General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » opening the door Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-29 5:12 PM

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Subject: opening the door
So I am anxious to begin the tri season, but I seem to be lacking the motivation to work out. The kids need me, two of them ages 3 and 4, and the spouse needs me, plus, I need time for me just to sit and "be." I just do not have the umph! to get a move on.

I need motivation and looking better and feeling better is not the answer. I have races from March through September to include my first 1/2 Ironman. I want to do well, but I am looking for a career change, my husband is getting orders to some where, my son starts K4 in August- my focus is unfocused.

I really could use a swift kick in the ---.

I love tris. My best is the swimming, then bike and I just dread the run. It is a complete mental game for me and I lose every time. I enjoy swimming because it is peaceful and surreal. Odd I know but the water has a hold over me. Ever since I was 5. I LOVE the water so long as I am swimming or under water. Biking is awesome because I feel like I can fly and I feel so free. Running, I feel like I am being tortured. I'll have to figure a mind game with running.

I would love to have a serious but nice training partner. However in the local area, I seem to be the only triathlete, well, at least female.Most of the females here that I have come across really don't care about athletics. It is quite hard to train alone when motivation is done. I am looking for a partner so my prayers and search will continue.

Hasany heard of the playstation cycling race game? Supposedly you can race on screen with others while actually riding your road bike. If you have let me know because I would love to get my hands on that.

OK so for calming the beast within, I love horses. I love horses. Every aspect about them. I love cleaning them, riding them, feeding them, all aspects about horses. They are just beautiful creatures.

Well, if anyone cares to offer some motivational tips that helps when they do not want to move or work or exercise, let me know. It happens once in a blue moon so I'll heed advice

The website is great and maybe, just maybe, even if I do not have a training partner, I'll have internet training information and motivation.
Thanks and have a Texas sixe great day.

:-O

2004-01-29 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5428

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: opening the door
I think this time of year is tough for a lot of people. It's cold in most places, it seems to be snowing or raining, and it's just hard to have that great motivation attitude.

Check out this great story it might provide a little motivation!
http://www.whenbigboystri.com/worth_the_wait.htm
2004-01-29 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5434

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Thank you Michael. That was wonderful. Bless him Bless him. It makes my problem seem so minute. Bless him. I printed the story and have it on my fridge for these days especially. THANK YOU
2004-01-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: #5437

User image

Central Louisiana
If you ever run across anymore stories like that, send them my way and I will post them to my site. Things like that really remind us of how fortunate that we are.
2004-01-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: #5439

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Michael, you need to pick up Chicken Soup for the Soul and the other similar books. An enormous amount of stories ike Ben's. Also there are other books, but of course the name escapes me- t is like Angels Among Us, or Angels Around Us- Something to that effect. Regardless the stories pretty much tell you that life is not rough. It is only what you make of it. They are great books.

Tuesdays With Morrie, Who Moved My Chesse?, and It's not About the Bike- Lance Armstrong are great to read also.

Really though pick up one copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul and wow- it really puts life into perspective. ;-)
2004-01-29 6:39 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hi J, nice to see you here,

I hear ya about the training partners. I've seem to run out of them too. Oh well. We've got a great team here and I'm happy to have you as a team mate!

I don't know what the secret to finding your mojo is. Mine was MIA for a couple of years and now that I want to play again my body is rebelling in many ways. But I'll overcome that too. I hope you find your mojo

2004-01-30 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Ok, here is your first keick in the butt!!!!

Motivation is sometimes hard. Especially when busy. I have started to use my training as my "me time". I used to stay up late on weekends to watch a movie, but I find that needed less and less. Once you get into that zone, it is easy to just reflect and be alone with yourself.

If you move to Patrick AFB in FL, there a quite a few triathletes in this area and many of them women. We have a great tri club here. The run will come. I absolutley hated it with a passion and then one day I found myself looking forward to the next run and now I truly enjoy it.Are you taking enough easy runs? Maybe you are going too hard and that makes it feel like torture.

To be more accountable, start keeping your logs up to date and people will come by and give you that kick! Welcome and let us know when we can help.

2004-01-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: #5480

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
I think I only do easy runs. I dread the run so much that I fail to make it that hard. I need to stick to a training guide and just get going.

I understand the TV addiction. I was addicted to CSI, Law and Order: SVU or Criminal Intent, now I want to go to bed early and get up earlier. TV is nice sometimes but I feel so sluggish sitting there. I actualy have begun to despise the tele because I could do so much. Plus I have kids and I really do not want them to grow up sitting in front of the box.
Thanks Cameron and maybe I can convince hubby of Florida. Great for his career, my career, and hey, I'll train with someone serious finally.

Thank you.
2004-01-30 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Open That Door
Boy, it would pretty hard to motivate you any more than Ben's story must have. You have said that the kids need you and your spouse needs you...but don't forget, you need you! It is not merely up to you to make the time for yourself but up to your partner to "adjust" his/her schedule to meet yours, to help you realise your goal. This (training for and participating in triathlons) is something that you need to make you feel good about yourself. You are already two thirds of the way into being a successful triathlete as you enjoy swimming and cycling. What you need to do now is to revisit jogging in your mind and make it a sport where you can be with your own thoughts. I used to think that jogging was the most boring mind numbing thing to do until I let my thoughts drift. I solve mathematical problems, write essays, and assess the problems of the universe, all the while enjoying the sun, the fresh air and the freedom while I am out jogging.

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-01-30 9:07 AM
2004-01-30 9:10 AM
in reply to: #5499

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Subject: RE: Open That Door
Thank you and I'll try the mind drift instead of mind torture.

My motto is "Soak up the sun" too bad the sun is covered by clouds, mist, and snow somtimes. But as the wind blows I too must go with the flow. :-)
2004-01-30 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Are you using a heart rate monitor. Your easy runs may be harder than you realize. That happened to me. My "esay runs" at first were at a HR of 165+ instead of <150.  I had to really work at slowing myself down.

2004-01-31 8:54 PM
in reply to: #5506

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
If the truth must be told, thank God you couldn't pick me out in a crowd- the heart monitor is useless on me it tends to get pushed down while running and I spend more energy fixing it then running. I hope you understand the jist, and yes, I am blushing.

I need to find a different heart rate monitor- do you know of one that does not go around the bust line?
2004-02-02 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
There are some that just use the watch, but are not as accurate. If you have the Polar watch, I believe they also make a special bra to use instead of the strap.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » opening the door Rss Feed