Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any fly-fishers out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-14 3:16 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: Any fly-fishers out there?
I want to buy my boyfriend a fly-fishing set-up for his birthday, but I know zip about it. Can anyone help me out with what to get? Recommendations? Links? Is a flyfishing rod something that is really specific to the person? ie, should I just get him a gift certificate or buy the rod for him?

2004-10-14 4:12 PM
in reply to: #72439

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Any fly-fishers out there?
Depends on what you want to spend and how serious he is... Is he just getting started? I'm assuming from your location that it's going to be freshwater lakes, rivers, streams, etc? If you thought this sport can ding your wallet with incidentals...

Rod
Reel
Extra spools
rod case
Tippets/leaders
Flies
fly holders/boxes
Vest
olive green boonie hat - something with a wide brim - see first aid kit below
Polarized fishing glasses
first aid kit (with lots of bactine and long forceps) to remove flies from back of head and ears - he can leave this at home after the first month or so
field tools
box of cigars
fly tying kit - my wife wonders why I like to tie my own flies (hint: it's the glue)
fishing license if required by colorado
waders

• Anything with G. Loomis on it is going to be steep, but top shelf. On the other hand, if he's just starting out, a Berkely 8 foot carbon rod might be plenty

-Frank
    2004-10-14 4:23 PM
    in reply to: #72460

User image

Pro
    Helena, MT

Well, I'm just going with basics. I found an online buying guide from bigskyfishing.com. Most (read: all) of the rivers in CO are pretty small, but we might be moving to Montana or another place with bigger rivers next year. So I was thinking something versatile but on the small fishie side of things. Actually, I was looking at this: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=9561&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=5825&subcat_id=7015&shop_id= and with the reel and all included. Whaddya think? Am I a great girlfriend or what? (Actually, I just really like to eat fish and getting them for free sounds good to me!) Do you think the length, action and weight are appropriate?

He did a lot of fly-fishing with his dad (in PA) when he was a kid, but he no longer has any of the gear (so he probably hasn't fished regularly in years).

Oh, and the specific question, when I put the rod in my basket, it asks whether I want a right or left handed wind. What the hell is that? He's right-handed so is it safe to assume that's the way to go?

Thanks!!!!

2004-10-14 4:25 PM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2004-10-14 4:39 PM
    in reply to: #72465

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2004-10-14 4:41 PM

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I think that rod/line setup might be a tad on the small side. The WF4F stands for Weight-Forward 4 Floating (I'll explain in a sec...) The backing is the line that wrapped around the reel first. Then, the "Flyline" is tied to that and then the tippet or leader is tied to the flyline and then the fly is tied to the tippet/leader... There a a few different types/designs of flyline. Weight-Forward is always a nice choice for a beginner or someone who hasn't done it in a while. Most of the mass of the line is at the "end" and it makes it a little easier to cast - plus because you cast the line, not the lure or bait, in flyfishing, if you are using tiny flies, it makes them easier to cast. The floating means just that. The flyline floats, they make sinking ones too. Depends on what you flies you are using (floating bugs or sinking nymphs). The number 4 is the "tensile strength" of the line. 4 is OK for panfish, but 6 would be better for trout and smallmouth bass (now THAT is a fun catch on a flyrod). If you are moving to big sky (and big water) country, 4 is WAY TOO small... Orvis is another great brand that has been around for a while. The 8 to 8.5 foot rod is a nice utilitarian size too. If the rivers aren't that big, it's a nice comfy size (keeps you out of the trees - not that a good technique doesn't help with that either). In short... I would just get him a gift certificate and let him pick something. I know it's always cooler to have something for them to unwrap, but if he's already fly fished, he may have in mind what type of setup he would like. Besides, if he learned how to fly fish in P'Tucky, he'll already know everything and there isn't anything that anyone can teach him. Oh, and on the right/left handed thing - it's which side of the reel, the winder knob is on. I couldn't tell you which is which though. I cast right handed, so the winder knob on my reels are on the left side...

Actually, to be really cool, go to a local fishing shop and buy a small box of flies that are appropriate for your area. Put the gift certificate in that And yes, especially when he plays ultimate frisbee with his friends instead of taking you to see changing leaves, you are an awesome girlfriend!

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-10-14 4:44 PM

2004-10-14 4:53 PM
    in reply to: #72472

Pro
    Helena, MT

Ok, I'll defer to yous guys. I really did want to walk in one evening in lingerie holding a fly-fishing pole, but if it's the wrong pole, what's the point? The box o' flies and gift certificate is good. What do you think? Should I get one from the Orvis site for say, $200?

Oh, and the whole leaves/Ultimate battle ended up being moot. The practice was cancelled because too many people on the team (but not my Eric, nooo) gave excuses for not wanting to come. Things like, um, they wanted to go see the leaves change with their lovely girlfriends. ;-)  Well, anyhoo, we saw the leaves and the freshly fallen snow in the High Country and had a blast. And his team dominated at Regionals the following weekend and now they're headed to Nationals.

2004-10-14 4:59 PM

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    $200 should get him a really nice set and Orvis is a very nice brand - I say go for it! That is of course as long as he doesn't have I hate Orvis stickers all over the place

Glad to see the leaves thing worked out! See, those are the things that guys should remember covertly, in order to bring up later Maybe I should start a weekly "How to be smooth operator" thread... Nah, better not - it might be too much power to wield in the hands of innocents Congrats to his team for making it to nationals!

-Frank
    2004-10-14 5:04 PM
    in reply to: #72481

Pro
    Helena, MT

Yep, you'll just make them dangerous....

Of course, he couldn't actually bring anything up later, because the team cancelled it and he never said, well, there's something I'd much rather do. In fact, after it was cancelled, he apparently said something like "Oh good, because my girlfriend wanted to go look at the leaves change." Then there was apparently a long discussion about how whipped I have him and how I push him around. Ummmm, yeah. He doesn't want to open that can of worms. ;-)

2004-10-15 9:14 AM

Pro
    Andover
    ORVIS has GREAT stuff and about the best warrantee going!

I would highly recommend going to your local ORVIS store and chatting with the Fly Fishing Expert in that store. These folks REALLY know their stuff and will hook you up with the right outfit.

Good luck,
    Rob
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any fly-fishers out there? Rss Feed