General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Sprint Triathlon Training plan 3x" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-12 10:11 AM

New user

Subject: "Sprint Triathlon Training plan 3x"
Hi, my name is Nikki, and I'm just getting into triathlon.

I am beyond the point of experimenting with swimming, biking and running, and now I need to get serious about training. Right now I just throw in a little bit of swimming, biking, running and lifting into my week and call it training, but I know I need to move on to something more serious. I am in search of a plan (or information on how to develop a plan) that details exactly how much, what intensity, etc. I was an athlete in high school (i'm now in college) so I have a moderate running background. nothing to boast about, but I have some idea as to what to do with running. Swimming I'm brand new to, and biking well, I'm catching on. I am also in search of a masters team in Newark, DE (where I go to school), so if anyone knows any information about that, please please please please let me know!

So I came across a 20-week training plan for a sprint triathlon and figured that was about right. The plan is called "Sprint Triathlon Training plan 3x." I found it on this website, using the "Couch to Sprint" link on the left hand side bar of the main beginnertriathlon.com page. I read through the program and the descriptions, but since I know nothing about putting together an endurance training program, I am still skeptical. It sounds great, but I have absolutely no way of knowing if it's really what I'm looking for. My goal is not only to finish a sprint distance triathlon, but to be at least somewhat competitive in my age group as well. I will be 20 when I first "tri" this spring/summer, and I'm guessing that's a pretty competitive age group for women. I dont think I'll be winning a triathlon anytime soon, but my goals definately go beyond "just finishing." I guess that's just my competitive streak coming out. I've desperately tried to stifle that competitive urge since I'm so new to swimming and biking and I'm not an accomplished runner or anything, but it just won't let me be! :-)

So, in short, my question is: has anyone ever followed this training plan or another like it, and did that work out well? Also, considering my goals, is this the training plan I'm looking for?

I would reallllllly appreciate any and all advice on the matter, because I just can't wait to get my "official" training underway!! Thanks!

Nikki
[email protected]

2004-10-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: #71555

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: "Sprint Triathlon Training plan 3x"
Welcome to BT, you will find tons of great resources here and the training plans are a good guide. Currently I am in the midst of the couch to 5k, although I have been biking fairly seriously for the last year or two and have a decent cario base, I been been trying to get into running without getting injured and this program seems to be fitting the bill. Right now I am running 15min at a stretch, which is longer than I have ever run before and at a better pace (approx 13km/h) than when I was a teenager. After that I plan to go to the 2x sprint program (modified for my needs) and then to the 2x olympic program to finish several sprints and an oly distance next year.

As I mentioned, these program are going to be modified for what I need and you will need to do the same (ability, dedication, free time, etc). One of the big differences you will find between the couch to programs and others you may find is that they are big on volume but do not include any real build phase. The idea is that for your first season you will be able to finish (and do so comfortably) and then move to a more advanced program. In fact, much of the literature you will find (or at least that I have found) does not encourage going for it within the first season of competition, rather training appropriately and staying injury free is the focus.
2004-10-12 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Hi and Welcome!

I modified the Couch to Sprint for my initial training, and was able to complete two tris this past season.  However, since I always felt that I could do a little more, I tried to push the intensity or volume a little more.  Now I'm ready to take on some longer distance tris, and I'm working on increasing my base in each discipline.  So, yes, they do work - don't feel that you have to follow them exactly though.  If you're feeling tired, take an extra rest day; if you're feeling particularly energetic, it won't hurt to do a little more, go a little faster, etc.

2004-10-12 10:55 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Nikki, welcome. You are about to embark on something that will change your life and you will love forever.

My story is very similar to yours. I didn't just want to finish but wanted to place in my age group. It took me 2 races to finish in the top 3 in my age group (25-29). I had a running background and a small biking background but was new to swimming. I haven't personally done the 3x plan but I briefly looked over it and it will be more than enough to get you started. I think it's what you are looking for. You've got plenty of time to start training and get in good shape by the time of your first tri.

Not that your age group won't be competitive but it won't be nearly as competive as you may think. Believe it or not but the ones who win the whole thing will be in their thirties. It seems for at least the women's race, the 30-34 age group or even the 35-39 are the most competitive and the fastest. Depending upon the size of your first tri, there may only be a handful of people in your age group.

Go ahead and pick a race. Then do some research on that race. There should be race results posted from this past year. See how many were in your age group and what kind of times they had. It will give you a idea of what to shoot for.
2004-10-12 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Great to see another one join the fold. I'm currently in week 10 of the very plan that you mention and I started from scratch - coach potato. My take on this plan is that it is a great one for base building. Odds are that by the time you are done with the 16 week program you'll have a great base built up and be ready for some early races in 2005. The only problem I'm having with the 3x program right now is time, or the lack of time that I have due to my 3 winkles involved in so many sports and activities. Not sure how much free time you have being in school, winter breaks etc, but the requirements really don't get up there until week 10 or so where you start hitting the longer bike rides. Regardless I'm very happy with it so far.
2004-10-12 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Another good resource is "Triathlon 101" by John Mora.

