General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Biking Paths recommendations - LA area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-17 9:09 PM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Road Biking Paths recommendations - LA area
Hey,
I just got my new road bike, and I'm obsessed. I went for a 20 mile bike ride along the coast, starting in Torrance, and ending...er...10 miles later, and turning back. It was great, and beautiful, but way too easy. Does anyone have recommendations for hilly areas to bike, that will be more useful for training? If you do, I would super appreciate it if you would include some directions and also where you can park.
Thanks!
Kate

2007-08-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: #930250

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Road Biking Paths recommendations - LA area

Do you live in the South Bay? If so, it's only a matter of time before you discover riding on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I'm guessing that your ride up the coast from Torrance started near the north side of PV. Just go the other way, south (downhill) on the Esplanade, turn left at the bottom of the hill on Paseo de la Playa and go up the steep hill to Palos Verdes Blvd, soon you will come to a 3-way intersection, either way will take you on a route around the entire peninsula for another 22 or so miles. As a first timer I would recommend you go left onto Palos Verdes Drive North, take that to Western Ave and turn right, take that to 25th Street and turn right, then follow 25th which turns into Palos Verdes Drive South, which turns into Palos Verdes Drive West as they take you along the coastal cliffs back to the 3-way intersection. If you think the ride up from Torrance past Manhattan Beach was beautiful (which it is), you will be absolutely stunned by the views along the PV coast. I expect you will even get a good look at Catalina Island. You'll find all kinds of hills, including some nice long climbs and lots of rollers. And you'll see lots of people on bikes, roadies, triathletes, mountain bikers and lots of runners.

You can also do this route in reverse by taking the right fork at the 3-way intersection onto Palos Verdes Drive West.

If you'd like to ride with others, there are 3 young ladies/triathletes (probably about your age from the looks of your picture) in the South Bay area who like to ride in PV, that I sometimes ride with, whom I will be happy to put you in touch with if you would like to email me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Biking Paths recommendations - LA area Rss Feed