Parks & Rec
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Check-in 1 hour before starting time, packet pick-up and body marking (#89), organized transition area, hydrated, bathroom, talked to other athletes.
Event warmup:

Movement Prep (10 minutes); warm-up pool swam 1 easy lap.
Swim
  • 14m
  • 450 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still some difficulty getting into a good tempo with stroke and breath. Swam at about 65% of my max, exertion felt very easy. Could have worked harder but wanted to save it for the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a little longer, emphasize hip rotation and long glides earlier in the swim. Took about 200 to get that together.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Some difficulty putting running top on, the back kept getting caught in my HR chest monitor. Lost about 30 seconds with that.

Overall I'm happy with T1, much faster then in the SLO Tri. Had to run farther to get to enter and exit area but not a big deal.
Bike
  • 39m
  • 12 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Really good leg, felt very strong and aerodynamic, especially in aerobars. No missed gears and rode most of the race in the big ring (19 mph average).

Secure watter bottle better
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Used Body Glide before I put on knee brace and it was much easier. Spent extra time hydrating and eating 1/2 access bar before leaving T area.

Nothing, T2 went very well.
Run
  • 36m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Started at a HR pace of 135, after 1/2 mile up to 145 and then stayed between 145 and 155 for entire race. Did not walk once (ran the entire race!), knee felt really good and I found a stride that did not bother me. Felt like I could have even pushed harder and ran faster but big improvement over SLO! Talked, encouraged and said thank you to all event workers on the route (even the cops) and had a few high fives from other athletes. Drank water and remaining 1/2 access bar at turn.

Run a little harder. I think that my cardio has improved so that I can run at a HR of 147-155. Will study (read CHI-RUNNING book) to determine if I can improve my stride technique. Belly breathe more instead of breathing just with my chest. I started doing this at mile 2 and really felt a difference.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched and hydrated. Enjoyed a big kiss from Bec and a lick from Sophie (my mini-doxie), posed for a pic at the finish line with several other competitors from my swim group. Took a moment to enjoy the accomplishment and feeling of satisfaction completing my second Tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight is still an issue. If I want to get serious about competing then I need to get about 20-30 lbs off. Training is going well, I'm so far ahead of myself compared to 1 year ago it's amazing. Liked the 2 day taper, (no workouts last 2 days), I felt strong, motivated and really good.

Event comments:

Needed more drink stations, only had one on the run course (at 1/2 way point) and none on the bike. Need to double that amount, only had water no electrolyte drinks (gatorade...). Liked the idea of a warmup pool, really nice aquatic facility in Lompoc, water was warm and clean. Overall site was good and I'll do the event again next year. Again (like SLO) no transition times available so my times are estimates based on my watch. No medals, T-shirts are coming in the mail and were not given to us at the time of the event.

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 450 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: 10 laps in 25 yard pool. 4 swimmers in each lane, swim counterclockwise.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:00 | 12 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Flat terrain, some wind out-going but not severe. Rode in aerobars almost the entire route. Passed many riders and was not passed by anyone! Lost my waterbottle from frame rack 1/2 way through ride so did not hydrate as much as I wanted during the ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 19
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:00 | 03.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Course: Flat 3.1 mile run, concrete out, asphalt in.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-08-11 7:58 PM

Subject: Lompoc Triathlon

2007-08-12 11:04 AM
in reply to: #922363

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Subject: RE: Lompoc Triathlon
Awesome my friend! I was delighted to read about your run! Reading this is just pumping me more and more for my 1st tri!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lompoc Triathlon Rss Feed