General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Wisconsin Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-15 3:18 PM

New user

Northeast Wisconsin
Subject: Hello from Wisconsin
Hi everyone, well after dabbling in running for the last few years I think I have just had the Triathlon hook set firmly in my cheek. I completed the Oshkosh Olympic Tri this past weekend and loved it as much as any race I have ever been a part of. I have been thinking about transisition into multi-sport because lets face it at 37 i am no spring chicken and I think my joints will love me for it later. Plus being able to hit the pool or the bike trainer or treadmill or get outside for a crisp run in the cold WI winter gives me lots of options.

My first Tri went well I guess, I was middle of the pack finishing the 3/4 mile swim, 28 mile bike and 6.2 mile run in 2:51 and a little change. I need to get better on the bike and am currently coveting a Tri Bike to replace my road bike. Is there a used gear sort of thing around here? My swim I was happy with and feel like I am on the right track there. My run was not what I had hoped but the Bike left me tired and I was just afraid to really kick it. Now I just want to go faster.

I guess that is it, I will be around.

2007-08-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: #927282

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Hello from Wisconsin

Welcome.  Lots of cheeseheads on the site and depending on where you are there's ample opportunity to hook up and train together if you want.

Classifieds are in the forum section, here...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=8#s

FYI, Wisconsin-only forum is here (under US Group Training and Who's Racing)...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=78#s

I'd strongly encourage you use the exercise logs on this site.  They are the best training logs I've seen out there.  And, there's an "inspire" feature where we can look at your logs and comment, and vice versa.  Keeps you honest when perhaps the WI winter wind sounds a bit cold vs. the pillow in the AM. 

On the tri-bike, you probably know this but for the record...fit is critical...even more so than your road bike.  Each brand is different too...meaning a 55cm Cervelo may fit different than a 55cm Trek.  So, get yourself into some shops and get an idea of your size before buying something on-line, if that's your plan.

Welcome, and BTW great time out at Oshkosh.

2007-08-15 3:33 PM

New user

Northeast Wisconsin
Hey thanks for the advice, I will check it all out in due time. I am really putting some thought into my training and where it will go from here. I will look at the logs.

I am hoping to find a used Tri-Bike to basically save money. I know some guys at the local bike shop so I guess I could get fitted. But you nailed my main concern right on the head when it comes to buying used. That is why I am hoping to find something local that I can take to the local bike shop and see how it fits me.
2007-08-15 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Welcome! I did the Oshkosh Tri too. It is a nice race. It was my 10th tri and you beat me by 8 minutes, so I would say excellent work! I agree with Morey1, the logs are a great tool (that is what brought me to this site) and lots of friendly Wisconsin folks here.
2007-08-16 4:44 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Welcome!

From a displaced Cheesehead.

2007-08-17 10:19 PM

Welcome to BT!  Good luck w/ your training!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Wisconsin Rss Feed