General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMKY- Bike course and run course... info Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-21 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: IMKY- Bike course and run course... info
I'm not racing IMKY this year, but hope to in 2008. I found these details from someone who scoped out the bike and run course recently. It's from this blog: http://140point6miles.blogspot.com/

Really great stuff for anyone who is racing!

Bike shops: Only saw one downtown: The Bike Courier. If you need your fixie chain tightened, or a new messenger bag or radio, this is your place. Do not, under any circumstances, let them build your tri bike. I don't know of other shops.

The River: The river is very warm. There are online rumblings about if this will be a wetsuit swim-- my fingertip thermometer says there is no way we will be under 74 degrees or whatever, but there is no official info. Personally, I'm going to be doing some open water swims without mine. The current looks very mild, and they say they'll use locks to pretty much shut it down on race day. We'll see. I'm totally freaked about the current, frankly.

The Bike Course: I should mention that we had some serious and un-fixable mechanical issues. The lock ring on my cassette came loose, which, of course, needs the special lock-ring tool. There are no bike shops or anything that would resemble retail bike support on the route, so we had to stop a lot as it kept coming loose. Lauren got a flat. All these stops probably affected my outlook on the course. Also, if you're going down to ride the course yourself, it is basically on county highways so there is a scary amount of traffic.

Overall, I really enjoyed the course. It is quite hilly, with just under 7000 feet of total elevation gain on the whole thing. Grades tended to be in the 4-6% range-- like a highway onramp or a good bridge. The hills are rarely steep or long, but it's not a rhythm course. I found that I could stay in a good groove by staying focused on cadence and HR through the rollers and shifting a lot. I stood up for a couple of hills, but mostly because my butt was sore, not because I had to crank. The long descents are not broken by turns or stops, which means you can really let 'er rip (there is one notable exception-- the turn from Ballard Rd. to Old Sligo Rd.). There is a ton of time waiting to be made up on the downhills of this course.

The official profile looks smoother than the course really is-- you're pretty much always going a little up or down, but overall it's not as bad as I thought. The last 30 miles appears downhill, but it's so full of rollers that it was hard to tell, unfortunately. There is one huge descent back to the river, and then it's totally flat (and shady!!) for the last 10 or so-- that will be nice. Road surfaces were good to excellent, with some chip-seal that will be sticky as it heats up.

The heat, humidity, and sun are relentless and took a lot out of me. It was 90 when we rode, and will probably be a touch warmer for the race. Much of the course is shady, but the long stretch back southwest down rte. 42 is totally unshaded and it's going to be tough for a while. Once I got caught up on hydration, I felt much better. I used every gear in my 11-23 cassette, and will probably go to a 12-25 for the race. Hot, sultry, steamy, hot, wet, humid, oven, very hot-- these are words I would use to describe our ride.

The Run Course: The run is basically a two-loop out and back. It's just about pancake flat, with one underpass and a slight hill at the turnaround, which actually felt pretty good after so much flat. The course is really nice-- lots of trees and shade, big old houses, nice people that weren't yet tired of the stream of ironman practicers flowing by their houses. The turnaround near the finish will be tough for me, since you basically run down the finishing chute before peeling off to the right for another 12 miles. I dunno, maybe it will be motivating. The finish area is really cool-- Louisville has covered an entire city block with a glass roof, and there are tons of bars and restaurants right there-- lots of great spectating and some serious speakers for booming out our names as we finish. The Galt House and Marriott are both within a block of the finish.

Whew! that was a lot longer than I meant it to be. Oh well, I hope you got some good info. Overall, the most important factor in this race is almost certain to be the heat, I think.

2007-08-21 4:22 PM
in reply to: #934405

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: IMKY- Bike course and run course... info

Thanks for posting that Karen.  Good read.

~Mike

2007-08-21 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

A few things that you guys need to know about the bike course. I live in Louisville and train on various parts of the course weekly. There are two areas on the course that I'd HOPED were going to be repaved but unfortunately, looks like we're going to be let down a bit. That said, YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL on two of the bridges. I've seen several folks flat and/or have stuff come flying off your bike. (On race day, if something bounces off the bike in front of you, you could be in trouble)

1st bridge: This one is on RIVER ROAD approximately 8-9 miles from transition. We'll be crossing a one-lane bridge. The road condition here is what I'd categorize as pretty horrible. It's rideable, but lots of patchwork and small potholes. You'll be going somewhere between 18-24 mph when you hit this. The best route is to stay in the middle and zig zag through the bridge to miss the bad ones. This is the area you risk stuff bouncing off your bike.

2nd bridge: This one is on 1694. We'll make the right off 42 onto 1694. The first mile or so is pretty flat then you'll hit a one-mile descent. VERY FUN and VERY FAST.... lots of good scenery her too. When you get to the bottom, you will cross a bridge... at that bridge, there are several potholes there. It's incredibly rough!!! And of all the areas on the course, this is where you run the greatest risk of getting a flat. My recommendation is to come towards the center line at the bottom of the hill (If you can w/o having a head-on collision). If you can't get to the middle, SLOW down and be very careful here. A flat in this spot would be rough.

You'll obviously see this when you drive the course this weekend, but keep these in mind when you do and plan out your route. You'll be grateful that you did!

On a positive note, they have just repaved a good majority of Hwy 42. So it's very smooth and very fast.

Looking forward to seeing everyone here!
2007-08-21 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
One thing I forgot to mention is that when you hit the 2nd bridge, most people are at speeds in 30-40mph range.
2007-08-21 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country

As far as bike shops go, here is a list of ones relatively close in case you need to run out and grab something last minute:

Bardstown Road Bicycles
1051 Bardstown Rd
Louisville, KY 40204
(502) 485-9795

Cycler's Cafe Inc
2295 Lexington Rd
Louisville, KY 40206
(502) 451-5152

Clarksville Schwinn & Fitness
111 W Lewis and Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
(812) 948-2453

Bicycle Sport Inc
132 Breckenridge LN
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 897-2611

Edited by grit_nugget 2007-08-21 10:49 PM
2007-08-22 5:33 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Good stuff guys!  Thanks.

~Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMKY- Bike course and run course... info Rss Feed