General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for my first tri season 2008 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-11 10:31 PM

Subject: Training for my first tri season 2008
My name is Clinton, live in Colorado. I have always been fascinated with the triathalon, ironman, olympic, sprint, long course, everything with the sport. I have never entered a tri, but 2008 is hopefully my year to compete. The last few years I have been too busy with work and now I finally have the time to train, but last year in January I hurt my knee snowboarding, which has not healed...not enough rest.

So I am looking for advice on training plans (base specific) around swimming and biking, but alo focusing on weights. I need to lay off of any high impact activities for my knee...did a five mile run last weekend, which caused my knee to swell.

Any advice would be great. I look forward to have a great year.

2007-09-11 10:45 PM
in reply to: #961030

Subject: RE: Training for my first tri season 2008
See your doctor for clearance before starting any program. Best of luck.
2007-09-12 5:49 AM

New user

I Clinton, I'm jess. I am bout to "introduce myself" I just did my first sprint level triathlon and I am happy to say it was fantastic and addicting!
2007-09-12 11:30 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Hey Clinton, welcome...this site if JAM PACKED with great advise, plans, etc...I think you'll find a lot of what you're looking for, and the best of all SOME AWESOME PEOPLE!
2007-09-12 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Hi Clinton, Welcome to the BT group!

Although I've never been to Colorado I hear it's an awesome place for sports and I believe I recently read that your state has a 24 hours of triathlon event, which just sounds like a blast!

Lots of great people here and LOTS of advice.

Don't forget to have fun out there

2007-09-12 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Dude! Welcome!

See your Doc about the knee. What type of injury was it? Ligament? Soft tissue? Fracture? Reason I ask is I have knee problems, too. Mostly, it's just pain. If your Doc says there's no risk for injury, then, well...no pain, no pain (or is that "gain"?)

Pumping on the bike will help drain the knee, just pedal with that in mind. Swimming is no-impact and would be my suggestion for strengthening. Dolphin kick on kick board, flutter, etc. If you're truly healed, it's still gonna take your brain some time to trust it. Don't limp around, but don't be stupid either, yes? TALK TO YOUR DOC FIRST!!!!!

PM me if you want to talk about it more. Bon chance, mon amie! (No, I'm not French or French-Canadian...just never get to use that year of French I took in High School 25 years ago!)

Late!

2007-09-13 12:41 PM

Regular
Set goals, find your first triathlon you plan on doing on the web, research its course and all you can about it. Make out a calender that will allow you to train for it. Picture yourself crossing the finish line with friends and family cheering you on. Go to youtube, type in first triathlon and watch peoples first triathlon experience. This will motivate you even more. Use this site, ask more questions, look at the programs for training, read the articles, make sure you get gear you are happy with, not junk to save a few bucks. For me my biggest thing to diet. Eat whole foods, tons of fruit, veggies, whole wheat carbs (the whiter the bread, the quicker the dead!), tons of egg whites and fish for protein. I used to lift 5 days a week and run 2 or 3 miles a week for cardio before discoving triathlon. Lifting 2 times a week and 9 hours of swim, bike, run a week is a little different. I will leave you with this...Triathlon has changed my outlook on life. After you complete your dream of your first triathlon you will probably have another dream, crossing the finish line of your first Ironman a few years down the road. Once you do your first you will be changed for life. Also check out Mitch Throwers videos on youtube and veoh.

2007-09-13 12:56 PM

Regular
Also if your knee is an issue when run training comes along I have one advise...GET GOOD SHOES. Don't go to JCPenny and get some discount Nikes for $50 with no support. Go to a running or Tri store that can really help you out
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for my first tri season 2008 Rss Feed