General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-20 11:27 AM

Master
Boston
Subject: Shin Splints
Hey, everyone. I'm sure most of us at some point have gotten some shin splints...I actually started getting them in my right shin only - about 2 weeks before my triathlon. I was icing my shin every day...but I wanted to know. How long should I wait before I start running again? And, do you think my shin splints are due to running on treadmills? It's not my shoes- they are only a few months old... Thanks for your help. =)

Lisa

2004-11-01 7:00 PM
in reply to: #74367

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Shin Splints
My coach told me that when I run on a treadmill I should vary the elevation slightly when I'm running so I don't get shin splints.
2004-11-02 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
I'm a high school cross country coach and deal with this situation all of the time. I also have had quite the time with shin splints myself. I have found that you really can't run through them, unless your just starting out with a program when your just getting use to the stress. If you have been running for months and start having problems, the best thing to do is rest your shins by backing off a little with your training. Try aquajogging instead of pounding the pavement. I would still try and run a few times a week. Make sure you ice several times a day. Start back with running slowly and avoid hills and sprinting for a bit.

They usually come about because of a change in the running workout: intensity, mileage, running surface, hills, shoes .....

I have been told other solutions such as arch supports, calf stretching, toe riser exercises, taping .. all have worked for certain people, but I never had much luck with them. They may be worth a try.

I have went to a DR. about shins a long time ago and all he said was to talk 6 weeks off and take some anti-inflammatories. Not much help.

Good luck
:)

Edited by Blacktoe 2004-11-02 10:23 AM
2004-11-05 10:25 PM

New user

Cherry Hill
Hey Gator Girl,

Just going through the posts and came across your inquiry from two weeks ago. Kinda just checking in - did you run the Tri yet? Did you start running right away again or did you take a few days off? Any feedback on what worked for you?

I know when I had shin splints a few months ago it was because of my shoes. I buy only Saucony Grid Stabil MCs and I can usually get about 350 miles, or about 14-15 weeks, out of them. My last pair though I only got around 200 miles on them when my shins starting aching like crazy. I went out and bought a new pair of shoes and the pain went away after two days of running.

I changed nothing else during that time period. I just chalked the bad pair of shoes up to pre-broken down insoles or something and moved on. Just as a precaution though I take anti-inflammatories before and after a long run which exceeds 10 miles. Other than that - hope everything went well and is back to normal. Let us know how you make out with the Tri! Good Luck!!!
2004-11-07 4:40 PM
in reply to: #79673

Master
Boston
Fargo296 - 2004-11-05 10:25 PMHey Gator Girl, Just going through the posts and came across your inquiry from two weeks ago. Kinda just checking in - did you run the Tri yet? Did you start running right away again or did you take a few days off? Any feedback on what worked for you? I know when I had shin splints a few months ago it was because of my shoes. I buy only Saucony Grid Stabil MCs and I can usually get about 350 miles, or about 14-15 weeks, out of them. My last pair though I only got around 200 miles on them when my shins starting aching like crazy. I went out and bought a new pair of shoes and the pain went away after two days of running. I changed nothing else during that time period. I just chalked the bad pair of shoes up to pre-broken down insoles or something and moved on. Just as a precaution though I take anti-inflammatories before and after a long run which exceeds 10 miles. Other than that - hope everything went well and is back to normal. Let us know how you make out with the Tri! Good Luck!!!

Hey Fargo296- Thanks for checking in...The triathlon went really well. I was a little nervous about doing a sprint tri- had never done one before. The only other one i did was an olympic distance tri in Clermont, FL in April...It was beautiful weather, pretty easy course...couldn't ask for a better time. My shins are doing a lot better too. I've been trying to ice them at least once, if not twice, a day. I think I will ask for new running shoes this Christmas. I have a long list going- aerobars, clipless pedals, padded bike shorts, shoes, HRM, etc... I'm sure my parents and boyfriend will be thrilled. haha. Anyways, I'm just keeping busy training right now- 5 days on/ 2 days off. It's tough taking days off when I want to keep training, but I know my body needs it. Take care, see you around BT.
2004-11-08 4:24 PM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
Subject: here's a link with great info.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints Rss Feed