General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Vs Road bike for the Clydesdale Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-10 10:20 AM

User image

Subject: Tri Vs Road bike for the Clydesdale
Im am planning on buying a new bike after the first of the year. I raced my 1st Tri on my comfort bike, so anything new will feel like a rocket. Im 6'4" and currently 276#. I have told myself no new bike till im below 250. Question is are tri bikes comfortable and safe for a guy my size? I plan on doing just sprint races next year and maybe and Oly in 2009. I dont mind spending the cash for a good bike. I just dont want to feel remorse after.

2007-09-10 11:00 AM
in reply to: #957950

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Subject: RE: Tri Vs Road bike for the Clydesdale
samsdad - 2007-09-10 8:20 AM

Im am planning on buying a new bike after the first of the year. I raced my 1st Tri on my comfort bike, so anything new will feel like a rocket. Im 6'4" and currently 276#. I have told myself no new bike till im below 250. Question is are tri bikes comfortable and safe for a guy my size? I plan on doing just sprint races next year and maybe and Oly in 2009. I dont mind spending the cash for a good bike. I just dont want to feel remorse after.

Of course at Tri bike is fine! You will work some muscles in your neck and back and be sore for a day or two.

I am 6'6 and right around your weight. I have a 61cm Felt S32. It works well. I had it professionaly fit and I have had no problems.

I just finished my 2nd Oly this year. I also finished a Sprint and a Duathlon on my bike. I love it. When I get to 250lbs, I am buying a new pair of ZIPP wheels! ALWAYS HAVE A WEIGHT GOAL!! hahha!
2007-09-10 11:56 AM

User image

You can probably find both, Road and Tri bikes that would work for you, it's really a matter of personal choice.

I am 6'7, 215-220lbs and I train, race and bike around the city on a 61cm steel frame Lemond Croix de Fer road bike. Two days ago I raced on it for the first time and it felt great, I averaged 31km/h an a 10k bike course. Next year I am planning to race Sprints and Olys on the same bike without any upgrades other than maybe a clip-on aerobar. My .02 cents on this is that unless you are racing for the medal where every second counts, or you really have to have the latest in technology, a fancy Road/Tri bike wouldn't make a big difference. What really counts is the "engine" and how you train. Racing on a Tri bike wouldn't make you a better swimmer or runner ;-)

Whatever your decision is make sure the bike is properly fitted for you.
2007-09-11 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
That last bit may not be completely true... in addition to the aero benefits of the tri bikes, they can also save your legs some for the run.
2007-09-11 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
samsdad - 2007-09-10 10:20 AM

I am 6'1" and 220 lbs - I started on a Trek 1000 and then upgraded to a Griffin Tri Bike. The only thing I have heard is the wheels - Clydesdales can put more strain on the wheels, also check the bikes - some MFG don't recommend Carbon for anyone over 200lbs. The Comfort issue is the set up and fitting of the bike - pay someone who knows what they are doing - Mine is fine - good luck, send pics in when you purchase.
2007-09-11 9:54 AM

You may want to consider a Cervelo Team Soloist. It works well as both a road and Tri bike. Just switch the seat post around and add aerobars to have a good Tri bike. With the seat post in the other position it works well as a road bike.
I have been using mine for both TRI's and Road Riding for the last two years. I weighed over 250 then and have dropped to 220. As long as you get a sturdy set of wheels, the bike will hold up well for years. If the bike fits it is a great deal in my opinion - like getting two bikes for the price of one.

2007-09-11 10:10 AM
in reply to: #959534

User image

JoshKaptur - 2007-09-11 8:52 AM

That last bit may not be completely true... in addition to the aero benefits of the tri bikes, they can also save your legs some for the run.

True, a Tri bike will help saving some energy and ease on the legs but won't make you a better runner, training will ;-)

As I said, it's really a personal choice. For samsdad, which is 276lbs saving the legs could be a huge factor in which case a Tri bike makes sense.

I cannot stress this enough, go for a bike fit even if you have to pay for the service and do it BEFORE you buy your bike (not the other way around). You are 6'4 and you probably need a big frame.
2007-09-11 8:17 PM

User image

Thanks for all the great feedback.
2007-09-21 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Similar situation here, did my first tri on my hybrid. It worked fine (except for the tires being too wide for the rackCouple of things to add.

First, I'd throw in the Kestrel Talon along with the Soloist as a solid tri/road switcher. It is a full carbon frame, though I never came across any weight restrictions when I was researching. I was 220 when I started riding it and it is holding up fine.

Second thing is something I've noticed switching from sitting up on my nice comfy hybrid I use on the bike trails to a more aggressive position my new bike for races is that the part of me I'm trying to get rid of with all this tri training (my gut) can make it hard to breath efficiently. I still increased my pace just by switching, but I've still got a long way to go to get to the point that I'm doing the Kestrel justice.

On a bike trip a few years ago, one of the guides backed the van into the road bike I was using and I had to switch to a hybrid on the last day. Even though the road bike was actually a better fit size-wise and a better bike overall, I felt like I was turbocharged due to the increased oxygen intake. Until this summer, I'd stayed with the hybrid whenever I'd ride.

It is getting better as the weight is coming down and I actually have a harder time with it on my stationary bike that I can't quite get adjusted right.
2007-09-21 11:15 AM
in reply to: #974080

User image

Thats what I am most concerned about, my GUT in the aero position. That helps a lot.
I am going with the road bike and I am thinking Trek Pilot 2.1. There are a few good LBS here in the St.Louis area that carrie Trek. I just need to decide on who to use.
Thanks for your help.
2007-09-28 4:46 PM

Veteran
Mesa, az
I find pushing the seat all the way forward gives me a position similar to the tri bike as far as the legs go for running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Vs Road bike for the Clydesdale Rss Feed