General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm officially a triathlete!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-27 12:52 PM

Alberta, Canada
Subject: I'm officially a triathlete!!
This was my first triathlon. I had trained for about 3 months coming off of about 2 years of nothing. A while after baby #2 (who is now 4), I decided it was time to get back into shape, and lost over 70lbs. I was almost to my goal weight and God surprised us with another blessing- I was pregnant with our third. I had to stop all activity because of problems with my hips, back, headaches, ribs (well, you get the idea)- that was basically the 2 years off of everything. I had started going to physio last about Oct. and it was going great. She told me that I could finally start exercising- you know- sweating- again and I was thrilled! I started slow and by the end of May, I told her I had decided to do my first triathlon. She was a huge help!! I found this great website that had a plan- Couch to Sprint tri in 12 weeks, and started following it. It felt good to be exercising again!

Okay... the actual triathlon... I finished and I felt great! That was my goal and I achieved it. Now, being a competitor like I am at heart, I wasn't really happy with the overall time, but I finished and I felt great!!

The swim was so much harder than I expected. I grew up swimming in lakes and even swam at the actualy lake one day, but this day was different. I started out and couldn't catch my breath, then I heard wheezing and was wondering who that was coming from until I realized it was me!! That kind of freaked me out a bit!! I slowed down and just kept thinking- I want to finish- with my husband and kids to see me- and I want to feel great! Finally about half way, I felt like I had caught my breath enough to try freestyle again, but caught some water and started choking really bad. I just kept thinking- I will finish even if I have to float in, so finished with breaststroke and sidestroke.

The bike was great. I knew my time wouldn't be exceptional due to the fact that I was on a mountain bike with slicks, but I did my best- my best time ever actually. The roads were terrible- glad I didn't get a flat tire- because there were a few!!

The run was hard. I think this was because I didn't get enough sports drink on the bike due to the roads. My shoulders were really getting tight, so it was work to just keep them from going into spasm (as has happened before). It was so great to be able to come around the last corner and see my husband and girls along with friends yelling for me! I ran as hard as I could to cross the finish! A friend was there and had asked a volunteer if he could put the medal around my neck, which was really special, since he and his wife were some of my inspiration to do this in the first place!! Good thing he and my husband was there too- to hold me up as I just about collapsed. I needed sugar- fast!!

Okay, so my ramblings have come to an end. I'm a little sore today, but feeling great. My oldest daughter finished her first triathlon on Sat. and came in 3rd in her age group!! She's ready to do another this coming weekend if she could- but I think I will wait a little longer! hahaha!!

~Rachelle

2007-08-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: #942261

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
Subject: RE: I'm officially a triathlete!!
Congratulation!!! Keep training and get the 2nd one in.
2007-08-27 3:07 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Welcome to an exclusive, but accepting club!  Great job and keep positive.
2007-08-27 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Michigan
Congratulations Triathlete!
2007-08-27 6:14 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Congratulations. I too did my first and second triathlon this year. In 10 days I will be doing my third. It's an awesome feeling, isn't it?
2007-08-27 7:03 PM
in reply to: #942991

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Good job and congrats......

2007-08-27 7:16 PM

User image

Memphis, TN
Congrats!! I too became a triathlete this weekend (Chicago Tri). And I too, had a mini panic in the water....the freezing cold temps somehow took my breath from me. I'll be buying a wetsuit very soon.
So feel better knowing you aren't the only one. Time to start working towards our second one!
2007-08-28 10:52 AM

Expert
Congratulations! Ok now tell us when your next one is ... we know you're thinking about it already!
2007-08-28 11:41 AM

Alberta, Canada
I have definitely been thinking of another one, but I think I will wait until next year! My daughter is ready this weekend. I'm still a little sore and with my history of back, etc. problems, I want to go easy. I still have a bunch of weight I would like to lose from baby! I think what my plan now is to keep up the cardio with running, biking and swimming, but also add in more weights and core. I like the idea of the 8 week focused programs. So, still have to decide... The winters here get really cold and I'm not that hard core to run or bike in 20C or 30C below weather!!- maybe after next year??

The swim did really kind of freak me out though- so would definitely have to do A LOT of open water training before I do another one- even though I think the majority of it was nerves!! (I ended up literally sick to my stomach for 2 days after my wedding because of nerves!) At least this time- I didn't get sick after- I know I can learn to control them. My heart rate was the highest for the swim- over the bike and the run!

Thanks for all the notes!
~Rachelle
2007-08-28 12:26 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations, triathlete!!  It sounds like you've done a lot of hard work (losing 70 pounds is really impressive). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm officially a triathlete!! Rss Feed