General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Abs cramping! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-14 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
Subject: Abs cramping!

So, sunday I did my first HIM.  I think it went really well for me except for getting ab cramps on the run.  These were not GI distress cramps but genuine abdominal muscle cramps (nice and sore the next day).  I have not had issues in training and suspect dehydration and perhaps lack of electrolytes was the cause.  Anyone else had this issue before?  Any thoughts?

-Mark

2007-08-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: #925042

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Abs cramping!
bigslowguy - 2007-08-14 9:43 AM

So, sunday I did my first HIM.  I think it went really well for me except for getting ab cramps on the run.  These were not GI distress cramps but genuine abdominal muscle cramps (nice and sore the next day).  I have not had issues in training and suspect dehydration and perhaps lack of electrolytes was the cause.  Anyone else had this issue before?  Any thoughts?

-Mark

Both those item are possible contributors to the cramps.  Fitness is also typically a contributor and would be my primary guess.

2007-08-14 12:08 PM
in reply to: #925107

Extreme Veteran
That's why I've avoided having abs.
2007-08-14 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Mark- I just did my first HIM 2 weeks ago and last week I did two long bikes in 95+ heat. Until the HIM I have never had any issues but during the run and on both of my long bikes I had crazy ab cramping too. My coach is telling me it was dehydration since I was one water bottle behind on the bike and couldn't even drink it on the run because I kept cramping up.

I suppose I learned that I just need to drink more and make myself do it. I didn't feel thirsty so i wasn't drinking. We all live and learn I suppose.

-Kevin
2007-08-15 6:57 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO

Thanks for all the input. 

While my fitness could always be improved, none of the distances were long for me.  It was a VERY HOT which makes me think dehydration especially given I lost 2-3% bodyweight after having re-hydrated a good bit.  The interesting part (for me anyhow) is my cramps were bad on the first loop but after re-addressing things and guzzling a bunch of fluids (mostly gatorade endurace) through that first lap I was able to run cramp free for the second loop of the race although slowly.  I will definitely have to force more liquid down on the bike.  Even though I took more than I usually do in training, it was still not quite enough apparently.

Looking through my logs, I did have a touch of this on a ~4H-bike ~1H-run brick.  I should have learned! 

Thanks again,

-Mark

2007-08-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: #926320

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
SmallerFasterGuy - 2007-08-15 6:57 AM

Thanks for all the input. 

While my fitness could always be improved, none of the distances were long for me.  It was a VERY HOT which makes me think dehydration especially given I lost 2-3% bodyweight after having re-hydrated a good bit.  The interesting part (for me anyhow) is my cramps were bad on the first loop but after re-addressing things and guzzling a bunch of fluids (mostly gatorade endurace) through that first lap I was able to run cramp free for the second loop of the race although slowly.  I will definitely have to force more liquid down on the bike.  Even though I took more than I usually do in training, it was still not quite enough apparently.

Looking through my logs, I did have a touch of this on a ~4H-bike ~1H-run brick.  I should have learned! 

Thanks again,

-Mark

It's not necessarily that you're not fit enough for the distance, it's that your going harder over that distance than your body is ready for.  The fact that they went away as you slowed down confirms that.  I've experienced the same thing and while dehydration may have played a role for me as well, I do think fitness is the main culprit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Abs cramping! Rss Feed