General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is an indoor Tri, really a tri ?!?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-09-06 10:24 PM
in reply to: #954838

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Is an indoor Tri, really a tri ?!?!?!
I have an idea. Let's all compromise and call this a "multi-sport event".

Geez, who cares? Jason, have fun with this thing, get hooked, keep training and do an outdoor event in the spring. Then none of this will even matter. I admire your commitment to getting healthier and wish you luck in your training. However, please be smart, and ease into things, especially the running.

2007-09-07 6:11 AM
in reply to: #952592

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Why is this such a big deal? Is it a triathlon, yes. Is it a hard triathlon, no.
But it does what it is intended to do, give you a taste for the sport or in some case give veterans a good workout. In most cases, if some one beats you in an indoor tri they are going to beat you in an outdoor tri.
This is like saying a tri with a pool swim is not a tri. While easier, they all are tris......simple.

2007-09-07 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Jason, I think it's awesome. Have a great time!

An indoor competition like this sounds like a fun way for gym goers to challenge themselves and each other.  If it helps you in your goal toward fitness, then it's a positive step in your overall triathlon training.

2007-09-07 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Wow! Now I see why non-triathletes think we're all a bunch of over-analytical, neurotic, type-A personalities.

Of course it's a triathlon! Who cares if it's inside? For Pete's sake, you're swimming, biking, and running, and you have to start somewhere that fits in with your personal fitness level and goals.

One of my favorite events was an indoor triathlon put on by folks from the Tri-DRS list. You could pick sprint, Olympic, or even if you were especially nuts, half or full ironman distances. The only thing was it had to be entirely indoors. Transitions didn't count (in case you had to be one place to swim and another place to bike or run) and you could do the events in any order. You reported your own times, and if you did any part of the event outside, you got a 12-hour time penalty (really!). There were no awards, but you had the honor of having your name posted on a web site along with everyone else.

This indoor triathlon "race" generated the most hilarous "race reports" you would ever want to read. I mean, pee your pants funny. And it granted you full permission to say, "yep, I'm crazier than anyone else at my gym."

2007-09-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: #955100

Expert
This indoor triathlon "race" generated the most hilarous "race reports" you would ever want to read.
- from kvesey

This is great! Should be copied elsewhere - get people involved in exercise and having FUN. Love it!

Edited by BabsVa 2007-09-07 1:52 PM
2007-09-07 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

YES!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is an indoor Tri, really a tri ?!?!?! Rss Feed  

of 3