General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie in the UK Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-19 4:01 PM

New user

Horsham, UK
Subject: newbie in the UK
hi all, my names Mark & I'm a trainee triathlete ... almost sounds like the intro to an AA meeting.. lol

just thought I'd drop you all a line to say that I've got my first event coming up at the end of September.

400m swim, 25km ride & 3km run...

I could have done one with a shorter bike distance for my 1st attempt, but this is local to me & I figured... hey, why not...

For the last 4 to 5 weeks, the training has been good & solid, however the last few days have been like hell. I just don't have any motivation to train at all. how do you guys get through the low patches?

2007-08-20 3:41 AM
in reply to: #931056

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: newbie in the UK

Hi, Mark--welcome to BT, to the wild world of triathlon, and super good luck on your first! Congrats on the training you've put in.

Low patches are normal and to be expected. There have been some very good threads on this ("Search Forums" for words like motivation, discouraged, etc.)

I tell myself just to begin the planned workout (sometimes, for running for example, just to put my shoes on and go out the door) ... pretty much if I start it, I'll do it. Other times it's bad enough I have to tell myself OK, just five minutes (or 1 mile or whatever). Small increments.

It also helps me to read motivational stories about challenged triathletes or triathletes who overcame great challenges.

2007-08-20 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

Hi Mark.

Welcome to BT! There are a few of us UK folks on here. Whereabouts are you based? I did my first Tri in May and I've got my second one coming up next Monday. I sooooooo enjoyed the 1st one and it made all the training well worth it. Just think of that when you don't fancy it. It might also have something to do with that great 'summer' we've had this year   Not exactly inspiring for the training is it....

Good luck with it. 

2007-08-20 6:43 PM

User image

Regular
I usually feel this way when I'm tired or overtraining.  My solution is to take the next couple days (weekend is best) and bum it.  I sleep as much as I want, sit around and watch movies, read a book, drink chocolate milk and order pizza.  After about a day and a half I usually feel recharged and also like a lazy slob which motivates me to go run or something.  Works for me, but there's also the inherent risk that you might enjoy this "therapy" so much you turn into Jaba the Hut with your couch as a throne and are never seen again.  To be used at your own risk. Laughing
2007-08-21 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

mpk - 2007-08-19 4:01 PM hi all, my names Mark & I'm a trainee triathlete ... almost sounds like the intro to an AA meeting.. lol just thought I'd drop you all a line to say that I've got my first event coming up at the end of September. 400m swim, 25km ride & 3km run... I could have done one with a shorter bike distance for my 1st attempt, but this is local to me & I figured... hey, why not... For the last 4 to 5 weeks, the training has been good & solid, however the last few days have been like hell. I just don't have any motivation to train at all. how do you guys get through the low patches?

Hiya,

First, welcome to the addiction.  You have no idea how close you are in that statement about AA.  Except here, the inmates run the asylum. 

Secondly, you don't mention how often you are training.  If it is every single day, then you need to give yourself a break.  At least one day a week where you do nothing.  That's right, sit on your bum, watch a good footy match on telly, eat a nice sarny and pint and relax.  Treat it as a reward for 6 days worth of training.  You will find a day off will do wonders for your recovery and mental attitude. 

Third, and most important, remember this is about having fun as well as getting in shape.  If you are already burning yourself out, take a second look at your training regime and maybe cut it down just a tad.

Have fun mate, and again, welcome.

2007-08-21 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hey Mark! Welcome. What part of the UK are you from!?   I was like you, unmotivated but once I got out and forced myself I started to meet new people and I started training with them it became easier.  Now I really look forward to a good workout and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

Can't wait to hear how your 1st tri goes. Good luck! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie in the UK Rss Feed