General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The more I lose the fatter I feel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-02 12:02 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: The more I lose the fatter I feel

When I was at my biggest I was in some pretty major denial about my size.  I knew I was overweight but I told myself that it wasn't that bad, and that I was athletic (played hockey a couple of times a week) so it was ok.  Now that I've started weighing myself regularly (after first being shocked at how high the number had gotten) and paying attention to this stuff, I feel like I'm noticing my size a lot more.  When I look in the mirror or at pictures of myself I notice every little bit of chubbiness (and there is still a lot!).  When I compare new pictures to older ones I can see the changes, but yet i'm noticing/obsessing over the fat way more now than I ever did before.  Anyone else feel like this?

I love food way too much to ever develop an eating disorder or anything but I think I can see how it would start.  At times I find myself getting way too concerned about the amount of flab I still have left to lose.  It amazes me that I didn't "notice" it before when there used to be so much more! 

2007-09-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: #950038

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: The more I lose the fatter I feel
I think what you are experiencing is very common. I've had the same feeling. When I was at my heaviest, I was totally in denial about my size. I just thought the photos were lying. Then, one I started to get in shape, I started noticing all the thin, fit women in the gym and comparing myself with them. I can't say that I have a good solution, though.
2007-09-02 5:56 PM

Huntington beach,ca
Hi, I rarely post or reply but this topic is really ringing true for me. I could not say it better myself and I have told my wife many times in the last few months that " The more I lose I feel even bigger" but I think being in a position to lose alot more weight as I am , (265 current, 190 goal) I am just going to keep my nose to the grindstone knowing that I will reach plateaus and have great victories to come to encourage me.
I have been through all of this before ( which can be discouraging in itself) and I know that the last 10-15 lbs really seemed to take as long as the 70 other, so I will just stick with my program and have the confidence that it is going to work even if sometimes It seems like a snail pace. I am not goin to live for my future body or remorse over my past weight but just be encouraged that every mile I bike,run or swim along with every sacrifice I make in my eating habits are the vechile to get me where I want to go!!! isn't that exciting something in life I CAN control! whew that is refreshing..........
2007-09-06 7:23 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I know it's easier said than done, but try and keep focused on how far you've come and not how far might have to go.  Enjoy the shopping for new clothes and get rid of the old ones. 

You are not alone in how you are feeling! 

Have you taken your measurements along the way?  That was something that really helped me put into perspective that I was getting smaller.

You're doing great, when you reach your goal you will look back and say wow I look fantastic!

2007-09-06 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
Take a look in the mirror, pick out a spot you don't like, stare at it, and then say...

"You, (insert troublesome spot here), will not look like that a month from now. I'm better than you and I can beat you."

And then go for it, like the strong, motivated woman you are!!
2007-09-08 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

Let's see.....

Being overweight and not noticing vs. Being overweight, noticing and doing something about it.

As long as it's kept at a healthy perspective, noticing is okay- and even motivating.  I totally am relating to past vs. present and it does seem (from past experience) that when I was thin, I felt fat more often (bloatedness counts as feeling fat) and was way more aware of every pound I gained/lost.

Now? at 187, I think-- what's a nother pound?!? and I need to get back into that perspective of noticing more.  I think that's how people keep getting bigger & bigger.  It's the 'what's another pound at this stage of the game' syndrome that keeps gaining weight in the cycle of behavior.

thanks for posting this!!  It's really caused me to ponder my situation and hopefully helped you at the same time.

2007-09-10 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

One trick that has worked for me is I have kept one item of clothing that is from when I was at my biggest.

Any time Im really struggling to believe Ive lost any weight I put it on and realise what a HUGE difference Ive made... it really really brings it home for me!

2007-09-13 11:30 AM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2007-09-14 12:27 PM

User image

Cincinnati, OH
I realized my self image was way of when:

1. The safety bar on an amuzement park ride could barely close

2. I couldn't get up on water skis anymore (The boat wasn't fast enough, but all my friends could get up)

2007-09-14 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

This is definately just a mental issue.  Before you did not care and were in denial about your look.  Now you actually care so your mind might actually help you get to your goal quicker because it does not like what it sees, before it could have gave a crap.

Just keep at it, you will get there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The more I lose the fatter I feel Rss Feed