General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traffic ticket while riding bike??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-09-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #963219

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Traffic ticket while riding bike???
I roll through stop signs, but very, very slowly I always stop at red lights. People just don't like us because they know they can't pull off wearing spandex.

2007-09-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: #963201

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

First week of college, my freshman year.  Wake up late, hop on the bike, off to class.  While riding the wrong way down a one-way street behind the building my class was located in, I get whistled down by a campus cop.  Being a freshman, I rode right on over, where I got a "campus appearance citation".  I had to go before the judicial board and promise I'd never do it again, get threatened that this would go on my "permanent" record, all that jazz.  Meanwhile, the folks that were drinking underage didn't get jack.

I still am very careful about one-way streets...

I only blow through stop signs if on a group ride and surrounded by 20+ other cyclists, doing the same.  I'm not going to be the one that slams on the brakes on the group ride and causes the crash.  If I'm solo, I'll stop.  We stop on our long small group (less than 5-6 riders) rides too, except for 2 spots with zero traffic, ever.

Edited by fgump 2007-09-13 12:31 PM
2007-09-13 12:34 PM
in reply to: #963366

Champion
South Jersey

tjtryon - 2007-09-13 12:24 PM
the bear - 2007-09-13 11:26 AM Not sure why you would expect favorable treatment for breaking the law on a bicycle. Don't you want the same rights as a motor vehicle? Why should you expect not to have the same responsibilities, not to obey the same laws?
Bear - I agree with you - though I have at least 2 stop lights on my 25 mile commute to work that I can not set off, as they are not on a timer. I can either wait a long time for a car to come along to set it off, run the light when no cars comes along, or turn right, ride about a mile to where the barrier stops so I can do a u-turn so I can get back to where I need to go - no cross walk/cross walk signal. If you don't want me to run the red light, make it so I can change the light. I have had to resort to carrying a camera flash bulb in the past to trigger a light via the emergency vehicle strobe sensor.

I hate that! I have a light that I come to at the end of all my rides. It's at a T-intersection, and make a left there (I can only go left or right). Unfortunately, the cars approaching from the right are coming around a bend and I can't see the traffic well enough to risk pulling out when the light is red. Early on Saturday mornings, I have sat at that light for 4+ minutes (never as long as 5, thank goodness) waiting for a car to come and trip the sensor as my bike can't do so. I would probably run the light if I didn't consider it too dangerous.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-09-13 12:34 PM
2007-09-13 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

I hope everyone is wearing a helmet!

I got a jaywalking ticket once.  I thought it was a joke, so I didn't pay it.  Imagine my surprise when I was pulled over one day to find out that my drivers license had been suspended.  It took me six months to get my license back, all because I got a ticket waliking.

The point to the story is that if we want to have privilages to ride on the rode, then we have to obey the rules of the road.  If we off enough drivers, we may run the risk of being banned from using the roads.  It might sound extreme, but I don't think it is too far fetched.

2007-09-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: #963260

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
LaurenSU02 - 2007-09-13 8:41 AM

I know someone who got pulled over for doing 30 in a 25 when on his bike. Fortunately, the cop let him off with a warning.

LOL - I once had a cop pull me over just to let me know he clocked me doing 21 and that he thought it was pretty cool I could go that fast and that I should keep up the good work. However, I didn't point out to him that the fastest I traveled when passing him and while he was behind me was 19 mph. Obviously, his radar was off!

I doubt he was looking at his radar.

2007-09-13 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

You can not have it both ways.  I would imagine the reason local citizens think the bikers are a menace is they are tired of both seeing cyclists run stop signs, and stop lights.  Just because YOU rolled the stop sign does not mean your fellow cyclist are rolling it, many of them are likely blowing through it.  If that is what they are doing having local law ENFORCEMENT pulling cyclist over and ticketing them will hopefully prevent some moron from getting killed.

While I understand the problem of traffic lights not working for a bike, I can think of 2 solutions, both of which I think would be legal.
1. GET OFF THE STUPID BIKE AND WALK ACROSS THE CROSS WALK - you are now a pedistrian and can cross, however you would be wise to wait for a walk signal to prevent possible a jaywalking ticket.
2. Right turn on red, ride down the street turn left and then turn around (without doing a U-turn, which is also illegal) and come back out onto the street.

