General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-24 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Open Water Swim Suggestions
So tomorrow is my first OWS. The entire race only has 94 people doing it and it's only 200 yards. I am comfortable in lakes however never done an OWS as a race. This morning i went and practiced in a pool but practiced a few things. I would swim with my head in the water and then come up and lift my head as I was taking a stroke, as to try and get a glimpse of the "pretend buoy." then i also tried swimming without goggles and with my eyes closed and bringing my head up again to look. This is all during freestyle. Do any of you do this? have any recommendations for how to know where you're going? Can you give me some pointers in general about OWS's? Not sure how the wave thing is going to be bc we didn't even have to submit a swim time..you supposedly seed yourself. interesting...

Also..how many people switch to breast stroke when needing to see where they are? This might be less tiring bc as a strong swimmer, i am not accustomed to taking my head out of the water. I just breathe left and right.

2007-08-24 2:02 PM
in reply to: #939433

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim Suggestions
OW can definately be indimidating but if it is only 200 yds it should not be an issue.  Use what ever stoke you need to get to the finish.  If you are nervous start near the back and outside and just wait for people to get moving and then swim at your pace that way you avoid the washing machine effect.  Otherwise, you will get hit, bumped, pushed, grabbed, etc.  As far as sighting I just look up during the stroke somepeople breaststroke though.
2007-08-24 3:09 PM
in reply to: #939433

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim Suggestions

My suggestions:

1)  Do a quick warm up before the race just to get used to the water, particularly if the water is cold.  The quick change from air temp to cold water causes problems for some people (fast heartrate, fast breathing).  Getting comfortable in the water first reduces this.

2)  Start out with long, slow strokes.  This will keep you for starting out too fast due to all the excitement.  (I can't stand the feeling of going out too fast, breathing way too hard, and not being able to see the bottom.)  Once you're sure your heart rate and breathing are comfortable, pick up the pace if you desire.

3)  Just swim and have fun!  Your sighting technique won't get any better between today and tomorrow, so sight forward if it feels comfortable.  If not, just follow the people in front of you and stop or swim breaststroke (but don't kick the person behind you in the head!) when you need to see a buoy.  Since  you breathe on both side you'll probably swim straigher than most!

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Suggestions Rss Feed