General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MI based triathlon coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-26 7:03 AM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: MI based triathlon coach
Anyone aware of a coach located in MI (preferably metro Detroit)?

I just started training for triathlons back in February and have one sprint under my belt.

I would like to prepare for a HIM (Steelhead) in '08.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2007-09-26 4:43 PM
in reply to: #979428

User image

Regular
Birmingham, Michigan
Subject: RE: MI based triathlon coach
Don't know if you're interested in fundraising, but I did a Team in Training tri in 05 and the coaching I received through the program was excellent.
2007-10-13 9:27 PM

Veteran
I'm planning on well as doing Steelhead. If interested- I know of a coach located in Windsor/ Guelph, Ontario I'm thinking of hooking up with.

-Helen
2007-10-14 7:59 AM
in reply to: #980461

User image

Extreme Veteran
LepMom,

Please explain what Team in Training is. What kind of fundraising?

Thanks

lepmom - 2007-09-26 5:43 PM

Don't know if you're interested in fundraising, but I did a Team in Training tri in 05 and the coaching I received through the program was excellent.
2007-10-14 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I haven't found one, unfortunately, and I've been looking.

For an HIM prep, I did it by myself, supported by BT, and did just fine. But I had some background and didn't have that far to go in fitness terms. I especially already had SOME kind of swim technique, bike fitness, and run technique nailed.

I guess, without knowing WHAT you need a coach for, here are your options in Metro Detroit:

For the Swim tehnique:  Masters Swim. Latch onto a masters program (one of 'em swims at RO high school several nights a week, for one). That comes with swim instruction from many ex NCAA, and in some cases, Olympic swimmers. There's an excellent one at Oakland U that costs, but you get coached by an Olympian. Plus, they'll film your stroke.  Also, look into FAST (Ford Area Swim Team), which also doubles as a tri-club. Many, many solid swimmers there, and some informal coaching.

For the Bike technique: Unless you wanna go >22mph, all you need is time in the saddle - no coaching required. Consider group rides, or coming with the BT'ers to the metroparks (Stony, Kensington, Island Lake), or Hines Drive on the weekends. Also, there are a couple of group rides that leave RO on weeknights or weekends (google Michigan Bike Clubs, and it'll be one of the first couple entries, can't remember the name of the club).

For running technique: If you really need to improve your run FORM, go to Hansens. Luke Humphrey, and olympian, recently coached a slow buddy from 9+ to 7:30's over HIM distance, and got him in in less than 4 hours in an IM.  Also, BT's own Trixie is in the Lansing area, and she's SMRT. Smart.

For nutrition:  Lots of options, but I'd look into Marni Rakes, on the BT site. Check the nutrition forum. I haven't found anyone in Metro Detroit that's multisport-oriented.

For an overall plan (e.g., workouts, etc):  I checked the USAT site to find the certified coaches, and there are very few in the Metro area. So it's basically online that's your option. McCormack, Mark Allen, our own D3, Kurt Perham, tons of options. Basically you need to decide what your philosophy is, then find a coach that coaches in line with that philosophy (e.g., training fits your schedule vs. strict fixed workouts, HR / Power / RPE, ones that like strength training vs. not, how much feedback and contact you need, ones that are feelgood vs. drill sgts, etc., etc.). There are lots of variables here.

For motivation: Don't know about you, but most of what a coach could do for me is keep me from blowing off workouts...accountability. I'm pretty sure I'd need a local coach, or group events in swim/bike/run above, to keep me going.

And BTW, I did Steelhead and a couple other HIM's in my 2nd full year of tris, and did OK. Feel free to PM me (or post here) questions, glad to help. And look for group workouts, especially running through the fall and winter, and the other sports as the freeze lifts.

Good luck.

2007-10-14 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1007708

Extreme Veteran
Well, not like I am in much of a position to give advice but depending on where you are at. I can add a bit more to Rick's comments.

FAST has lots of different group swims some with coaching, check their website.

Bike -- HILLS, I went from riding Hines to Island Lake/Kensington and what a different, I have improved much more this year on the bike than last year. Ya Hills, and More Hills. If you need a bike fit you have several options in SE michigan. Bikesport Michigan in Dearborn gets folks from around the globe, but some think it comes with an attitude. I believe Frasher cycle does them also, and the place in Ann Arbor that name escapes me they have 2 stores and I can not believe I forgot their name, and there is another one in Saline, its a smaller shop and once again I can't come up with a name. (Gee Im alot of help)

Run -- don't look to me I hear the same thing about running as biking do hills, but I have to be able to handle the flats first, maybe need to go out to Hansens.

Dave

2007-10-15 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1007873

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Dave-

I'm going to have to get out to Kensington. I work in Southfield and it is just a quick jaunt down 96 from me during the week. Weekends I've been going to Stoney, but it sounds like Kensington has the hills that you recommend.

With respect to your bike suggestion, I actually purchased my '07 Felt S32 from Bikesport earlier this year. I got a great deal on the bike (a really great deal) and the fit seems good (no pain or fatigue issues coming from someone starting with absolutely zero biking experience or fitness). During the fit Tom was very patient and explained everything to me understanding that I was completely clueless about bikes/biking.

Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll see you out at Kensington sometime.

-Colin
2007-10-16 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Coaches are helpful, but groups to train with are a fantastic motivator as well as being a great source of knowledge too. Groups area great supplement to coaches who can help address specific needs you may have.

If you are looking for a group to join, there are spots still open on the Greyhounds Multi-Sport team. We'll be having two group training days per week, Tuesday night bike rides and Thursday night swim/rides at Island Lake by Kensington. Add in bike shop discounts, free bike maintenance and repairs along with special group buys and it's a pretty good deal. All we are looking for is representation at three to five local races depending on distance. I can guarantee your bike fitness will take a huge jump from our Tuesday night training rides.

If you are interested drop us an application at. http://www.cycletofitness.com/race/ Mark down that Glen sent you.
2007-10-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1010305

Extreme Veteran
Sent you a PM
2007-10-17 12:23 PM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Dave-

Didn't receive PM. Also, I sent you (and Rick) one. Maybe it's not working or maybe I'm just an idiot and can't figure it out. My Inbox is empty.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MI based triathlon coach Rss Feed