2007-09-13 2:21 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
In some states, Texas for sure, if you are too light to trigger the traffic light you are legally allowed to run the red light after a certain amount of time.

This was part of the training given to motorcycle riders who encouter this problem on a regular basis and don't have the option to 'walk it accross the crosswalk.'
2007-09-13 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Law or no law I think anyone who gets a ticket for running a light/sign is just getting harassed by some cop who had seeing cyclist on the road.  Sorry if this offends someone and yes I would still pay the fine.   I typically avoid roads but the ones I do ride on are in the country and happen to be near were the OP lives.  There are not cars on most of these roads but there are stop signs and I do not stop unless I can see a car even if it is a 100 yards away then I stop and let them go.  I figure if nothing else it is showing good will to the larger vehicle and maybe they won't run me down.  I stop at all lights on this route because they cross major intersections and I am not about to get hit.   A bike or a car for that matter who runs a stop sign in the middle of the country going 15 or 20 miles an hour where you can see for a mile is not going to hurt anyone.  If you are riding in the city and not stopping that is different.   Plus where I ride at the points I do run signs there probably will not be a cop looking to bust people anyways.  Sitting there looking for speeders would be ridiculous because there are no cars. 

I am just saying that the police should use some common sense when ticketing for this and preface the ticket with "this is a busy road and you tried to out run a car coming the other direction".

2007-09-13 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
My solution. Just run from the cops.

It would be a great workout and it probably would get me out of a ticket. When the cops see some guy on his mountain bike pedaling as fast as he can and barely hitting 15mph, they probably will either leave me alone because they'll have pity on me, or laugh so hard they won't possibly be able to write out my citation.

2007-09-13 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
ryanm_james - 2007-09-13 11:18 AM
With clip-ins it is very hard to justify stopping at the stop sign.

Is all of this simply because you feel inconvenienced?

Out here in the Midwest you can't simply blow through a stop out in the county like you do in your area of the country.. We've got acres of 8ft corn fields that you can't see around the corner unless you are stopped and creeping forward (both in a car and on a bike). With the recent rash of vehicle vs. bike incidents that we've had up here I would fully expect a cop to hand out a warning or a ticket for failure to stop / yield / whatever.
Simply because it's a Safety issue.. not a harassment issue.

Unless it's a race and there are people holding up traffic at intersections (city and county) I'll stop.. Especially now that I will be using clip-ins. I know my riding buddies won't like it, but I'd rather be incovenienced than mangled.
2007-09-13 2:57 PM
in reply to: #963814

User image

stone age rage - 2007-09-13 12:50 PM My solution. Just run from the cops. It would be a great workout and it probably would get me out of a ticket. When the cops see some guy on his mountain bike pedaling as fast as he can and barely hitting 15mph, they probably will either leave me alone because they'll have pity on me, or laugh so hard they won't possibly be able to write out my citation.

LOL, best post in the thead.....

Where's mr2tony when you need him???

I guess I don't understand the "you're not hurting anyone" argument.  So, I should be able to park at an expired meter and then successfully defend a ticket since I wasn't hurting anyone?  The argument is a non sequitur to me.  Under that logic you'd never get a ticket for running a red light, since if you didn't get killed, or no one else did, then non one got hurt.  That's not the std of how laws are enforced.

In our town last summer they actually put up signs on two popolur routes,saying "bicyclists shall obey all signals and stop signs."  I know two people that got tickets for running a stop sign (the same one, actually).  Still, what did we do (and what do we do)?  When we come upon stop signs at 5:30 a.m., we slow down a bit but blow through them.  Signals, go through if no traffic.  During the day?  We slow down some more, and check behind for cops, then roll through. 

It's funny though, if there is a cop, we all yell "stopping" to eachotehr so we all know.  And the cop does as well.    Frankly, it's not hard to come to a complete stop and then start again while clipped in.  Don't even need to know how to do a track stand (for stop signs).

