General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-20 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: wetsuit help
I am needing a wetsuit and am looking for some help. I am thinking that I should just get a full one and not a shorty for the floation but i am wondering if it may be too warm. I dont have the cash now to lay out the money for a full and a shorty at this time. I have a couple of events planned over the next year and all seem to have the OK on wetsuits. Is 70 degree water too warm for a full suit?

Any links to sites with reasonable pricing on suits? I cant spend 350 on a suit now. I would rather be in the 190 - 250 range. 250 being the top that i can fork out.

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

2007-09-20 7:22 PM
in reply to: #972355

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: wetsuit help
I don't think it's ever too warm for a full suit - with caution.

UAST rules don't allow a wetsuit for water over 78 or 80 degrees (I forget the exact number). So you won't even be allowed to use one in conditions that could really cause a problem.

Water will flow through a wetsuit a little, that is why it's called a "wet" suit and that will keep you cool while swimming.

The most dangerous time to overheat is walking around before the race all zipped up in the suit. Just wait till the last couple minutes to get all zipped up.

As for cheap wetsuits, I have a 2XU sleeveless that I got for about $200. I also just bought a full sleeve ProMotion suit advertised on this site (you get a BT discount too). I really like it, it is supper fast, comfortable, they have a wide variety of sizes, and it was only about $220

Go with the full sleeve suit for sure.
2007-09-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: #972355

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: wetsuit help
I bought mine (a full) at a local shop on closeout. It was probably $200 or so at FRP, and I paid around $160. I've noticed that a few of the tri websites are starting to mark their suits down as the tri season is starting to wind down, so you can probably get deals now. I bought mine in, I think, January, when they were desperate to unload it and got lucky wth the size.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit help Rss Feed