General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike vs Car : Cars still undefeated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-25 5:03 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: Bike vs Car : Cars still undefeated

I figured that sadly, this would be a good place to ask folks about the procedure for follow up after a bike vs car collision. 

Saturday, I went out for a bike ride.  I was cruising down a busy stretch on my way to a nice scenic stretch of beautiful road that I rode earlier this summer and really enjoyed. Unfortunately, to get there, I have to go past a highway off ramp, and the busy road leading to the airport. After stopping for a light, I rode under the highway and past the off ramp.  I looked to my right as there was traffic getting off the highway. I thought I made eye contact with the driver of a car getting off the highway - checked to my left to assess the traffic on my left - checked back to my right only to see the fender of the car slamming into my bike.  That's all I remember for a bit as I am told I was out cold for a few minutes. Eyewitness said I flew 4 or 5 feet through the air and landed on my head.  A nurse named Heather (?) was one of the witnesses and she talked to me as I regained consciousness. She was great, and helped me maintain my calm.  She got my phone off my bike, and per my instructions, dialed speed dial #2 (#1 is voicemail :-) )for my wife, as someone else had already dialed 911.   I was not far from home, and DW was there as soon as the ambulance. I tried getting up, as my first instinct is to get up and walk away, and not be the center of all this unwanted attention.  However,  I couldn't really move very well.  When the nurse saw me struggling to move, she insisted I stay down and wait for the EMT's to evaluate me further. I did, and they strapped me to a board as a precaution, and carted me to the hospital.  A Good Samaritan offered to bring my warped bike back to my house. DW had left the garage door open in her rush, and they were kind enough to leave my bike in the garage, and then close the garage door behind them! Very thoughtful! DW actually beat the ambulance to the hospital, and we went through all the testing and precautions. Everything checked out OK, and we were back home in a couple of hours.
I'm very grateful to the kind people who stopped and talked to me, and helped with traffic etc until the police arrived.  There were some really, really kind folks that help me get through those first few minutes. As I write this Tuesday morning, my head is still unhappy.  I am still experiencing dizzy spells, have a moderate headache, and have a touch of nausea on occasion. My neck is still not really functioning as I need to pick up my head with my hand to lower it onto the pillow, or back in a chair. I found that my baseball cap bill works very well for this function!  My body is a little sore still, and the road rash is a bother, but otherwise is fine.  I just want my head and neck to get back to normal soon.  I owe my helmet a huge thank you, as it saved me a great deal of pain and damage, or worse.  I can’t imagine the damage there would have been to my skull after seeing my dented, cracked helmet.   And no, my bike is not OK. It is also toast as the rear wheel and frame are both bent.

As of this morning, I don't even know who hit me, although I've been told the police got a full report with eyewitnesses and everything.  I've been told to get a copy of the police report, and pursue the drivers' insurance company for hospital bills, my bike and helmet etc.. Has anyone been though this, or have suggestions for the best procedure? Thanks!

Edited by immyfish 2007-09-25 5:07 AM

2007-09-25 5:56 AM
in reply to: #977757

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Subject: RE: Bike vs Car : Cars still undefeated

Immy,

Welcome to the Ambulance Club!  Sorry to read this but glad that it sounds like you're okay. You'll probably be sore for the next few days and then you'll be a little skittish for your first few rides now that you've been hit. I commuted by bike for many years and have had more than my fair share of run ins with vehicles but I got smacked pretty good about twelve years ago. I'm not a huge fan of taking advantage of an accident to make silly cash, but I do believe in making things square. It sounds like yours was a hit and run but other than that, our accidents are pretty similar.

I'm not a lawyer, just an average joe so take my humble opinion with a grain of salt. Definitely get the police report. Definitely get names of witnesses. Definitely try to track down the driver then just get insurance info from them and keep it at that. Contact their insurance. FYI - their insurance will probably be scared ----less that you're going to sue so you'll have some power behind you...its the only time I've ever had a positive experience with an opposing insurance rep.

