General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "assist" for open water swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-28 4:53 PM

Subject: "assist" for open water swim
I'm not sure "assist" is the correct word, but here is my question. Last year when my interest in triathlons was just beginning, I swam twice in a nearby lake with friends. I saw someone swimming alone and pulling what (from my distance) like perhaps and innertube behind him.

I thought that was a great idea for safety when doing open water swims either alone or even with ohters. If I am with someone sitting on the beach or dock watching me, I am not sure what they could do to help me if I got tired. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about such a device? Any ideas?

Thanks, Nancy

2004-01-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: #5288

Regular
Colorado
Subject: RE: "assist" for open water swim
You are lucky if you have access to a lake for regular open water swims! While I haven't specifically heard of the innertube method of water safety, that makes sense if you are swimming alone. Give it a try and let us know!
2004-01-29 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Subject: try this:
try to contact: http://www.trisports.com/

They may have something. I would be interestd to know too.
2004-01-30 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Is it possible to swim around the edge of the lake? When the ocean gets warmer, I will swim along the beach. Our local tris have the same type swim. Maybe you could get one of those vests that self inflate. If there are any waves at all, I would think a trailing ineer tube could throw your swim off.
2004-01-30 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Nancy,

If you've ever been to the beach, you've probably seen the lifeguards using a rescue buoy or can when making a save, practicing drills etc... When I was a guard, we were required to wear this anytime we would swim open water (just to get used to using it during a swim). It's made specifically for this purpose and isn't nearly as cumbersome as an innertube. Anyway, check out this link as they have a bunch of the 'official' cans for sale.

Brian Shea
www.PersonalBestNutrition.com

2004-01-30 9:16 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
in the past what I've done is put one of the kids or hubby in a kayak and make them come with me when I was swimming across a pond. I don't know how helpful that is for you, but all you need is a victim and a kayak.

2004-01-30 10:21 AM

Thanks for all your responses. Brian -- I checked out your link for rescue buoys and this may be the answer as I had wondered how to or what to use as a strap that would not hinder the kick. There are two choices -- the rescue tube and the rescue buoy. In your experience, is one better than the other.

I may have a lake available for open water swimming, but the months for swimming are a bit limited -- it is VERY cold! I will have to check out closer about the swimming around the shore idea. I have a kayak, but finding someone willing to be my rescue at the time I need one is a bit of a challenge.

Great ideas here -- I will let everyone know what I find to be helpful.

Nancy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "assist" for open water swim Rss Feed