2007-08-23 1:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-08-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #937881

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Lohan charged with 7 misdemeanors

This is what p*sses me off about the whole MV thing.  You have repeat DUI offenders on the roads who are a much GREATER risk to society than MV and there is little to no public outcry. 

2007-08-23 1:40 PM
in reply to: #937900

2007-08-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: #937900

Crystal Lake, IL
ADollar79 - 2007-08-23 1:36 PM

This is what p*sses me off about the whole MV thing.  You have repeat DUI offenders on the roads who are a much GREATER risk to society than MV and there is little to no public outcry. 

I get the spirit of what you are saying, but an argument could be made that you are comparing apples to oranges.

When you talk about Lohan you're talking about someone who MIGHT have hurt someone.  If she had, obviously this would be a different discussion.  She got lucky.  In Vick's case you're talking about what he DID. 

If you want to talk about DUI offenders in general who kill lots of people every year then you have a different comparison.  Yes, the media blitz on the Vick case is enormous but we all know that as soon as his sentence is handed down and he begins serving it, this is over.  We will move our attention on.  There are many organizations dedicating to strengthening laws and raising awareness regarding driving under the influence.  People who work year after year on this cause in schools all around the country.  I highly doubt that a comparable number of people will get involved in any organizations specific to campaigning against dogfighting.

2007-08-23 1:55 PM
in reply to: #937930

Champion
Nashville, TN
hangloose - 2007-08-23 2:48 PM
ADollar79 - 2007-08-23 1:36 PM

I get the spirit of what you are saying, but an argument could be made that you are comparing apples to oranges.

When you talk about Lohan you're talking about someone who MIGHT have hurt someone.  If she had, obviously this would be a different discussion.  She got lucky.  In Vick's case you're talking about what he DID. 

If you want to talk about DUI offenders in general who kill lots of people every year then you have a different comparison.  Yes, the media blitz on the Vick case is enormous but we all know that as soon as his sentence is handed down and he begins serving it, this is over.  We will move our attention on.  There are many organizations dedicating to strengthening laws and raising awareness regarding driving under the influence.  People who work year after year on this cause in schools all around the country.  I highly doubt that a comparable number of people will get involved in any organizations specific to campaigning against dogfighting.

So you really think there would be an equal public outcry if she actually hit someone?  I HIGHLY doubt that.  And I am not talking about her specifically.  It is repeat offenders in general. 

My point is that there has been a HUGE media/public frenzy over the whole dogfighting issue.  I only wish there was equal outcry and movement over what I consider more important societal issues such as DUI.  Dogfighting will now be on the agenda of nearly every state legislature the next session.  The laws will be toughened.  Imagine if we could get that type of political response out of other situations. 

2007-08-23 2:03 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

Maybe I'm not making my point clear.  Differentiate between the flash in the pan knee jerk reaction that is sensationalized through the media (not blaming them, they are the conduit) and the dedicated efforts of all those people who work for M.A.D.D. and other groups to try to prevent driving under the influence.  Just because that issue doesn't have the sexy headline news appeal doesn't mean that the public outcry is less than it is on the Vick case.  I think it is more pervasive and longer lasting.  There are going to be more demonstrations and more public speeches (at schools, etc.) about DUI than about dogfighting in the next year, 5 years, 10 years and so on. 

2007-08-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: #937942

Crystal Lake, IL
ADollar79 - 2007-08-23 1:55 PM

So you really think there would be an equal public outcry if she actually hit someone?  I HIGHLY doubt that.  And I am not talking about her specifically.  It is repeat offenders in general. 

That's not the point.  I was so tired the other day driving home from work that had some odd circumstance existed I might have hit someone and hurt or killed them.  I was driving impaired.  I didn't hit anything/one.  That doesn't make it right, doesn't let me off the hook personally for my disappointment in my own decision making but it DOES mean there is no public outcry about it.  Speculating about IF there would be equal public outcry IF someone had done something seems like, um, speculation.

2007-08-23 2:09 PM

2007-08-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #937954

Champion
Nashville, TN
hangloose - 2007-08-23 3:03 PM

Maybe I'm not making my point clear.  Differentiate between the flash in the pan knee jerk reaction that is sensationalized through the media (not blaming them, they are the conduit) and the dedicated efforts of all those people who work for M.A.D.D. and other groups to try to prevent driving under the influence.  Just because that issue doesn't have the sexy headline news appeal doesn't mean that the public outcry is less than it is on the Vick case.  I think it is more pervasive and longer lasting.  There are going to be more demonstrations and more public speeches (at schools, etc.) about DUI than about dogfighting in the next year, 5 years, 10 years and so on. 

I agree that an issue like DUI is a bit more pervasive (though PETA is a strong organization) than a sexy, one-time headline.  But as I stated, one of the issues I have is the response of state legislatures.  For instance, dogfighting is already a punishable crime here in Georgia.  There is already legislation drafted for next session to make it a felony. It will likely pass in response to this 'flash in the pan' issue. 

I only wish more serious offenses (IMO) received the same response.  Though it is sensationalizing the issue it begs the question--"How many more people have to die as a result of DUI (insert crime, societal issue) before lawmakers get serious about the problem." 

(don't even get me started on the sentencing guidlines and problems of said offenses)

Edited by ADollar79 2007-08-23 2:33 PM
2007-08-23 2:35 PM
in reply to: #938031

2007-08-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: #938031

Crystal Lake, IL
ADollar79 - 2007-08-23 2:31 PM
hangloose - 2007-08-23 3:03 PM

I agree that an issue like DUI is a bit more pervasive (though PETA is a strong organization) than a sexy, one-time headline.  But as I stated, one of the issues I have is the response of state legislatures.  For instance, dogfighting is already a punishable crime here in Georgia.  There is already legislation drafted for next session to make it a felony. It will likely pass in response to this 'flash in the pan' issue. 

I only wish more serious offenses (IMO) received the same response.  Though it is sensationalizing the issue it begs the question--"How many more people have to die as a result of DUI (insert crime, societal issue) before lawmakers get serious about the problem." 

(don't even get me started on the sentencing guidlines and problems of said offenses)

Fair enough.  Although just because other issues don't get the right attention doesn't mean that it is bad that the current issue is getting the attention that it is.  I think.  I'm feeling confused.

And Stephon Marbury is still an idiot.

2007-08-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #938087

2007-08-23 4:37 PM

Champion
the colony texas

Is there any truth to the report that the newest drug to prevent people from binge drinking or just not want to drink alcohol at all is going to be called...

Lohan-ime

2007-08-23 6:25 PM
in reply to: #938334

Pro
Tejas
Gaarryy - 2007-08-23 4:37 PM

Is there any truth to the report that the newest drug to prevent people from binge drinking or just not want to drink alcohol at all is going to be called...

Lohan-ime

LOL

2007-08-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #938334

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Gaarryy - 2007-08-23 3:37 PM

Lohan-ime

What about Lohan-brau ?   Taking that might make a person want to stop drinking.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lohan charged with 7 misdemeanors Rss Feed