General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What supplements do you take? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-27 3:20 PM

User image

Subject: What supplements do you take?
Since there are alot of sport supplments and drinks, what do you guys/gals take? I have read that the combination of Accelrtade and Endurox are a great combo. I have tried gels but just got stomach cramps.

My questions are which supplements are used in the following:
1. Training
2. Sport Nutrition/diet
3. Race day

Thanks all.

2004-10-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #76597

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: What supplements do you take?
I use accelerade doing a workout but haven't tried the endurox.

I take a daily vitamin.

That's about it.
2004-10-27 3:42 PM

Chicago, IL
I do take daily vitamins (GNC Mega Man)
lots of coffee or other caffainated drinks...
During long runs ort rides Ecaps electrolyte replacement pills.
Gels
And Endurox or Powerbar Recovery drink after.
2004-10-27 5:35 PM

User image

So Endurox is the popular brand for post workout. Thanks for all your posts.
2004-10-27 5:35 PM

User image

Northeast PA
I am using creatine and protein powder during this off season while building muscle and strength. I plan to drop the creatine during the season but continue with the protein as a post workout drink.

I also drink two meal replacement drinks during the day in addition to another 4 small meals spread out at ~ 2-3 hour intervals. I'm one of those people who has to work somewhat not to lose weight!

Cytomax plus gels during long endurance workouts.

Pre race is usually a meal replacement drink a couple of hours before then a sports drink about an hour before. 50/50 water/sports drink durin bike, gel during run.

2004-10-27 5:47 PM
in reply to: #76644

Chicago, IL
It depends on your workout. I use it after hard workouts, after anything less than 1 hour I use powerbar recovery drink.
Endurox is really powerful

2004-10-27 6:14 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
During my long workouts I eat a Cliff bar one hour before the workout. On the bike I take CarboPro and water, (about 1600 calories/ bottle) along with another bottle of either Accellerade, Gatorade or Cytomax, plus a third bottle of just water. I have been avoiding gels and sticking with liquids except for fruit on the bike.
On the run I again use a solution of CarboPro and water and just water. I also take Thermolytes on both the bike and run.

My sports Diet is non-existent. I eat what I can, when I can.

On Race day I eat a bagel in the morning and a Cliff bar one hour before. Then depending on the race I might take Accellerade and/ or water on the bike and water on the run (sprint).
Hope that helps
Tom
2004-10-27 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
1. For training, I occassionaly use energy bars (Vector brand) and use small amounts of either Hammergel or my homemade stuff. The gels and bars are mainly used on the bike (runs aren't long enough yet) except for my early morning run when I have about 1/3 of a gel shot before running. I've found I can't run on an empty stomach, nor can I run after eating solid food so the gel does the trick.

2. General nutrion for supplements I am taking vitamins B, C, E, glucosamine sulphate and halibut liver oil.

3. Haven't raced yet, however for the coming season the only race that would require in race nutrion/supplementation would be the Olympic next Sep.
2004-10-27 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Preworkout: Water and Gatorade, maybe an energy bar (Clif bar normally) 2 hours before if exercise time would normally be at a time when I'm getting hungry
During workout: Gatorade
Postworkout: Endurox

Daily suppliment of multivitamin, and glucosamine/chondritin (sp?). I've got bad knees thus the GC

Diet - Not a whole lot of changes - I just cut out the soda and replaced with water. Lots of water throughout the day.

Haven't raced yet, but planning on a pasta related dinner the night before with low fats (red sauce instead of alfredo). Day of race - not sure yet. I'll probably be too nervous to eat a whole lot of solid foods, so I'm thinking probably toast with some honey on it and some liquids.

Edited by jkbostic 2004-10-27 9:52 PM
2004-10-28 2:38 AM

Fresno,Ca
My goals are probably a little different than yours. I lift weights 5 days a week run 3 and bike 2 with sat and sun off. I am trying to keep/build muscle while leaning out a bit. I take MRI's no2. Its pretty expensive but to me well worth it. You can get it online at about 60 bucks for a 20 day supply. It makes recovery after workouts almost immediate. Like nothing else. It does help with strength and building mass but thats probably due to my training routine. Im sure it would really help with recovery after long runs as well without adding size if your training is geared that way.
2004-10-28 12:32 PM

User image

Do you have the website for MRI? Thanks guys I am printing the responses and taking notes. Appreciate it.

2004-10-28 3:46 PM

Fresno,Ca
Just do a google search for MRI NO2...Youll get lots of hits. Look through them till you find the best deal...Beware tho NOX2 and Nitrix will also show up...these are supposedly the same product and are much cheaper but I have tried them and got no results. This site has a good deal right now.
http://www.netnutri.com/
2004-10-28 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

GNC Mega Men
Gatorade (Powder)
Endurox
GNC's Mega MRP Protein Shake
GNC Triflex
Hammer Endurolytes
Power Gel
Cliff Bars
Wate

Wow that's a lot of crap...

2004-10-28 8:12 PM
in reply to: #76645

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
jimtri - 2004-10-27 2:35 PM

I am using creatine and protein powder during this off season while building muscle and strength. I plan to drop the creatine during the season but continue with the protein as a post workout drink.

Have you gained weight (5-7 lbs.) quickly by taking creatine? The loading phase when you first start taking creatine makes you retain a lot of water and causes the 5lbs. weight gain.

I use Accelerade during long workouts but I only use about 50-70% of the recommended amount of powder for 16oz of water. I take Endurox R4 after difficult workouts but only use about 50%.

For added protein during the day, I eat a Promax bar which has about 20grams of protein, 300 calories, 6g of fat, and 38g of carbs but I bet these numbers change slightly depending on which flavor bar you eat. I really like the Cookies 'n Cream flavor and the Nutty Bar (can't recall the real name but it's chocolate and PB)!
2004-10-28 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
first thing after waking up, coffe and a power bar(chocolate flavor), and daily intake of the vitamin ,Spirilina (protien).

during workout I drink pure water (I am a bottled water freak).
With lunch, I take a daily vitamin which is actually prenatal vitamins. No, I~m not pregnant, but the amount of vitamins in prenatals are really good for a daily intake, especially because they contain extra iron, B12 and folic acid.
After workouts I drink a protien shake(Specialized Protien for Dieting, 'Universal Nutition') with soy milk and a banana.
water, rest of the day.

I am yet to try the gels, I`ve been to chicken, don`t they contain lots of caffine?
2004-10-29 7:51 AM
in reply to: #77041

User image

Northeast PA
TonyWhit - 2004-10-28 8:12 PM

jimtri - 2004-10-27 2:35 PM

Have you gained weight (5-7 lbs.) quickly by taking creatine? The loading phase when you first start taking creatine makes you retain a lot of water and causes the 5lbs. weight gain.

I gain about 5 lbs. during the loading but loose it within the first week afterwards.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What supplements do you take? Rss Feed