General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what are realistic goals for next year? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-01 12:45 PM

Alberta, Canada
Subject: what are realistic goals for next year?
Okay, since reading the thread on top 3 goals for next year, it got me thinking...

I just completed my first Sprint tri last week with only 3 months training (after 2 years completely off because of problems with pregnancy and baby birth). How do you know how many races and how far apart to do them for the next year? I would like to do a 1/2 marathon, another Sprint and the would love to complete at least 1 Oly, but have no idea of timelines???

~Rachelle

2007-09-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: #949679

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: what are realistic goals for next year?
You will definately need to build you base over the winter but I think your goals are realistic.  IMO, an oly is not that much more difficult than a sprint, depending on the length of the sprint.  I would look into some races you are considering and even post them with dates on BT and see what people think.  You could always build base over the winter and then find an olympic as your "A" race and then find a sprint about 4 weeks out.  Maybe find a half mary a few months after your "A" race and continue your running from what you built of for your oly.  I know when I trained for my oly my longest run was around 10 miles so not far off from a half-mary.
2007-09-01 10:44 PM

Alberta, Canada
Okay, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm just trying to figure this all out!

1. How do you know how far apart to plan the different races?
2. When you said to plan for the Oly as my "A" race, then find a Sprint about 4 weeks out, does that mean I would be doing all the training for an Oly with the Sprint, basically as part of the training?
3. Also- what kind of base training will I have to do to be able to do the Oly? I was thinking of the winter maintenance programs on here, but not sure if they are enough??
4. Another one... what kind of training time will I need just for the Oly? I know there are so many different lengths of programs?

I hope this isn't too many questions. I really do need to still lose some weight from baby too, so this is another great reason to keep this all up, and I absolutely love the training!!

Thanks again for your help!
~Rachelle
2007-09-01 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Rachelle, welcome to BT (And congrats on the baby!)

I am no expert on all this tri-stuff, but I actually have similar goals to yours! (I have a 1/2 mary planned for this October, and am hoping to bump up to an Oly next year sometime after having completed 4 sprints). Anyway, I have no specific answers to your original post, but I did have a thought - recommend some books! This was one thing I found on my own that was really interesting, helpful and motivating! My two favorite tri books are below:

I would recommend "Slow Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. She chronicals her journey from an overweight woman to a triathlete! Though the information in her book isn't super technical, its a nice light look at triathlon training and was really funny! (Plus, a great motivator when you are trying to lose some weight)

For more technical answers about training plans, workouts, some help with goals, and questions like "how to do this" and "what the heck is that," I would check out Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible. It gets pretty technical (and I haven't needed all the information in it by any means), but he has some good information in there about training and how to build a plan, peak for races, manage basic nutrition, etc.

I'm sure you could find either book on Amazon.ca or Chapters.ca (I think I got my TTB -triathletes training bible- from chapters.ca.) Of course, the wonderful BT community will help you out as much as they can, so you're in good hands without the books. But these are just suggestions of where else you might find some information.

Nice to see another Canadian around here Take care!

Megz
2007-09-02 1:08 PM
in reply to: #950023

Alberta, Canada

Edited by brmorris 2007-09-02 1:11 PM
2007-09-02 1:10 PM
in reply to: #950023

Alberta, Canada

Hi there! Thanks for your advice!! I love books, so will check these out right away- maybe even this afternoon!! Also- where are you from?

~Rachelle (sorry about above- I'm not totally familiar with all the tools and way things work with quotes, editing, etc....)

Edited by brmorris 2007-09-02 1:12 PM

2007-09-02 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You can easily do 5-7 races depending on the length. I do two groups of races early and late. It is hard to peak for multiple races. Best thing to do is pick your most important races, then back into other races. If you race to much you don't have time to do quality training.

I'd suggest doing the 1/2 Mary in early spring maybe March. Then pick an A race for June and another one like late August or September. You live where it is cold so later is probably better as you need time outside to train.

Once you pick your A race look on BT for training plans and choose one that ends for your A race. I'd suggest spring do sprint and do your first Oly as your late season A race.

Good Luck and enjoy the journey!

2007-09-02 6:23 PM
in reply to: #950017

User image

Boulder, Colorado

brmorris - 2007-09-01 9:44 PM Okay, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm just trying to figure this all out! 1. How do you know how far apart to plan the different races? 2. When you said to plan for the Oly as my "A" race, then find a Sprint about 4 weeks out, does that mean I would be doing all the training for an Oly with the Sprint, basically as part of the training? 3. Also- what kind of base training will I have to do to be able to do the Oly? I was thinking of the winter maintenance programs on here, but not sure if they are enough?? 4. Another one... what kind of training time will I need just for the Oly? I know there are so many different lengths of programs? I hope this isn't too many questions. I really do need to still lose some weight from baby too, so this is another great reason to keep this all up, and I absolutely love the training!! Thanks again for your help! ~Rachelle

Of course the easy answer is to get a plan here on the BT site and you can have most of the worry taken out of your plan.

I'll take my best shot at your questions:
1. Most people can race 2x per month of 2x every 5 weeks.
2. Yes and no. At your level training for an OLY or Sprint is pretty much the same with the exception of the added distance to make sure you can finish the OLY safely. The training itself is not much different to be honest.
3. If you can do one of my winter base programs, then you will be fine. I have a sample of say 500-1000 now that have successfully completed the winter plan on their way to an OLY or even Half Iron.
4. The real question here is: how much time do you have to train? Once you know that you can set up your plan.

Like I said, the best bet is to get on one of the plans on the site and you won't have to worry about anything but getting the training done each day that's on the plan.

I hope this helps.

2007-09-02 8:41 PM
in reply to: #950229

User image

Extreme Veteran
brmorris - 2007-09-02 11:10 AM

Hi there! Thanks for your advice!! I love books, so will check these out right away- maybe even this afternoon!! Also- where are you from?

I'm from BC - Victoria and Nanaimo to be exact I am a book lover as well - sounds like we have lots in common!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what are realistic goals for next year? Rss Feed