General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie swimming questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-16 11:57 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: newbie swimming questions
I’m trying to tweak my swimming a little bit by watching others as they swim. I go under water and work on holding my breath but also watch what other people are doing.

What is the right way to kick? It looks like people kick and sort of roll their calves over each other. Is this right or does it just look like their legs are touching? Should the kicking be a smooth and steady kick and any pace (not in unison with arm strokes) or should I be kicking a certain number of times per arm stroke?

What about my hands; should the hands be cupped or spread out to create more surface area?

When taking an arm stroke should my arms be stiff as they enter the water and pass below me with my hands at arms length below me or should my arms go slack as they enter the water so that my hands are passing just below my body? When doing the breast stroke I do some funky swirling with my arms and it feels like I’m getting more of a push.

I know what someone is going to say; buy total immersion.

2004-10-17 7:05 AM
in reply to: #73293

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: newbie swimming questions
Here is a link to some videos of some of the top world swimmers. Maybe it can help answer some of your questions.
http://www.swim.ee/videos/index_example.html

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie swimming questions Rss Feed