General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first Tri - Golden State Tri, Sacramento, CA, 10/17 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-12 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: My first Tri - Golden State Tri, Sacramento, CA, 10/17
I'm entering my first Triathlon this coming Sunday. It's the Golden State Triathlon here in Sacramento, CA (where I live). http://www.tbfracing.com/04_events/04_gstri.htm

It's a Sprint Tri -- .5mi swim, 15mi bike, 3mi run. My main goal is just to complete it, but it would be great if I could complete it in less than 2 hours. I've been training, although maybe not as much as I should have, and can do all the distances. I have done bricks of more than the distances (last night I did 1000m swim and 4mi run). In fact, one day I did all the distances (although the biking was split up over the morning and evening rides to/from work/gym).

I'm a little worried about the swim. It's a lot different at the gym than in the open water with hundreds of other athletes. I've been working on my technique and am able to go the race distance doing freestyle at the gym. But at the gym you get to stop at the end of each leg (25m) and in the open water, there are no stops. I swam at the race site a couple of weeks ago and there are places where you can stand up in the river, so I guess if it gets bad, I can do that or just float on my back or whatever. The river's also kinda dirty, but I'm used to inhaling/drinking massive amounts of chlorine at the gym, so I guess I'll be OK.

I'm entering in the Clydesdale class (over 200lbs). I'm at about 235-240, my highest weight in a decade. I'm hoping that tri'ing will help me get back into shape.

Wish me luck!

2004-10-12 2:35 PM
in reply to: #71659

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: My first Tri - Golden State Tri, Sacramento, CA, 10/17
Good luck!

My first tri is this Sunday too. Are you nervous? I am, probably because I don't know what to expect. But it will be nice to see all of this training pay off and finally get to the race.

Be sure to post a race report when you're done, so that we can find out how it all went.
2004-10-12 4:23 PM

User image

Folsom, CA
I did my first Tri in August...the TBF Racing Tri for Fun out in Ranch Seco Park. I'm also a Clydesdale and my training was similar to what you described. I was able to finish in just under 2 hours-so you can too! I think the key is to just relax during the race and have fun-you're not going to set the world on fire your first time. My legs were dead for the run and I had to gut out that part of the race. I wish I had done more run training prior to the race and that I 'd taken the bike part of the race just a little slower.

Anyway-good luck you'll do fine. Have fun.
2004-10-13 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

It sounds like you're ready. I did my first tri this year and one thing I did that I recommend you avoid is starting out too fast in the swim. I didn't really pay attention to my pace, tried to keep up with the pack and at 50 yards I was out of it. Just do your race, forget about everyone else and I bet you'll beat your target time.

Good luck and don't forget to post a race report!

2004-10-13 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Thank you all for your responses and support. Yes, I am a bit nervous -- fear of the unknown and self-doubt, I guess. It helps to see that everyone out there has their challenges just like me. Thanks for the reminders that I'm doing my race at my pace and not to try to keep up if that's not working. I have noticed that my swims are more successful if I relax and kinda go slow -- I actually end up going faster because I can maintain a freestyle stroke for the entire workout.

Good luck, PirateGirl! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in doing a Tri for the first time this Sunday. Davecarter, I'm impressed that you finished in 2 hours. You are an inspiration for me to do the same.

I'll be sure to post a race report afterwards.
2004-10-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: #72045

Hi! I am also going to be in this triathlon, I have done a race at this park back in August. The swim and bike were a little shorter but it was great fun. Don't worry, I smiled the entire time. I too hope to finish in 2 hours. We should try to hook up and wish each other luck before the race.

2004-10-15 2:33 PM
in reply to: #72777

User image

Expert
Yeah, let's meet before the race. I don't know the site very well so I don't know where to do that... maybe the entrace to the bikes? BTW, I'm 6'2", shaved head, goatee. Here's a picture so you'll recognize me: http://profiles.yahoo.com/ellismichael.
2004-10-16 1:04 AM
in reply to: #72821

Your picture didn't work. How about we say hi at the entrance of the transisiton area at 0735, I'll know my race number by then and will IM you the number when you get yours you can do the same. Also, you know it's going to be like in the 50's when we get out of the lake, how do plan to dress for the bike. Also I guess it may rain, I've never ridden my bike in the rain, that makes me pretty nervous.
2004-10-16 9:47 PM
in reply to: #73086

User image

Expert
The pic didn't work because of the period at the end. Anyway, I'm planning on getting there shortly after 7am so I can meet you at the T-area entrance at 7:35. My number is 76.

Got the bike all ready today -- it's getting exciting!

BTW, I arrived at the store to pick up my packet at about 9:15 this morning and I was the first one there. The next person showed up about 20 minutes later and the line didn't form until about 10 till. I got a free shirt but it doesn't fit right. Oh well, show's my enthusiasm, eh?
2004-10-17 12:16 AM
in reply to: #73268

Great! My number is 30, see you there!!!
2004-10-19 1:09 PM

User image

Chesterfield, MI
Good luck to all of you. I wanted to do that one but I had to work. It seems that all the up coming events are on weekends I work! I think I'll plan out a couple months and request leave to ensure I get to do it. Also that will make a pretty cool vacation huh! I'll have to pick a nice spot. Won't be hard though. seems that most Tri's are in nice places.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first Tri - Golden State Tri, Sacramento, CA, 10/17 Rss Feed