General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for recommendations on an Indoor Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-06 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Looking for recommendations on an Indoor Trainer
The subject line says it all . . . figure this would be the winter where I focus and improve my bike leg. Would welcome BT'ers input on a good Indoor Trainer. I have been recommended the Kinetic Road Machine Trainer. Any opinions on this one?

see: http://trisports.com/kinroadmactr.html

Also, what other 'stuff' do I need to get with my trainer? watt meter? The 'Kinetic Trainer Deluxe Accessories Kit' costs just as much as the trainer!?

Many thanks.

2007-09-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: #953614

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Looking for recommendations on an Indoor Trainer
The Kinetic trainer is reputed to be one of the best available trainers out there.  You could get all the "bells and whistles" if you have lots of money to spare.  All you really need is a good bike to put on the training, an odometer with the rpm reading, a couple of training DVD's, an area to work out in and a large towel on the floor to catch all the sweat that will be pouring off of you when you train.
2007-09-08 10:28 AM

User image

Austin, TX
I have a Kinetic and it works well. It's my first and only so no comparison available. It weighs a lot, built very solidly and doesn't move at all while I'm sprinting along with the Spinervals workout video. Not as quiet as I had thought it would be, but again I have no comparison. Definitely watch the sweat and counter it. You will want to protect your frame and your floor. Also, it comes with an extra rear quick release which you should use to protect your good one as the trainer connections can scratch them.

If it's your first trainer I wouldn't worry about all of the extras until you're sure you'll use it as frequently as you intend. No need to waste money that could be spent on other bike stuff.

~C
2007-09-09 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Thanks for the great input
2007-09-11 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
I love my Cycleops Fluid2 Trainer. I have been riding it a few times a week for the last few weeks and really love it.

It's quiet, compact and has a great feel on the ride. It is solid enough that it doesn't move when I sprint but I can take it in the car if I need to when I go to a race for warm-up.

I do not have experience with others but I have no problems at all with the cycleops fluid2.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for recommendations on an Indoor Trainer Rss Feed