And heck, I know the law.  If I get a ticket for rolling a stop sign I'll and moan, but I certainly wouldn't give the cop any attitude, I'd pay the darn thing

Edited by ChrisM 2007-09-13 3:00 PM

2007-09-13 3:47 PM
in reply to: #963830

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
ChrisM - 2007-09-13 2:57 PM

stone age rage - 2007-09-13 12:50 PM My solution. Just run from the cops. It would be a great workout and it probably would get me out of a ticket. When the cops see some guy on his mountain bike pedaling as fast as he can and barely hitting 15mph, they probably will either leave me alone because they'll have pity on me, or laugh so hard they won't possibly be able to write out my citation.

LOL, best post in the thead.....

Where's mr2tony when you need him???

I guess I don't understand the "you're not hurting anyone" argument.  So, I should be able to park at an expired meter and then successfully defend a ticket since I wasn't hurting anyone?  The argument is a non sequitur to me.  Under that logic you'd never get a ticket for running a red light, since if you didn't get killed, or no one else did, then non one got hurt.  That's not the std of how laws are enforced.

In our town last summer they actually put up signs on two popolur routes,saying "bicyclists shall obey all signals and stop signs."  I know two people that got tickets for running a stop sign (the same one, actually).  Still, what did we do (and what do we do)?  When we come upon stop signs at 5:30 a.m., we slow down a bit but blow through them.  Signals, go through if no traffic.  During the day?  We slow down some more, and check behind for cops, then roll through. 

It's funny though, if there is a cop, we all yell "stopping" to eachotehr so we all know.  And the cop does as well.    Frankly, it's not hard to come to a complete stop and then start again while clipped in.  Don't even need to know how to do a track stand (for stop signs).

And heck, I know the law.  If I get a ticket for rolling a stop sign I'll and moan, but I certainly wouldn't give the cop any attitude, I'd pay the darn thing

x2

i have been reading this entire thread and thinking the same thing, better yet take it off rode (with mountain bike), see if the police are willing to go 4x4ing.... to give you a ticket...
2007-09-13 4:45 PM
in reply to: #963958

User image

I blow through stop signs on a bike at full speed all the time if I can see far enough in all directions, and it is safe to go through. I will roll slowly through in a car under the same conditions. I have gone through red lights under the right conditions. I understand these things are illegal, and understand police have a job to do. I believe I am following logic instead of the law.
2007-09-13 4:52 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Laws were designed to serve people... not people designed to serve the laws.

If laws dont make sense in certain circumstances, they shouldnt be applied.

I think we all know a girl who has gotten out of a speeding ticket merely because she started crying. Giving tickets is discretionary....even if a low is broken , the officer is not REQUIRED to ticket you.

SO yes... I DO expect to be treated differently on my bike than in my car. Im not endangering the lives of anyone but myself when I do a rolling stop.

Again... Laws were designed to serve people... not people designed to serve the laws.
2007-09-13 5:57 PM
in reply to: #963256

Champion
crowny2 - 2007-09-13 11:40 AM

I will also say that the law is the law.  I haven't gotten one yet, and if I do, I'll deal with it.  Actually, that will be interesting since in IL they take away your license if it is a moving violation in an automobile.  What will they take from me on my bike, my USAT card?

Actually, you do want to consider this situation.  In many states if you get written up for a violation on your bike and present your automobile drivers license as identification, the offense will often go on your driving record and could affect your risk as far as insurance rates.  Much better to offer some other form of identification in case you get stopped.

"Yes officer, my name is Joe Smith...here is my library card."

2007-09-13 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
I frequently ride loops around a lake on the east side of Dallas. There is a nice road all the way around, but there are road blocks up periodically to allow bikes and runners, but don't allow cars. Cars can get down from the main roads to the lake in small stretches, but are then funneled back out to main roads. So cars are out numbered by bikes and runners by a very large margin and (most) motorists are very respectful of cyclists. All-in-all, it's cyclist heaven. Because of all this, I used to think that cops were cool with cyclist blowing through the few stop signs that are there. I found out from another cyclist a couple of weeks ago that cops were handing out tickets for this.

