General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Butcher Jones Swimming conditions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-08 3:16 PM

Veteran
Mesa, az
Subject: Butcher Jones Swimming conditions
Anyone know what the conditions are up at Butcher Jones lately? My local pool/training spot just shut down since all the kids are in school next week. I am figuring on replacing Tuesdays morning workout with an OWS at Butcher Jones since it is close. If it is yucky though maybe I will go up to canyon (but I prefer Butcher jones as you can swim along the shore there easier in case of problems when you aren't with others).

2007-08-08 5:12 PM
in reply to: #918602

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: RE: Butcher Jones Swimming conditions

It has been yucky (that's a technical term) for the last month or so. I emailed SRP about how to predict what the water will be like and I got this back:

The Daily Water Report provides a 24-hr snapshot of reservoir conditions.  However, within the 24-hr period the lake levels can fluctuate several feet.  Typically, electricity is generated at Mormon Flat Dam during the hottest part of the day which could cause Saguaro Lake to rise.  Water can then be pumped back from Saguaro Lake back into Canyon Lake overnight.  Water demand from the Salt River is also met through releases at Stewart Mountain Dam.  The water ultimately comes from Roosevelt Dam but when it is moved through the lower Salt reservoirs is done to maximize the economic benefit.

Here's the water report: http://www.srpwater.com/dwr/report.asp

So Canyon will almost always be deeper and nicer because they drain Saguaro to fill Canyon. That said we're giving Saguaro a try again this Thursday night @ 5:15.

2007-08-08 6:11 PM

Veteran
Mesa, az
So it is even yucky over by the rocks on the right side of the bay? I was wondering if the drainages after monsoon storms might contribute too.
2007-08-13 11:14 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
I know the times that you were talking about. I gotta tell you when the water is so think that you cant see your hand on its down stroke, thats gotta be nasty. Hwoever I was out there this past weekend and the water was "clear" so to speak. It alittle warm, but clear than the last three weeks.

We are trying again this Saturday, I can only imgine what it will feel and look like after this weeks record high temps.

P.s. if you think Butcher Jones is guey wait until Tempe Timex. (Chunky)
2007-08-14 6:46 PM

Veteran
Mesa, az
This morning the water was nice.
2007-08-21 11:33 AM

Veteran
Mesa, az
Water was waay down at Butcher Jones this morning but the water quality was good. Just wanted to let everyone know that sometimes low water has good conditions too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Butcher Jones Swimming conditions Rss Feed