Driver's insurance (if insured) should cover your ambulance, e/r & follow up visits and brand new bike with any candy you had on it so you'll need to get an estimate from your LBS. Because the driver smacked you AND took off, there should be a modest settlement involved unless you want to do the court/lawyer/sue thing. I think I got about 2 grand after bike, hospital, two weeks work, etc. I was in my 20's and that seemed like a lot of money then but looking at the xrays of my back now, I should have held out for another couple of grand or not signed on the dotted line for a few months (=I've had back issues and a few chiropractor bills since then). But the driver stopped, knew he made an honest mistake and felt bad. That made a difference in how I felt and I based my actions on the way I hoped someone would act against me if I had made same mistake. I think we can all admit, its hard to see cyclist and motorcyclist and I almost tattered a motorcyclist about four years after this because I didn't see him. If they were jabbering away on their cell phone...take them to the cleaners (kidding but I hate that). But don't feel too bad because thats why we're all supposed to carry insurance and insurance companies seem to be the stingiest folks in the entire world.

I broke 3 ribs in my transaction and it took about a year before my back stopped having point numbness due to the new slight twist in my spine. If you think about the force vectors involved, its easy to understand why you're sore as everything went from going one way to going another = quick. Up to that point, I had just worn my helmet just because and not all the time. I'll pedal back home now whenever I find I've spaced it.  I'm a believer now and every time I go out to do battle against the clueless motorists of the world, I suit up accordingly with lights, reflective tape and bright clothing, especially during the twilight hours.

Heal up man but whatever you do, get back on your bicycle ASAP - if only just for a quick spin in order to reaffirm that riding a bike is the coolest thing you can do in the world!

2007-09-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: #977770

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Thanks for the input!

Just to be clear: It was not a hit and run. The police did interview the driver as far as I know... I'm on my way now to get a copy of the police report.
I'll keep your experience in mind - thanks for sharing.

I would go out for a ride as it's beautiful today, but I'm still a bit dizzy, and my bike is busted. :-(

Tough to climb back on a broken horse.

2007-09-25 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Man! Sorry about the wreck   Glad you're O.K.  Sounds like you had a bunch of helpful people on the scene.  Don't have a lot of advice about insurance, but just wanted to say sorry for your situation.  Hope everything goes well from here on out.
2007-09-25 10:48 AM

Master
Hire a lawyer. They may take 33% (or whattever your state allows), but it is one less headache, and makes sure everything gets taken care of.

One problem with this tho, it takes time. My suit setteled recently about 1 year after opening it.

2007-09-25 11:16 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Damn Dave, that sucks!

Let me know if there is anything I can do (from 800 miles away).  Hopefully the person's insurance will cover everything as needed.  Get some cash out of them!!  Replace the bike with something nice and treat the wife to a nice dinner out.

Heal quickly my friend!

2007-09-25 11:18 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
#1, remember anythign you write on here is public and it will be displayed in court. Im 100% on that. So dont make any false claims on here, going either direction. Dont make any statements on here that you dont want the other side to see... just FYI.

Id definitely consult a lawyer, you may have some lasting injuries. You may forfeit your right to compensation of those injuries of you do not excersize them while you make a settlement.

2007-09-25 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!  Some really valuable stuff here as well. Thank you!
2007-09-25 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I just skimmed this, but didn't see lost wages.  When this happened to me, the other party's insurance covered my week out of work as well.
2007-09-25 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Jeez, I'm so sorry.  I have no sage advice or anything, but just wanted to pass on my sympathy and well-wishes.

I hope that you heal quickly and that you get this resolved fairly.

Best wishes!

2007-09-25 8:59 PM

Champion

Sorry to hear Dave.  But I am also in the same camp as the "contact a lawyer" group.  My wife was sitting in her car, waiting at stoplight, completely stopped for at least a minute, when a tractor trailer hit her from behind and totalled the car.  She went to the hospital to be checked out but was uninjured.  Still, a year later, the truck driver's insurance agency was trying some fancy legal dancing with our insurance company, claiming it wasn't "totally" his fault.  Oh yeah, like my wife had something to do with it...sitting STOPPED at a traffic light!  Contact a lawyer, you're dealing with personal injury here!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike vs Car : Cars still undefeated Rss Feed