General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building cycling base using Turbo trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-18 5:27 AM

Subject: Building cycling base using Turbo trainer
Hi guys,
I am planning to do a half-ironman next April & as I have only completed sprint triathlons up till now I reckon I will need to spend a lot more time on the bike over the next couple of months . Problem is with the days getting shorter & with 2 young kids my best chance of getting in some bike training will be on the turbo trainer. So can you train successfully for a half-ironman just using a trainer ? What kind of sessions on the trainer would you recommend ? I am pretty much starting from scratch as my wife had a baby during the summer which put a big dent in my training . So any advice greatly appreciated

2007-09-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: #968780

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Building cycling base using Turbo trainer

Riding on the road is always preferable but a trainer is invaluable for training when inclement weather sets in.  It is not as enjoyable but you can work on your cadence, which is a bonus.  If you can, get a few spinerval DVD's that would be a good start.  I found Chris Carmichael's TT DVD to be an excellent exercise.  Also get an odometer that features a cadence readout.  I had 3 different workouts printed up but can only find the TT workout.  If you would care to look at it, let me know and I will forward you a copy.

There is also a good article on this site on winter training: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=392

Edited by Machiavelo 2007-09-18 9:17 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building cycling base using Turbo trainer Rss Feed