General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I know when it's right? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-12 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: How do I know when it's right?
I have been trying to figure out my nutrition for longer rides (forgive me I do not keep my logs updated) but how do you know when the nutrition is right. I finish some rides and I feel water logged but I have energy and there are other rides when I drink hardly anything but I still have the same amount of energy as with drinking during the ride. ( I hope I am making since) Some days I want to drink and other days I could care less. I have however done a couple of bricks and during the run my I can hear and feel my stomach sloshing (sp?) away. I don't want to BONK on the run.

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks

2007-08-12 7:06 PM
in reply to: #922865

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: How do I know when it's right?
General rule of thumb is you should weigh the same amount(nude) before and after your exercise. Heavier, you drank too much, lighter and you drank too little.

If you are sloshing, you may want to start sipping water instead of gulping it. Do you carry water bottles on your runs? If not, and you find yourself gulping down tons of water, this could be causing that full stomach feeling.

Otherwise, i go by the mantra of "if I am thirsty, drink." If I am on really long runs/rides I will make sure I bring something such as gatorade or tablets to replace the electrolytes though. If it is really really hot, Ill eat a salt packet after a couple hours.
2007-08-12 7:11 PM
in reply to: #922865

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: How do I know when it's right?

Best way is to figure out your sweat rate; then try to replace that with liquid. Try to take in 270 calories an hour and see how it works and adjust from there. My coach told me that 270 is the starting point for most folks. Calculate how much you drink and how many calories it is then figure out how many more calories and what you want to eat.

For me I sweat 46 oz on the bike, 56 oz while running.

When I ride I drink Gatorade Endurance, set my watch timer to beep every 20' and eat 33-50 calories each beep and chase that with water as I try to keep my % of carbs at the right level so my stomach can empty. I try to drink up to 40 oz an hour but normally get only in 36 oz. I've been doing this for every long ride since May and it works for me.

One day I stopped a lot waiting for others and ate more food while waiting, my stomach felt yucky and it was a great lesson to keep up with the program that works for me. 

I make baggies of food for say 1.5 hours or if I'm doing loops or will be stopping for more liquid , and keep a log of how much I drank of each GE and water for each 1.5 hour loop and if I varied from my eating plan. I keep my record in my blog just so I have the information so I can learn from it if need be. 

Plus I need extra sodium so I need to take in 700 mg when training and up to 1000 when racing per hour.

Before my long rides I calculate out my hydration, nutrition, sodium per hour and make sure I have everything set so it is easy to execute. 

I get to do a lot of math while riding to make sure I'm on target and adjust if necessary. If I drink less GE then I need to take more Lava Salts.

By practicing every ride I can do it easily and have learned to listen to my body and adjust if necessary. 

Your variation on wanting to drink or not may be effected by your pre-ride hydration levels. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I know when it's right? Rss Feed