General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper for run event, tri A race two weeks out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-21 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Taper for run event, tri A race two weeks out
I'm tapering for a 10 mile race this Saturday however my triathlon A race is 9/8, a little more than two weeks out.

My question is, should I avoid riding this week and to a lesser extent swimming as I'm preparing for the run on Saturday?

My plan is to run two miles nice and easy tomorrow and then I'm done. I did eight miles on Sunday at Z1 pace so I think my taper is ok.

I'm just not sure what I should/could do for my tri training when I'm tapering for a run race.

2007-08-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: #934709

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Taper for run event, tri A race two weeks out
You mentioned the Triathlon is your 'A' Tri, is it your A race overall or just for Tri.  I would say train for your overal 'A' race and if that is your tri then keep you training status quo for the Tri and ride/swim what you need to, I would not even really mess much with your running and take it easy in the race.  It basically comes down to what is more important to you.
2007-08-21 4:21 PM
in reply to: #934763

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
kproudfoot - 2007-08-21 3:45 PM

You mentioned the Triathlon is your 'A' Tri, is it your A race overall or just for Tri.  I would say train for your overal 'A' race and if that is your tri then keep you training status quo for the Tri and ride/swim what you need to, I would not even really mess much with your running and take it easy in the race.  It basically comes down to what is more important to you.

The triathlon is my A race but I'm only doing two so I probably overstated it's importance. However I've put a ton of work into this one so I'm giving it all I have.

The 10-mile race is really just a test of my running to see if I want to do a 25k next Spring here in my home town.

I should have basically said that the 10 mile run is more of a test than anything else, I'm really focused on tri but don't want to hurt myself for the run nor let my training slack off too much.

I probably shouldn't have schedule the 10-miler but it's a big race in Michigan.
2007-08-21 8:17 PM
in reply to: #934709

User image

Master
If you can do a ten mile race this fall, you can definitely do the Riverbank Run next May. The Gazelle running stores have a great training group you can join (I don't work for them but joined a group in Holland two years ago). I hadn't run for more than 5 miles in the previous 20 years, and they take you from 5 miles in the first run all the way up to race day. They had us meet twice a week, a hill run on Thursday and a long run on Saturday. They ramped us up slowly and took us on a variety of courses, including the race course. The social and competetive aspects of running with a group made it MUCH easier.

Stick with your Tri training. Do the best you can do in the 10 miles, and do your first Riverbank run next year.
2007-08-22 8:41 AM
in reply to: #935138

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
monkeyboy64 - 2007-08-21 8:17 PM

If you can do a ten mile race this fall, you can definitely do the Riverbank Run next May. The Gazelle running stores have a great training group you can join (I don't work for them but joined a group in Holland two years ago). I hadn't run for more than 5 miles in the previous 20 years, and they take you from 5 miles in the first run all the way up to race day. They had us meet twice a week, a hill run on Thursday and a long run on Saturday. They ramped us up slowly and took us on a variety of courses, including the race course. The social and competetive aspects of running with a group made it MUCH easier.

Stick with your Tri training. Do the best you can do in the 10 miles, and do your first Riverbank run next year.

I buy all my running shoes and accessories from Gazelle's because they are so knowledgeable and support the local running scene so well.

I've thought of checking out their running club too but just haven't yet. The Crim is my race on Saturday and I'm not going into it for a PR or anything. My plan is to run in Z2 for the first five miles then air thing out a bit and I really think I should be under 1.5 hours.

Thanks for the motivation for the 5/3 25k too! I'm quite certain I can do the 25k, my "test" doing the Crim on Saturday is to see how much I enjoy the longer runs. That's why I love triathlon so much, you have three disciplines to work at, not just how long and far can you run.
2007-08-22 12:07 PM
in reply to: #935505

User image

Master
TriMike - 2007-08-22 9:41 AM

I'm quite certain I can do the 25k, my "test" doing the Crim on Saturday is to see how much I enjoy the longer runs. That's why I love triathlon so much, you have three disciplines to work at, not just how long and far can you run.

Yeah, three is more fun than a long one. When I ran the Riverbank two years ago, it was pure pain and suffering, probably because I always started too fast and pushed too hard on every run. I injured my foot and swore I'd never do it again.

This winter I started with the HRM and have actually been enjoying my long slow runs. Your zone plan for the Crim sounds smart. Have a great race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper for run event, tri A race two weeks out Rss Feed