General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary Bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-26 10:21 PM

User image

Subject: Stationary Bike question
ok so I am using a lifecycle right now for my bike training, towards my first triathlon. It is what is available to me until the spring and I am ok with that. I am doing about an hour in zone 1, adjusting the level to keep me under 145 bpm. The bike reports that I am going 21.6 mph, which would be great, but a little unrealistic. Is there an adjustment that can be made for the lack of wind resistance, balancing, etc. to get to a realistic mph? Or should I just be happy building my base, knowing that I am getting the conditioning that I need?

2004-10-26 11:37 PM
in reply to: #76408

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Stationary Bike question

Just be happy building your base!

There's nothing wrong with training on the lifecycle, it's 100% better than not training on a cycle at all. I've had to ride plenty of those when I was training last season, due to logistics. There's a bunch of lifecycle models out there, and I don't believe there are any adjustments that you can make for what you're asking, don't worry about it.

The only limiting factor you should concern yourself with is your HR, and looks like you got that under control. It doesn't really matter if you are going 17 mph or 21 and change for now.

You seem to be doing everything right without even owning a bike

2004-10-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: #76408

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Stationary Bike question
Type A is right. The precor's that I'm training on register a miserable 13 mph when I'm running a cadence of 90-95 rpm. Forget the distance on these things - they can't take into account terrain, wind resistance, gear changes, etc. Stick with the HRM and get out on a real bike if weather, daylight, or equipment permits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary Bike question Rss Feed