General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman - question on attire Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-20 9:18 AM

Subject: Ironman - question on attire
I'm doing my first IM in 3 weeks and was curious about what to wear.
I suspect most people just go with trishorts or unitard, but i'm wondering if bonified cycle shorts (read: more padding for my sensitive areas) are more appropriate given the length of the cycling leg. As I've always worn them on my long training rides, I don't know how great a 5 hour ride would feel in tri shorts. Also, I imagine cycling shorts feel pretty bulky stuffed in a wetsuit as well.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

2007-08-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: #931877

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman - question on attire

My plan for IMFL this Nov is to swim with trishorts and wetsuit.  In T1 to put on the most comfy pair of cycling shorts I have along with a cool jersey.  At T2, back to some type of tri short (prevent chaffing) with a pair of running shorts over top, and some sort of tri top.  I'm just racing to finish and don't have a specific time goal in mind, so comfort is my #1 priority.

I'm staying away from the one pieces due to the fact that I plan on stopping on the bike at some point or points to take a leak.  I can't for the life of me relax enough to let it rip while riding and the one pieces tend to "smash" things.

The only unknown question I have and I hope its not a hijack...can you swim in a wetsuit with just trishorts (ie topless).  I think all IM's require a top of some sort, so would it be against the rules to be topless after you get your wetsuit stripped until you suit up for the ride? 

2007-08-20 10:08 AM

User image

Champion

Welcome Karl.  I'm guessing you're going to be doing IMWI. 

I've been doing all of my training in DeSoto tri shorts, so I have acclimated to the thinner fleece padding of the tri shorts.

I would recommend that, if you have trained with bike shorts, go with bike shorts on race day.  If it is IMWI, you will have a place to change into bike shorts after the swim.  With that in mind, you might want to wear jammers during the swim and put on bike shorts in T1.  You don't want to be sitting on a wet bike pad for several hours.  Think Chafing. 

Good luck on your race.

2007-08-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: #932031

Thanks, I am indeed doing IMWI.
Where would one change then, and would there be extensive lines/delays in trying to do so? I'm reasonably familiar with the area. It seems like it would be a logistical nightmare. I could just change underneath a towel, but there's always the risk of my goods flying out in public --- which nobody wants.

Excellent point about the wet shorts (although I usually sweat through in an hour or two anyhow).

Also, for the previous response --- no shirt is ever necessary for the swim. As per official rules, only covered torso/feet on bike and run, not swim. Lots of people (including myself) go topless under wetsuit, then throw on a tri top/cycling top in transition.

2007-08-20 10:57 AM
in reply to: #932080

User image

Champion

If I understand the layout correctly, there is an area of the conference center that is designated as the male change tent (with a separate one for the female change tent) with the intent being that you are allowed to completely strip down and change in that location.

From what I've heard, it can get crowded in there during T1 but you shouldn't have to wait in any sort of line to change.

2007-08-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: #932031

User image

over a barrier
"I've been doing all of my training in DeSoto tri shorts, so I have acclimated to the thinner fleece padding of the tri shorts."

I did all my rides in these shorts up to 10hrs. I never put on cycling shorts this year. I plan on racing in my top and shorts under my wetsuit. No costume changes for me....

2007-08-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: #932080

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

Changing clothes in T1 and T2 is no problem.  Many people do it.  At IMWI, after the swim everyone goes into the Monona Terrace and through a ball room with all the T1 bags lined up by number.  You grab your bag and then run into an adjacent ball room (one for men, one for women) where there is plenty of room to change clothes.  T2 works exactly the same way.  Other IMs also work the same way, except most use big tents rather than a building.

Go with whatever you are comfortable with...and what you are used to from training.  As for me, I've been doing all my long rides in just tri shorts, and just use tri shorts during the race.  If you want to change into bike shorts for the bike, and then into running shorts for the run, you'll find many others doing the same thing in transition.

-Steve 

2007-08-20 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA

I am planning on wearing my tri shorts and top through out.

I was first planning on changing to running shorts in t2,  but I sweat so much that my shorts drip on sneakers and get them wet so I trained with Tri shorts.  They seem to solve the problem of sweating but I chaffed in other areas I don't normally chaffe in.  Thank god for body glide.

Clothes are to be experimented during your long workouts to see how they might work with you in the ironman, it took be about 4 workouts to decide.

2007-08-21 10:31 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I'm going with jammers in the swim, tri shorts (with chamois cream) on the bike, and running short for the run. Top for the bike/run will vary depending on the temp. This is the setup I've trained with so will be racing with the same.
2007-08-21 9:59 PM

User image

I've run two and had tri shorts on in each. I may have gotten a bit saddle sore, but I think it was the last thing on my mind. But if you've trained in bike shorts, it really won't take long to switch in the changing tent. If you get out of the swim on the early or late side, someone will be in the tent helping you change (if you want it--They bring you your gear bag, hand you what you need, put sunscreen on you, bandage you from when you were kicked in the head on the swim, etc.) If you come out of the water with the pack, you're probably on your own, but it's pretty easy to switch shorts. Good luck!!
2007-08-23 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
Speedos?

2007-08-24 8:30 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Has anyone worn Speedo's under the wetsuit, then under the bike shorts too?
2007-08-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: #938783

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

No, but that seems like a bad idea.  Sounds like an invitation for some bad chaffing, for no good reason.  Why not take advantage of the changing room/tent, loose the Speedo and just wear the bike shorts?

-Steve

2007-08-24 9:06 AM

Champion
South Jersey

bigKarl - 2007-08-20 10:18 AM I'm doing my first IM in 3 weeks and was curious about what to wear. I suspect most people just go with trishorts or unitard, but i'm wondering if bonified cycle shorts (read: more padding for my sensitive areas) are more appropriate given the length of the cycling leg. As I've always worn them on my long training rides, I don't know how great a 5 hour ride would feel in tri shorts. Also, I imagine cycling shorts feel pretty bulky stuffed in a wetsuit as well. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

My guess is that if you're planning on a 5-hr IM ride, your booty is more than capable of surviving with just the tri shorts. You've obviously put in a lot of time in the saddle.

2007-08-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: #938836

True, my TSI (taint sensitivity index) is quite low at this point. I'm sure I could handle the tri shorts, it's just a matter of why would I.
My philosophy is that for a short race, wear tri shorts, go for speed/time.
For a long race (IM), I figure that I'll be cranking it out all day, is the several minutes taken to change really going to derail my performance? Probably not.

that said, I just decided to go with option b - change into a padded diaper for the ride. i might as well roll in comfort.
2007-08-24 1:46 PM
in reply to: #939351

Champion
South Jersey
When I do my IM, I plan on wearing my tri suit for the whole thing (of course a lot can change between now and July 20, 2008). My thing is that the few extra minutes needed to change will not make a big difference in my finishing time (it's not like I'm looking to Kona qualify or anything), but why bother with it if I don't have to do it? I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. I will have running shorts in my T2 bag should I feel the need to change shorts at that point for any reason, but they'll just be there as a back up and not part of the plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman - question on attire Rss Feed