General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Q's and pedal Q's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-25 11:33 AM

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
Subject: Bike Q's and pedal Q's

I'm going to get a bike.  I will train on it, and race it.  But I can't decide what I should get.  I figure that since I am just starting out I should get a road bike.  But everytime I search on the web I always end up looking at Tri bikes!  Cannondale R1000 looks good.  Trek 2300 looks nice.  But damn those Tri-bikes look good too!  Thoughts?

Ok, on to pedals.  I've only riden Mountain bikes, so my clipless pedal experience is limited to what works good for off-road.  Whats a good on-road set up?  Especially to compete in?

2004-10-25 2:21 PM
in reply to: #75870

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Bike Q's and pedal Q's

"I may not be the biggest idiot in the world... but I sure hope he doesn't die."

first off, I love your quote,  i hope you and the other guy don't die cause I must be next in line.  Secondly, I just purchased some speedplay zeros.  they have 15 degrees of float, which for me, a beginner, is cool.  I'm not sure I would like to be completely locked into one spot, which, by the way, you can also do with these.  They were also recommended to me by a guy who rides 'semi' pro.  As for the bike, I just ordered a tri bike, i test rode numerous bikes and liked the tri's better.  Good luck.

Trix 

2004-10-25 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
Difficult decision about the bike CrashMan. If you think you will stay with triathlon then I'd get a tri bike. You can always sell it later if you decide to stop participating in tri's. Road bike might be more comfortable for some people but I enjoy the tri bike more.

As for pedals, I also have Speedplays and love them. It's nice having the ability to lock in on either side of the pedal unlike other types. The Speedplays are light and very reliable plus the float is easier on your knees. I've never had a problem with my Speedplays.
2004-10-25 4:09 PM

Walnut Creek, CA
I also have speedplay pedals and absolutely love them. They are easy to clip into and out of (I've had them for four months and before that never used clip in pedals and haven't fallen once...yet) and the double-sided entry rocks. Good luck choosing a bike!
2004-10-25 4:27 PM

User image

Dernit, been looking at clipless pedals as well, and waiting for someone to bash the Speedplays, haven't heard it yet.

Are the entry level models any good? Not sure what the models are, haven't seen zeros, have to go look for that.

Followup question - anyone have a problem buying speedplays (or other pedals) from trisports online and having the LBS install them? In the scuba world, local dive shops can react negatively to working on equipment bought elsewhere (especially online, if you tell them)

Chris
2004-10-25 4:40 PM
in reply to: #75979

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Pedals are easy to install; my 12-year-old changes mine out in about five minutes. Installing the cleats on the shoe are a little trickier. I have Look pedals, mine didn't take long to install but took a couple of tries to get them in the right position. I'm not sure how difficult the Speedplay cleats are to install.

If you think you need professional help, you may want to ask your LBS about their installation policy. They may charge you for this, and the charge may offset any savings you may realize by purchasing online. It may be in your best interest to buy from the LBS so that you may milk the goodwill.

2004-10-25 4:45 PM

User image

Not to hijack Crash's thread, but good points and thanks.... Ebay prices look pretty good too. I'll have to compare

Couple additional newbie questions - are clipless pedals "modular" systems? By that I mean if you buy pedals without cleats, can you buy cleats separately to fit a particular pedal and install them on any shoe? Or are some shoes limited to certain kinds of cleats? When you buy new pedals do the appropriate cleats usually come with them?

Cycling in tennis shoes with cages and no straps (shoes get stuck in straps) is a bummer.

Chris
2004-10-25 5:38 PM
in reply to: #75986

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

if you buy pedals without cleats, can you buy cleats separately to fit a particular pedal and install them on any shoe? Or are some shoes limited to certain kinds of cleats?

Some shoes are limited, they will usually tell you what pedal systems are compatible. For instance, I have yet to see a mountain bike shoe compatible with Look pedals.Some shoes (my Sidis, for instance) have different adapter plates for different types of pedals.

When you buy new pedals do the appropriate cleats usually come with them?

Yes

Cycling in tennis shoes with cages and no straps (shoes get stuck in straps) is a bummer.

You will not believe the difference cycling shoes/clipless pedals will make.

Edited by the bear 2004-10-25 5:38 PM
2004-10-25 6:49 PM

User image

Thanks - I used to ride a bit, late 80s, had clipped shoes, ugly old leather things. Ironically about a year ago, I looked at them (thery were pretty trashed) and threw them out, "I'm never gonna use these again" grrrrrrrrrrr I'd need new ones anyway, but at least in the interim......

Thankfully, I kept my old avocet computer and some other stuff.

Chris
2004-10-25 7:51 PM

, Alabama

As far as bikes go, I have a Cannondale R1000 that I've been happy with for tri's for the past few years.  I just got my first real tri bike a few months ago (Quintana Roo Tequilo and loving it) and still use the Cannondale for group rides or early morning (before sunup) rides. 

I use Look pedals that have a 9 degree float.  I've heard great things about Speedplay, but I've used Looks for too long and it will take me forever to change.

Sharon

2004-10-26 3:57 AM

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA

As far as bikes go, I have a Cannondale R1000 that I've been happy with for tri's for the past few years.  I just got my first real tri bike a few months ago (Quintana Roo Tequilo and loving it) and still use the Cannondale for group rides or early morning (before sunup) rides. 

Could you not use the Tri bike for regular riding at all?  RIght now I don't do group rides, or anyting like that.  But I may get into that.  All I forsee at the moment is that it will be me, alone and unafraid, on the wilds of the asphault.

2004-10-26 5:13 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Here is the dilemma, you want the best of both worlds but are looking exclusively at tri bikes.

A road bike is the most versatile.  For triathlons, you can throw a set of clip on aero bars and you're set.  For your group rides, remove the aero bars, cop an attitude, and you're ready to go.

A dedicated tri bike puts you in the most efficient position for triathlon competitions.  Its a combination of the aerodynamics and pedaling mechanics, due in large part to the frame geometry, that reduces your effort in order to save energy for the run.  But, roadies who participate in group rides usually don't take to well to someone on their wheel with a tri setup, so you may not be welcome with open arms if you wish to join in.  You can also shun the roadies and organize your own tri bike rides with fellow aero bar lovin' compadres.

So, if you can affort 2 bikes, get both.  If its down to one, then you need to decide between investing in a dedicated tri bike or something more versatile.  Once you make this decision, then the work really begins.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Q's and pedal Q's Rss Feed