United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a 1/2 bagel, drove to the site. Hung out, got my numbers, I like to get there early and relax. I saw my friend Jen, who was rushing and in a tizzy, and I hate to get like that.
Event warmup:

Breathe deep, watch my HR monitor climb to 155 as my heat came up to swim. Was glad for the HR monitor - in my last race, I was tense and could not see my monitor to tell how fast my HR was, so I had myself drowned from a heart attack in that race.
Swim
  • 14m 18s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very apprehensive going into this water. It was over twice the length of my last swim, in which I got nervous. I had no HR monitor my last race, and no wetsuit, so I spend the time worrying that I was going to have a heart attack, and getting more and more nervous. I had to backstroke a few times last race, and my goal was to remain calm, and freestyle the whole way.

I did great!! I was so happy with this swim. I started nice and easy and on the left, I felt great, nice and calm, I moved toward the middle, lots of people on the water around me, but we watched out for each other. When I hit the far buoy to turn and come back, I was shocked! I thought it was just the first buoy, I felt so great!! (I do think the swim was short, though.) Once I knew I was half there, I picked up the pace, passed a number of swimmers. I was so totally relaxed, I realize I was not speedy (no times yet) but my goal was to do in a race what I do in the lake three times a week - swim and love it!! And I did. I swam until fingers in the sand (many people walked the last 150 feet, but I swam all the way in) and I had a huge grin - I was so happy!!
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. It was a great experience.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

My transition was a little slow, no times yet. I had to sit down to get my wetsuit off, no dizziness this race, though. I was so relieved the swim went well - just dried my feet, put on my socks, sneakers, and shirt, grabbed my helmet, and went. No big problems, except for the stuck wetsuit.

More Glide on my lower legs, more practice taking the suit off.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 28s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Drank every 5 minutes or so - it was getting warmer, and I followed instructions, and the drinking helped me,

Not much
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Quick transition - racked bike and helmet, and took off.
Run
  • 37m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Not enough water - some yucky yellow gatorade, the cadet told me it was water, I threw it on my face. YUCK!!!! Tough run. Tough race. Lots of fun. After I came in, I started to cry again, I was thinking that this was the toughest thing I had ever done, physically and mentally. I was so relieved to be finished.

I need more time running - period. Nothing substitutes for running. And I need to lose those 25 pounds still, so running doesn't injure me.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fat. Being a beginner. Lots of things, many of which I will work on. :)

Event comments:

Good race - very well run, except for the water situation. I will do it next year, God willing!

