Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Reason for masochist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-29 6:48 PM

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Subject: Reason for masochist
I've read in plenty of tri magazines, inerviews, and even in Lance Armtrong's It's Not About The Bike that triathletes, cyclists, and marathon runners and especially Ironman athletes are masochistic- I understand the accusation and agree but why do you do it? It hurts and it aches and the reward is minute- crossing the finish line, or the reward is monetary- question why? Why do you do it? Why do you train and ache and get up early or work out hard and sacrifice the "norm" of life? Why the dedication and the discipline?

My answer is: The reward of crossing the finish line is because of me. No one else. I did it because I chose to. The one thing in my life I need no approval, constructive criticsm, reward, promotion, pay increase- It is just me and proving to me that I have it in me to do what I set out to do. I do it, because I CAN and it is like no other feeling in the world.

Plus I have never been the "norm" in life. I was never the popular girl, the prom queen, the sorority girl, the party girl, or the one who everyone looked to for advice. I always did things the way I felt best about and it was never normal. I feel as if being a part of the normal life just was not satisfying enough. I wanted challenges, I still do. I want to know I am alive based on accomplishments not job title. Crossing the finish line, even though I want to stop moving, makes me feel so alive!

Please don't misunderstand the comment as I am not saying being any of the above mentioned is BAD. I felt while growing up that swim team was more important because I needed a scholarship. I needed to work two jobs as a Junior and Senior in high school for personal reasons. In college I had to make money or I was not going to have a house or tuition so the norm to me never seemed to be the societal norm. Hence the need for challenges. I know the work grind, I still do it but for my satisfaction in life, it is the internal struggle that makes me press on. The drive to do better this time, and the next time, and the next time that is the high life.

My reasons for my love of tri's is to quelch the inner beast that is still pissed off because I wanted to be normal but couldn't. :-( :-O ;-)

2004-01-30 4:27 AM
in reply to: #5450

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Reason for masochist
the reason I do it is simple really. Because I can. (or at least I could, and I hope I can again) I don't think it masochistic, at least not for me. The endorphins released from exercise just can't be beat. It provides for a healthy state of mind that last a lot longer than any other kind of fix.

The tri community is a great place to belong to. I suspect that most of us were not the homecoming queen or the captain of the football team. Put us together at a triathlon and we are among equals. After reading here for and other places for a while, I know that inside many of those ultra-fit triathletes that I see at the races is just another person struggling with food and weight related issues, racing for many of the same reasons I am. Get us together on a team or for a training group and there is an acceptance you just don't find everywhere. Swim workouts are organized to accomodate people of all abilities, bike rides are organized for people who ride all speeds and distances, and track workouts are organized to help even a beginner make some progress towards their goals.

I have found that over the years my friends are people from the tri community. I have just drifted away from the people I used to go bar hopping with and the people who did not share the same love for athletics that I have. This makes it so much easier to live the tri lifestyle. It also makes it especially hard to have sat out the last season and a half, but that has only served to strengthen my determination to return.

The team I belonged to in the past has a training weekend in NH in May. Can you imagine almost 100 women getting together to swim, bike, and run? I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend. I hope to go this year even if I don't rejoin the team. They are open for guests as well. Of course I am older than most of them, but it does not matter.

anyhow, that's the "why" of why I tri. I like that it makes me different. I like that others find me odd because of what I do

2004-01-30 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Nice posts above! ford5683, I saw your need for motivation on another thread and I think you have it right here! I do it for a number of reasons! One, because I can now. In the last year I have transformed myself and want to stay that way. second: health. I need the exercise for genetic cholesterol problem and just exercising to exercise doesn't work for me :-) I need that goal. Third is the competition. I love it. I have had it all my life (baseball, beach volleyball, softball tourney team, racquetball tourney). It is such a great feeling. I can still feel the excitement of my first race last fall (half mary) and the sense of accomplsihment. I was slow and know it, but 6mos prior I couldn't even imagine running 5 miles! Fourth it gives me time to reflect while training once you get into the zone and give me that time alone instead of camping in front of TV.
2004-01-30 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA

Great posts!  I'm doing it to see if I can.  I think I can, but most of the people who know me are skeptical.  That's why everyone here is so great.  Personally, I've always enjoyed being not quite normal - part of the attraction of tris for me is that they are not a 'normal' thing to do either.  Although given how much happier my body is with the training I don't see why there aren't more people doing this.