I went out to ride yesterday evening and stopped in the local 7-11 to get a drink to take on the bike. There were two cops bikes parked outside. So I went and found them (standing right by the donuts, no kidding) and asked them about this. They told me they had given away at least 100 ticket for stop sign running to cyclists. They did, however, tell me I did NOT have to unclip or put a foot down. All they require is a good serious slow down and a look both ways. Of course it is up to each individual cop as to what he thinks is a good slow down. But, really these guys are targeting folks who blow through them with out even touching the brakes.

Fair enough. I'll agree to slow way down and look both ways in a manner that is obvious enough for cops to see.

2007-09-13 7:38 PM
in reply to: #964195

User image

Champion
Butler
 Fair enough. I'll agree to slow way down and look both ways in a manner that is obvious enough for cops to see.
  I definately agree and I do make an attempt to slow down just in case.  I am not going to blow though lights like crazy even in a car that is just ridculous under any circumstance.  I have gotten in arguements with my wife who wants me to run light because they don't change for 5 minutes and I refuse.  On a bike at least make an attempt.  I at least hit the brakes somewhat.
2007-09-13 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
I use the same method as the police officer told me was acceptable on my motorcycle. All you need is to have the weight shift off of the front tire and then you can take off. (that is if nothing is coming). I'll stay clipped in stop enough to feel the weight of slowing down come off of my arms and then take off again. Does this make sense? It made more sense in my head. All I do is a slight pause. If I can see that the road is clear.
2007-09-13 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

Yes..this has happened to ME...

I don't know how to put the post link in this message, but if you search my name, you'll find my post a few months back about it.  I am currently waiting for my traffic lawyer to take care of it.   The cops in my town don't ticket ( I asked after it happened ot me, and the cop said they would be laughed at by their peers and the court)  But ths tiny town that it hapepend in,does it every week (actually I just found out that the cop no longer sits at the intersection since he was giving away too many tickets and  got in trouble with the courts for tying up the courts for this minimal infraction of the law) My group I ride with obeys all the traffic signals, however, when we ride, there will be many bikers that fly right by us at the red light...kills me. I have also heard of groups getting speeding tickets on A1A 

Yes, I do understand the law, yes, I agree that people should be resposible for breaking the law, but it doesn't mean that I can't find it ridiculous or a waste of my taxpayer $ for having a cop just sit there waiting to stop a biker when there are many other problems that can be focused on. 

And lastly...about the license part...we are not required to have a license to ride a bike...so being asked to prooduce a drivers license when being pulled over IMO is a form of intimidation....what if the person was 13....do they get off sicne they are not required to even know the driving laws of a motor vehicle?  how would they even know to stop anywhere when htey have not even taken a drivers course...you don't get a motor vehicle manual when you buy a bike...

<end rant> 

-Jamie 

2007-09-13 9:24 PM
in reply to: #964280

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
piperfl - 2007-09-13 9:42 PM
And lastly...about the license part...we are not required to have a license to ride a bike...so being asked to prooduce a drivers license when being pulled over IMO is a form of intimidation....

in the state of Florida (and I'm sure others states as well) the police ask for your drivers license because it is the fastest way to obtain a positive I.D. It doesn't matter if it's 3pm or 3am, your name goes through FCIC and NCIC (for warrants) & their database to advise of any past infractions or issues. To you, it may seem like intimidation but more often than not they just want to know who they are dealing with.
2007-09-13 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

If you check out my logs a few days before the Labor Day weekend, you'll see my lovely story about being ticketed at White Rock Lake in East Dallas for rolling through a stop sign.  I was absolutely ready to pay the fine, I offered no argument upon being pulled over, and the cop is a local police officer who tickets just as many motorists for reckless behavior around cyclists as he does cyclists for traffic violations, so I had no problem being stopped. 

However, if you get a ticket in Dallas (or wherever), be prepared for hell.  First, the fine for running a stop sign on a bicycle (even in a park or other area where there is a clear expectation of recreational traffic) is $215 in Dallas.  That is almost 3x the amount of the fine for running a red light in a car and being caught by the cameras.  Not to mention that the fine schedule and fine payment setup in Dallas is nothing short of insane.  If it weren't more expensive to get a lawyer than to pay the ticket, I'd fight it based on sheer principle.  Just be forewarned that if you get a ticket, you need to figure out how much to pay and how to pay ASAP.  It sounds easy, but trust me, document all attempts to contact the city and all internet attempts.  It may take up to 14 days of your allotted 21 to even get your ticket "entered into the system" in order to figure out how much you owe!  It's not a trivial matter, and it can result in a warrant out for your arrest, so trust me, I'm stopping at stop signs from now on.  It's not worth dealing with, even if you intend to be honest and pay up.  It's worthwhile to simply obey the law, however annoying it may be to stop.

