United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 16s
Overall Rank = 44/450
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 10/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Had already packed the night before so grabbed some Accelerade and started hydrating. Jessica was doing the Tri with me so grabbed all her stuff and headed out to Siesta Key.
Event warmup:

Jogged about half mile with Jess and then did some stretching. Set up Transition area and headed out to the water.
Swim
  • 22m 19s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

Relax a bit more in the beginning. Took to long to get into my rythm before I settled down.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt the transition went well. I was surprised however how tired my legs seemed after standing up and getting out of the water and running through thick sand to get back to the transition area.

Not much to improve here as I though the transition went well. A bit faster speed into tranition and general improvement overall. Probably will be a different story if the water temp falls and I need a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 37m 25s
  • 21 kms
  • 33.67 km/hr
Comments:

It took a bit to get up to speed and then comfortable. I think after 2 or 3 guys passed me that I realized I should step it up a notch. After that I was passing people right and left and felt pretty good. Never really felt tired during the bike ride so thought at that point I was doing well.

Should have got up to speed immediately rather than waiting a couple miles before I stepped it up.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Legs were definately tired after the bike ride and I had trouble getting the cycling shoes off and running shoes on. Did it standing up but got a bit wobbley while doing it.

Be a bit more incontrol in doing the shoe change.
Run
  • 23m 33s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 43s  min/km
Comments:

I knew immediately in starting the run that I had used a whole lot of energy on the bike. Legs felt very tired and having to get through the heavy sand was a killer.

Only thing here would be harder brick workouts to prepare for getting off the bike and into the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and talking with Jess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Since this was my first Tri I think the unknown was a big factor in limiting my speed. Overall was very happy with the time but know I can do better with the right trainning and preparation. Getting the first one out of the way will only make it easier to prepare and know what the next one will be like.

Event comments:

Overall a very organized and good event. Would have liked to see transition times accounted for rather than just swim / bike / run. Also could have used more water stations along the run as their was only one at the turnaround point. Also they were using terribley small cups for the water. If you grabbed one while running you spilled most of it before you could use it. Good race though and will definately be on my calendar for next year.

Last updated: 2004-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:19 | 1000 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/33
Overall: 0/450
Performance: Good
Suit: Wearing My Desoto Tri Suit
Course: Off of beach, straight out to first buoy and then left hand turn. Past 4 more buoys and then left again straight into beach. Out of water through thick sand and back into transition area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:25 | 21 kms | 33.67 km/hr
Age Group: 10/33
Wind: Little
Course: Street running through the heart of Siesta Key. Traffic was being stopped and controlled by the police so there were no problems from that point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:33 | 05 kms | 04m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 9/33
Performance: Average
Course: Out of transition and back through thick sand down on to the beach. Down the beach to the turnaround point and then back the same path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-22 9:29 AM

User image

Sarasota, FL
Subject: A race

2004-10-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: #75198

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: A race
Congratulations on your first race! Well done!

-Frank
2004-10-23 2:03 PM
in reply to: #75198

, Alabama
Subject: RE: A race

Incredible times for your first race.  Especially running in the sand.  Congratulations!

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » A race Rss Feed