General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie: off-season volume building starting point Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-25 12:04 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Newbie: off-season volume building starting point
I did my first triathlon (Sprint distance) a couple of weeks ago and I recently read the Mark Allen off-season article that talked about base building (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8877&posts=6). In the article, Mark seemed to follow the same general volume building rules that are posted in the training plans on this site: increasing by 10% per week, back off for week 4, etc. When I stay below the heart rate that Mark suggests, I can go much longer than I could when I push myself to the limits. So what should I pick as my starting distances/times? For example, prior to the triathlon, I was swimming a maximum of 1000 meters (the race was 800m). Tonight I swam 1100m (10% increase) but because I was keeping my heart rate low, when I was done, I felt like I could probably do the entire distance again. Should I start with a longer distance or should I build up from where I am?

2004-10-25 12:15 AM
in reply to: #75790

Regular
Subject: RE: Newbie: off-season volume building starting point
I would honestly start volume building from where you are being mindful of the events you are going to race in ....if you are doing sprint triathlons exclusively you can start to trade some volume for intensity as you are way ahead right now.......as for the heart rate, Mark Allen's article is a good one if you respond to aerobic training the same as he does. I'd honestly test yourself as my ideal HR is between 147-153, everyone is different.

Kevin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie: off-season volume building starting point Rss Feed