2007-09-13 11:49 PM
in reply to: #963710

Regular
As a police officer and a triathlete I would say obey all traffic signals and ride as safe as possible. I have been a cop for 8 years and recieved training from IPMBA; International Police Mountain Bike . This training shows what happens to people who don't obey bike laws. Enforcing these laws is more for your safety than anything else. I have seen people on bikes hurt really bad in car versus bike accidents. Unfortunitly after all is said and done I usually have to go the the hospital and issue the person on the bike a ticket who caused the wreck. Don't get me wrong I can't stand the idiots who don't share the road like all of us do. The real fact is bike traffic laws are to protect us. Just play it safe and stop. I know it sucks to clip out of pedals but we all have too,except on race day when cops are there to block traffic.

If you see a cop running radar parked somewhere go up and talk to him and have him lock you in on his radar to see how fast you are going to check to make sure your bike computer is on the money.

I think a speeding ticket on a bike would be great bragging rights also!
2007-09-14 12:09 AM
in reply to: #964427

Champion

AdamA - 2007-09-14 12:49 AM If you see a cop running radar parked somewhere go up and talk to him and have him lock you in on his radar to see how fast you are going to check to make sure your bike computer is on the money. I think a speeding ticket on a bike would be great bragging rights also!

Oh, I've broken the speed limit on my bike countless times.  You don't happen to live near me, do you??? 

2007-09-14 12:17 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I got busted in Boulder during a blizzard 15 years ago (dang, has it been that long?) for rolling 2 stop signs.  I fought it in court and had to go to bike safety school where the other offenders (mostly kids from CU) and I watched a bike safety video. 

Flash forward to the present.  I worked for the Texas Bicycle Coalition 10 years ago and am now a municipal court prosecutor for many smallish cities in the Fort Worth area.  While I haven't had to prosecute a cyclist for a moving violation, I'm sure that day will come.   Bicycles are vehicles in Texas.  Use your own best judgment when riding (the Bear has some good comments on p.1) but be prepared to pay the consequences if you blow a stop sign and the cop who sees you decides to write you a citation.  But, fight it like any other moving violation - hire a traffic lawyer or go to court yourself.  Seek deferred adjudication (probation) from the prosecutor to keep it off your record.  It's a moving violation.

Because we're unique (pedal power) we're more noticeable, so be a good ambassador to the sport of cycling (commuters, recreational, all y'all).  My own personal peeve?  The big groups who don't slow down, ride 3-4 abreast and block the nice country roads they ride on.  It's no wonder little old ladies want to throw a rock at you - not to mention Bubba and his beer cans.  Share the Road goes both ways.  I hear more complaints from non- cycling friends about the groups hogging the road.  It truly gives all of us a bad image and is effing arrogant.  Your actions do have a ripple effect on the greater community.  I doubt anyone would begrudge a cyclist or 3 if they slowed down and carefully rolled through a stop sign, or treated a stop light like a true stopping situation but continued on before it turned green (perhaps not even the county sheriff's deputies).  It's generally what I do.  But to simply disregard it as being inconvenient, or worse...well, if you read this far you already know what I think about that.

So, share the road and ride responsibly because we want to give bikes the right (and keep those rights) on our public roads.

2007-09-14 6:20 AM
in reply to: #964433

Champion
dblack1801 - 2007-09-14 1:17 AM

I worked for the Texas Bicycle Coalition 10 years ago and am now a municipal court prosecutor for many smallish cities in the Fort Worth area. 

And you're also a crossdresser?  Cool, glad to see another gurl on BT! 

(Sorry for the OT blurb...back to the original subject)

Edited by max 2007-09-14 6:22 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traffic ticket while riding bike??? Rss Feed  

of 4