2004-10-12 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

i guess like most others mentioned, this is just a simple base builder that really works well.  please note that these plans don't focus on speed or getting you faster at all...thats done on purpose.  i feel, beginners need to stick with the slow, endurance (especially if new to multisports) to build a safe base.  if you try to start working in speedwork in your first season on a body that has little base, your gonna be more prone to injury.

i see from yor logs that you can run 25min no problem, bike an hour, swim 30minutes.  do the olympic if you feel the sprint is below your current athletic levels.  you will have plenty of time to train for it for a few 2005 races and may be more challenging.

on the other hand, if you want competitiveness in the sprints this upcoming season, and have somewhat consistently ran, bike and swam this year - a coach or a 'paid' plan could help you reach your personal goals faster.  these here are generic, cookie-cutter plans that are good for most who want to finish the first triathlon without puking up a lung.  a custom plan will more identify your limiters and can get you to your personal, peak levels faster - but they come with a price.

a thing to look forward to, we are developing a more 'intense' sprint plan that will be ready by the years end.  it will be 20 weeks long and will work on increasing speed, and using periodization for maximum performance.

good luck

2004-10-13 6:07 PM
in reply to: #71611

New user

Thank you so much for replying! I am really excited about this plan, but I have a zillion questions. I tend to ask every possible question rather than sit on them and wonder about it--hope that's ok!

First and most importantly--I just started regularly using this log, so I'm still tweaking it to figure out how I want to put all of my information in. When I say I swam 30 minutes, that means I was in the pool for 30 minutes. :-) Swimming is DEFINATELY my weakest link. My swimming background is limited to swimming lessons at age 8! The only technique work I know is what I've read online combined with what a former-swimmer friend of mine has shared with me. I also lack endurance in the pool--BIG TIME. The most I've completed without taking a few breaths every time I get to either side of the pool is a 100. yikes!! So my most pressing question is this: when the plan calls for a 16 minute swim, does that mean 16 minutes total (with all my "breathers") or does it have to be continuous swim? Right now I don't think I CAN do 16 minutes of straight swimming. So if the plan does call for 16 minutes of straight swimming, how should I go about working up to that?

I think I only have one more inquiry at the moment: I have upped the running times to my present level. I was running much more than 25 minutes up until two weeks ago when I got really sick, (I shouldn't have taken so much time off but its a little too late now!), but I started this week (week 1) at 25 minutes because I know next week will bring longer times!! However, is it ok to run much more than I bike and swim? My running times are much longer than my swim and sometimes even my bike times, and I just need to make sure that that's ok.

Thank you very much for replying to my post, and for the wonderful training plans you've devised (or helped devise--however it works)! I have been searching for a reliable plan for a while now, because I know if I try to do it myself I will go too hard too soon and I will end up injured. I had terrible shin splints for 4+ months this past spring/summer, and the last thing I want to do is repeat that incident!!! So I have decided to follow this plan with a few minor tweaks, and put speed training aside until after next season.

Thanks again! Take care!

Nikki

2004-10-13 6:18 PM
in reply to: #71572

New user

Hi, thanks for your reply! I am brand new to swimming also, and I was wondering, do you have any tips or suggestions on how to get started? I can hardly do a 100 without dying--most of the time I swim for 30 mins or more, but I stop at every side or every other side for a "breather" (and these breathers can range from 10 seconds to a whole minute). Do you have any advice on how to build that swimming endurance? How'd you do it?

Thanks

Nikki
2004-10-13 6:36 PM
in reply to: #71604

New user

I actually have that book at home! I read it cover to cover when my triathlon obsession first began this past summer. :-)
Unfortunately, when I moved back into school, I forgot it! I do recall there being some very valuable information in there, so I will go back and check it out. Thanks!
2004-10-13 11:43 PM
in reply to: #72123

User image

Champion
Gold member

i built swiming endurance like this: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=122

econway has an excellant treatise on it at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=256

our other writers have some good articles at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=19

basically i used the 'switch to my rest stroke technique' for my first tri years ago instead of actually resting between laps as i was stubborn.  i had to prepare to swim a mile and damn if i was gonna practice with actual rests.  it worked but not necessarily the best.  econway uses several seconds of real rest between certain yardages...this is the better way to go in retrospect.  this is how i swim now and how most structure there routines - with rest.

log the swims with the minutes you actually swam - especially if your caluclating a pace.  although im lazy and still add in my rest stops - they only add a couple minutes to the time.

good luck.

2004-10-14 7:14 PM

New user

Ron,

I too have this goal, am mainly seasoned in all three areas not competitively and would like to work on speed increases. You mentioned a price for plan/coaching but didn't say where. Is this something that this site offers? Is so can you post the link.

Have been searching the internet and haven't found a whole lot to my satisfaction.

Great site!

Edited by flyfishergirl 2004-10-14 7:26 PM
2004-10-14 9:17 PM

, Alabama

luckyshot176 My goal is not only to finish a sprint distance triathlon, but to be at least somewhat competitive in my age group as well. I will be 20 when I first "tri" this spring/summer, and I'm guessing that's a pretty competitive age group for women. Nikki [email protected]

I don't know where you live, but from my experience on the east coast, there are relatively few women under age 25 doing tri's (particularly the smaller local races).  Even if there were, you might want to reconsider any lofty goals on your first tri and just concentrate on enjoying yourself.  Anything can happen in a tri, even in a sprint.  Don't worry about placing until you get your feet wet, so to speak.  Best of luck in training!

Sharon

2004-10-14 9:25 PM

New user

Thank you for your vote of youth... I think! Am 40 and well do have a competitive spirit and am greatly enjoying myself while embarking upon this quest! And well at the saying goes or at least mine... anything worth doing is worth doing well.

"A type" personality can you tell?

Live in MST and it's really cold here today!

Cheers,

...and now I digress it's "old age" your post wasn't for me. Sorry! Did love that youthful feeling for the 1 minute though!

Edited by flyfishergirl 2004-10-14 9:27 PM
2004-10-15 12:28 AM
in reply to: #72535

User image

Champion
Gold member

i think a couple of members got coaching through www.markallenonline.com  with excellant results... www.trainingpeaks.com (formerly trainingbible) has some online plans that other members have used.

we dont offer that yet as we r still building the logs to do this in the future.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Sprint Triathlon Training plan 3x" Rss Feed