Last updated: 2007-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:18 | 875 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Swim out to the buoy, left, and back in. The water was gorgeous - I was really worried about this swim, wanted to freestyle the whole thing, not have any anxiety and have to backstroke or sidestroke. My HR was in the 150s and then as I went on, lowered to the 140s, but I never felt stressed or tired.Ye
Suit: Yes - sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:28 | 15.53 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Performance: Good
HR was high the whole bike. On the hills it was about 185 to 188, and on the flats it was in the 160s. Downhills it went into the 140s. I am not sure why so high. Bike out, go up some hills, then a freaking bastard of a hill, I was gasping for air, HR about 188 at the end. Turn around, downhill for a nice couple of miles, I actually did NOT hit the brake, hardly at all. I kept saying, "Don't hit the brake, don't hit the brake," and I was going pretty fast. I began to grin, and enjoy the speed for the first time in my life!! It was fun!! Of course, it was safe, with the cadets out there making sure every car knew we were there, and I knew if anything happened, I would have immediate attention. Easier to be brave in these circumstances. Past the entrance and down another 1 mile hill. Saw the people coming back up it, and I dreaded it, but I had remembered what Barbara had said and my friend CarolAnn, about being patient on the hills. I was in about 3rd gear, and I just patient, patient, rpms about 60 like Barbara makes me practice, patiently got up the hill. I passed about 5 people and came up on about 5 other women. Then to the entrance, back in, I was cranking on the bike, didn't let up. On the flats and easy uphills, plus the slight downhills, I was pushing on the bike. I felt like a real biker for a few minutes. Now granted, the only people I passed had mountain bikes like I had in my last race, but still - it was an improvement for ME! Barbara told me that she didn't want to tell me how tough the bike course was because she knew I would obsess. She was right. It had 7 substantial hills, two one-mile hills, lots of rollers. It was a tough course, so I am not disappointed in how I did on it. I love my new Dolce!!!
Wind: None
Course: Above
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:44 | 03.11 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Ah, the run. My HR was in the 170s, even when I had to walk, this run was terrible. Uphill right out of the transition area, which I do in training, but I just couldn't get my legs to stop hurting. I ran without walking the first 10 minutes, as I kept expecting my legs to feel better like they do in training, but they still ached. Walked for one minute. Then my legs felt better. Back uphill. What sadist made this course, I was wondering. At the 2 mile mark, it felt like 3 miles. Then, on the path in, all the speedy big shots were leaving, and they were all across the road. I admit, I had a little freak out, and I was yelling at them, "We are still racing, get out of the way," and I called a guy a jerk. HR - 190 during the fracas. They looked at me like I was nuts, but tough - how inconsiderate some racers can be. They are finished, so screw the guys in the back.
Course: Tough - more uphills than down, the old guy I rode near on the bike (76 years old) tumbled, and was lying on the side all bloody, I tried to stop to help him, but he got up, a cadet went to help, and he waved her off and kept going. That tough old guy passed me, and laughed at me, telling me he had to beat me, young whippersnapper that I was. I loved him. What an inspiration!!! When I finished, he had already finished, and he was on the side of the path, with medics working on him. He was NOT going to give up. What a fighter!!! Best thing I saw all day. I was honored to be beaten by him.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: West Point Triathlon

2007-08-19 5:10 PM
in reply to: #931057

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: West Point Triathlon
I am so glad to hear that the swim and race went well for you and that you want to do it again!  I hear you on the running...I am right there w/you needing more time spent on running-but we have all fall/winter to work on it!
2007-08-20 6:03 AM
in reply to: #931132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi,
Yes, it was pretty good! I am really glad I did it. I was just thinking about what to work on for the winter, and I think building up a running base is going to be important. I had plantar fasciitis and couldn't run much until I finally had a cortisone shot a few weeks ago.

Nancy
2007-08-20 7:33 AM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Great job!  Truly, you're an inspiration.
2007-08-20 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Great job!

Everyone looked great out there. I was afraid the weather was going to be too cold for the swim, but it was just gorgeous out there. Heck, it even stayed pretty cool for the run leg.

I did notice they gave you guys a healthy dose of hills on the run portion and a whole lot of looping around.

---

I was there as a Volunteer (in the green shirts) at the race.

In fact, we may have even met as I was in the registration area handing out registration packets and tearing off the bib-tab for the raffle.
2007-08-20 6:49 PM
in reply to: #932128

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for volunteering - they were all great!! The race was unbelievably smoothly run, and the people were fabulous!! I really enjoyed it - even when it got warmer for the run - although it was not too warm.

Look forward to seeing you on the starting line with me next year!!
Nancy

2007-08-20 6:50 PM
in reply to: #931654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, Earl!! What are you doing next??
2007-08-20 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job. Glad you enjoyed yourself out there.
2007-08-20 10:10 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Great Job!

Now, don't you wonder what you were so freaked out about??? You did AWESOME! Kiss

Did anyone take pictures for you??!?!  

2007-08-21 10:06 AM
in reply to: #933555

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am waiting for pics from the photographers at the site. I will post one!

I don't know what I was so worried about - I had freaked a little in the water my first tri, so I was very worried I would freak again. Before the swim, I just kept saying, "Pretend it is just a 24 minute workout, nice and easy," and it seemed to work. I felt great!!

Thanks for all of your help - you are great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Triathlon Rss Feed