General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pro Bike Fit at Trek Store Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-22 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Subject: Pro Bike Fit at Trek Store
Has anybody had any experience with Steve (fit tech) at Trek store on Shawnee Mission Parkway. I have it scheduled for Friday. Just looking for some feedback. He does not come up when F.I.S.T. search is conducted trough slowtwitch.
Thanks

2007-09-23 9:30 PM
in reply to: #975515

Ottawa, KS
Subject: RE: Pro Bike Fit at Trek Store
I don't know anything about Steve at the Trek store but this might be a helpful read if you haven already read it: http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/hallmarks.html

Please post here what you think of his fitting if you go though with it. I would like to be fitted also.
2007-09-23 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Thanks for the link. That was the first read I did when I purchased this bike. Slowtwitch has some of the most extensive articles on fitting. That is where my concern starts. Just wondering what is Steve's resume like. They are all (Trek store) very nice people, some race too, however no idea how much experience with actual tri bike fitting. The way I bought the bike was little rushed (by me primarily), but they certainly did not go out their way to ensure I picked the correct bike. I know next to nothing about bikes and fitting. It was a 54cm '07 Equinox 9 that was a demo bike, ridden twice, retails normaly for around $2400, I got it for $1575. I am 5'9". All they did measure my inseam and that was it. I have a month and a half on it now and have that fit scheduled. I have been riding it about 40-60 miles a week. I thought I go out first and ride a little, see what is it like, what kind of issues come up and than come back for a $175 fit. At least I noted some isuues to work with. Also keep in mind that I have never had a road bike before.
Sorry for this long post. Fit is on Friday. I will post the feedback.
2007-10-23 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
As promissed here is a follow up on fitting with Steve at Trek store of Kansas City. It has been several weeks since I have completed it and have ridden some time in order to summirize the impression.
Steve is very nice, extremely knowledgable and professional. It started with about a 20 min interview on my background, skill level, objectives....He took basic measurements and documented them. The only real complaint I had was on occasional numbness in the sensitive area during rides on stock Bontrager saddle.
After the warm up, it started with cleat adjustment, saddle height, fore/aft, tilt up/down adjustment, cockpit length and elbow pads last. Saddle adjustment made the most difference instantly noticeable. He ended up turning my seat post around (E9 has a dual position seat post) which reduced the cockpit length to my size.
Steve is Serotta certified and from the little literature I read about fitting, he followed it as in the book. Very methodical.
Ride impressions after the fit.
It was a radical change from what I had when I took the bike from the store in August, however as I am totaly new at this, it did not bother much. I did get slower at first as I noticed that different muscle recruiting pattern was taking place. I belive, not sure 100% that my hamstrings are now less utilized, but I sure feel quads and glutes more. That is subjective. Here is what times, speeds and hr is saying. I am back on avarage speed over 25-30 mile course at just over 21mph, however hr is avg 144, compared to 125-130 for the same speed just prior to the fit. I do feel more powerfull pedal stroke, but higher hr indicates that I am working much harder. Subjectively, it does not feel that much harder. I would anticipate if the fit was done correctly and I continue to do the work that hr will drop. Cadence data- all I have is the last two rides as I just installed garmin sensor, avarages out at 83-85 rpm for 30 miles over the courses here in Southern JoCo, all gentle rolling hills. No prior data available.
Saddle got replaced. Steve hooked me up with a customer who was selling his Fizik Arione Tri saddle for $25 and I replaced it. I love the saddle as I get 0 soreness during or after the ride. I still get just a little numb briefly, maybe twice during 30 miles but as I stand up it goes away. I anticipate that with little more riding and a better quality shorts, that will be solved too.
I know it has been long. I apologize. I highly recommend Steve and the Trek store. It was money well spent.
2007-10-25 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS
Thanks for the posts!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pro Bike Fit at Trek Store Rss Feed