General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cold numb hands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-17 3:19 PM

Subject: cold numb hands
I am worried about my hands going numb when I get on the bike after swimming. I have Raynaud's syndrome and the arterioles in my fingers spasm and do not allow blood to enter my fingers and they go numb. It happens esp. after exercise and when I get cold. The couple of times I transitioned from swimming to bike it happened and my fingers went numb and I could not feel the handle bars well and it is uncomfortable. Can I wear gloves with hand warmers in them both swimming and biking? Also worried about getting out of and into clothes with numb fingers that don't work well.

2007-09-21 10:59 PM
in reply to: #968110

User image

Master
Subject: RE: cold numb hands
I also have Raynaud's syndrome. I'm new to tri's but have had problems with numbness and cycling. Once I get cold it is really difficult to stop the numbness from spreading quickly.
Do they make a glove to swim with that you could use? I can't imagine what swimming with a hand warmer would feel like. Maybe you could try it in transition and on the bike?
I keep gloves with me all of the time. My kids tease me and call me Michael Jackson when I wear them in summer.
Hopefully someone else will have some advice for you.
2007-10-20 2:14 AM
in reply to: #968110

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: cold numb hands
I have Raynaud's Phenomenon and, fortunately, it has not been a problem for me with transitioning.  You can check rules on the gloves for the swim and specifics on the bike and if it looks to be questionable, talk with the Race Director and explain the situation. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cold numb hands Rss Feed