central Flurrrrrida

eggs

oatmeal

---legit oatmeal, not none of that sugary filled crap from Quaker or store brands. get agave nectar and dried organic fruit. for example, many dried rasins/cranberries have preservatives and are impregnated with sugar

all-natural/organic greek yogurt, NOT regular yogurt. way too much sugar in american yogurt.

GRANOLA BAR

-again, all natural. you can find LOTS of bad juju ingredients in granola bars. Try Clif or Kashi brands, those are popular.

boom.

2012-06-18 9:23 PM

Extreme Veteran

Bob's Red Mill makes some nice hot cereals that are solids but more along the lines of cream of wheat texture.  I'm a big fan of the Tasty Hot Cereal.

And really, hate breakfast?  That's my favorite meal of the day.  If I could eat breakfast all day, I'd be a happy guy.

2012-06-18 9:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Lots of great ideas here.  Keep at it and you'll learn to LOVE your breakfast.  It's the most important change you can make if you want to change yourself.

One thing I like to do is sprinkle cinnamon on my almond butter on toast or on my oatmeal.  You could add a bit to almost anything you like.

I also enjoy 2 eggs scrambled with salsa, fast and easy to make.

Try things - find some things you do like that'll make it easier for you.

2012-06-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4268350

Veteran
Worcester, MA

well, since this was resurrected, if people are looking for ideas...

I am allergic/intolerant to most "traditional" breakfast foods (eggs and all wheat products are out), plus I can't start my day with a giant heaping of carbs or I'm hungry again in about five minutes.

I eat either plain, nonfat greek yogurt with berries in it (fresh if possible), or a mix of ground turkey with a bit of mashed sweet potatoes.  Both can be prepped in advance, then I can just grab them in the AM and eat them at my desk over the course of the morning.   I typically train in the PM, or if I do train in the AM, I grab a bar pre-workout (typically the RISE protein+ bars).

2012-06-19 11:57 AM

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I too have never been able to eat a "normal" breakfast.

For the past twenty years I start my day with coffee and strawberry frosted poptarts.  I have a drawer in my desk full of boxes of them.  When I get to work its a trip to the coffee maker and toaster.  Same everyday.   

2012-06-19 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4269421

Veteran

DON'T EAT BREAKFAST!!  Read this:  http://jap.physiology.org/content/110/1/236.full

I find it really helps with weight loss also.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate breakfast so.... Rss Feed