General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race week tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-09 10:43 PM

User image

Subject: Race week tips
Hey guys, im doing my first race this saturday, and was just curious about some workout tips. Would you do your normal workouts, or lighter more endurance workouts on race week? Also, raceday nutrition is a question for me. Thanks for any advice!

2007-09-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: #957491

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Race week tips

Hey there! You're not posting your logs so I don't know what kind of volume you're doing as far as workouts go, but as a general rule; race week is TAPER week. This means "take it easy".  You can go out and do a few very light workouts, but nothing that is going to put any stress on your muscles.

Taper week is for giving your body time to recover from your workouts so your muscles can rebuild.  Lots of stretching and fluids should be on the menu. 

I'm guessing you're doing the Anthem reverse tri this Saturday.  This is a sprint distance, so nutrition during the race isn't an issue.  It's short so you won't need any.  Just eat things during the day that won't upset your stomach during the race.

HAVE FUN!!!

2007-09-10 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
the desert

x2 on posting your workouts.  I tend to take it easier as I get closer to the race and probably won't do anything the day before except maybe a light swim.

There are a bunch of us doing the sprint this Saturday. As far as nutrition for me, I'll probably do eggs for b'fast and peanut butter for lunch. Oh yeah, and since it's so damn hot, I'll be putting away the water all day.

2007-09-10 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

For future races it is best to "practice" your nutrition during work-outs before race week.  You would hate to make yourself ill when you find out that chocolate/strawberry GU does not sit well in your GI! 

Congrats on the first Tri and whatever you do, have fun!

Edited by perkins_jerryw 2007-09-10 12:52 PM
2007-09-10 2:02 PM

User image

okay, i finally took the time to transfer my caveman log to the online trainig log. It takes alot of time to catch up, but ill try to keep up to date now.

we do bike/runs at south mtn. 15 mile bike up san juan(i think is the name of the rd.) Then run 5k out and back the same way.

Usually we go to saguaro or canyon for a full S.B.R. (1 a week last 2 weeks)

I do 2-3 days strength, 1 day upper,1 day lower,1 day track. core 3 days. I either ride, bike, or swim before/after these strength training. 20-30mins

I have been pretty strict on this program since july 13.

My diet has been more whole foods this month, mostly fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc.
Also getting one serving of meat a day. either Fish/poultry/extra lean beef.

4-6 meals/snacks a day total, with help of my friend who is a whole food nutrition coach.

Okay, so thats it in a nutshell, My training partner and i keep each other pretty motivated, and we are about the same level. Im confident on these sprints(i have been training at the same dist), and my goal is the Soma quarter!
I know i will be ready, and i cant wait!

2007-09-10 2:42 PM

User image

Master

Heck, you're going to make it easy.

Just go out and have a blast!  Tear the place up!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race week tips Rss Feed