Am I a masochist?  No way.  I've always looked for fun and pleasure in what I do, and I'm finding it here.  Then again, I enjoy following my wife straight up mountainsides while my legs burn and a wet 40 mph wind blows at me.  And I enjoyed math, and tearing my fingers up on a guitar, and well...I don't know.  If finding pleasure in difficult things is masochistic then that's not so bad.

2004-01-30 11:36 AM

User image

New Hampshire
I’m no masochist - at least I don’t think so.

I am very guilty of letting the “good life” rule me – too much bad food, too much drink, too much Tv and too many smokes. I made a decision to change all of that and I’ve started doing so. I now mainly drink red wine – and only a couple of times a week. I quit smoking 6 months ago. TV is banned in our house (as is playstation and Computers)except at weekends (the kids went nuts at first but now are great – reading, playing and doing something!) so it was time to do something about the food and general physical wellbeing.

I’ve always been ok at swimming and biking but hate running so a triathlon seemed the right fit. Strenuous enough in training to test me and get me in shape, involves 2 sports I like and it will be challenging to get to like the other one.

I can fit the training into my schedule (just) and not compromise my family time so I decided to do it and get in shape before I get into my forties.

It’s a challenge and one I’m looking forward to. It may be bad now just starting and it being winter but I’ve been pampered and closeted for long enough and its high time my ass started moved. Training will be much better when it gets warmer and I look forward to that.

As for being a triathlete – well its just something I want to do. And I will.

There’s loads of things that you can do to train and loads of equipment you can buy to help you but when it gets to the race its really very simple. You have to swim, bike and run. That’s it. So I’m taking the advice of the great people here on training etc but they wont be there to race for me – only I will so I must do the training. Don’t over complicate the training and racing (at least that’s my philosophy – and I reserve the right to change it) – just swim, bike, run and you will do it. Keep moving your arms and legs towards the finish and you will finish. Doesn’t matter how far behind the leader – you will be a triathlete.

Go for it.

Mike

Wow – I got into that ramble a bit didn’t I !! Sorry!
2004-02-12 10:12 PM

, Alabama

I do it because I can as well.  I work in physical therapy and see people all the time who have Parkinson's, paraplegia, strokes, and a multitude of orthopedic ailments, etc. who wish they could do 1/10th of what I do. 

I also do it because I had a real scare thrown at me. This time last year, a neurologist told me that I had a mass growing on one of my cranial nerves, causing numbness on the left side of my face.  By June, I also couldn't eat because that same nerve works the muscles of chewing as well as sensation to that side of the face.  I lost 13 lbs in 1 month (didn't even know I had that much to lose) and was very weak and scared.  It wasn't until December that it was officially confirmed that it wasn't a tumor, but neuropathy of the nerve.  I still have the same symptoms, but learned to deal with it better.  It may take years to get better or not heal at all.  Using the deficits to my advantage, now that I'm lighter my running times have REALLY decreased!  I feel blessed that it is only neuropathy and nothing worse.  I definitely don't take my health for granted.

Sharon

2004-02-13 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
I love the posts up above. Call me a sentimental geek but I'm almost in tears. I always knew there was a deeper reason why I'm trying a Tri. I was just the opposite of abnormal when I was in high school and college. I was normal to extreme - party girl, sorority girl, football player's girlfriend, smart girl, etc. But deep down I was none of those things. I was so unhappy with myself. I would get so down on myself. Because I wasn't THE most popular party girl or THE best sorority girl, or THE quarterback's girlfriend or THE smartest girl in the room. It got so pathetic. To top it off I would get mad at myself because I was fat. All my life I've been into working out but most of my life I've been overweight. It would kill me that I could swim faster, farther and do more crunches than the skinny chics who were 1/3 of my weight yet I was looked at as if there was something wrong with me.I've always been a swimmer. And in some ways always worked out. (Which probably explains why my doctor says that I have the cholestrol level of an 11 year old). But this year I just got tired of being 200+So I started swimming six days a week. Swimming is easy for me. I ABSOLUTELY HATED running. (I dated an ultramarathon runner for four years and would marvel at every race we went to that he could run for hours. I couldn't run for seconds!) But I can't just work out to work out. I needed a goal. So being the overachiever I am I picked doing a tri. And you know the funny thing? There is no doubt in my mind that I will not cross that finish line. I'm crystal clear about my goal. There's no deception here. Come hell or high water on July 18 you can call me fat, big, overweight, tubby, or what ever but you better make sure you call me a triathlete first!!!!!!Boy what a ramble. Sorry.
2004-02-13 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Here's my two cents:

Whatever I am doing, running, biking, swimming or all three for the Triathlon, I do it for the love of the sport, the training routines and comraderie of my fellow athletes. In every field I have met wonderful people. My training partner and I met 7 years ago, we have a 15 year age difference and it does'nt matter. All that matters is that we both love to run (of course I have to teach her to swim this year so she can tri with me).

In high school (back in 1969) women were not encouraged to do sports. Oh sure we had field hockey, basketball (take 3 steps and pass the ball rule), but nothing like today. I just love that we can push ourselves to the max in anything we choose, we can set whatever goals we want and pursue them.

I just love the sport and hopefully will be one of the 70+ seniors still out there. This is not masochistic, it's nirvana!!!!!

Evelyn ;-)
2004-02-13 12:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I have no doubt you will cross that finish line and to be honest, anyone who would see you and say " look at that big triathlete....."  I mean anyone with half a brain would realize the absurdness of the statemant.  Triathlete.  Something 99% of the folks in the US couldn't do, wouldn't think of doing or couldn't even imagine doing.   As for your statement on cholestroral, I went and had mine tested for the first time last June and I surprised the doctor with how low it was.  Surprised because the town I live in is fat and lazy.  We were voted Fattest City in the US in one of those national magazines.  Are we really?  I don't know but from what I see....  Having said that though, even in this town it never ceases to amaze me the number of people I run into who know someone that has competed in a tri or is training for one.  This sport is growing very quickly, just look at the number of races that are  available in every state and around the world.  However it is growing quietly, the more people we talk to the more word spreads around  and hopefully we connect with someone and get them healthier. 

The running will come slowly but take it slowly.  You do more good training in a lower HR zone than anything else.  It is good you can swim, I, well I am getting better.  Biking is still a relative unknown since I don't have the bike I will be using and I have been riding in the gym.  Good Luck, cross that finish line and everyone here will be waiting to call you a Triathlete.

2004-02-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #7189

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
I feel you!! However, please don't et angry or hate me like the rest of the female population- I was called big and fat and tubby but I weighed 140 and was 5'7". I was all muscle also from swimming. It hurt. It really hurt because I wasn't popular. I hadmy scial group and I was happy but it was never THE social group primarilt because I was SO BIG and intimidating. Yet those who knew me knew that I would do anything for a friend. That I was sweet and compassionate, but lo and behold the IN crowd saw me as different for what reason I COULD NOT see but all the same it was hell being in school.

I was an athlete do or die- swimming came easy to me and if I can boast I was damn good. But still I was the outkast and it was rotten. Being around triathletes I have found our stories to be the same- the abnormal kid, the loser kid, or the overweight low self esteem but damn it I am giving it my best kid- all the people I have talked with or on the level, forthright, kind, and a true pleasure to be around. I have never felt judged or uncomfortable even on my first tri- they were all so helpful. When I fell random strangers helped. When people saw the blood they assisted and made certain I was OK. Aside from the bruised ego, I was ok. But they were there. They were not in the race only for themself they were in the race and helped me out when I felt just wretched. I am blessed to be in the sport and furthr more since I have babbled this much- I have never felt like I belonged in this world until I got into the tri circuit. The feelings of being an outkast have subsided. I am HOME so to speak.

You are goingt o great in your tri. The determination in your writing is vivid and picturesque. I wish the best of luck and O GET THEM. I believe in, but you don't need to hear it from me- because the first step is believeing in yourself. YOU have that already.

OOOOOOrahhhh- as the say in air force.

;-) :-)
2004-02-14 7:54 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

All these posts hit home with me in one way or another. The only thing I can ad is I am still the a little kid at heart. I realized this when reading to my kids..."I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.". Ok back to the land of the Lost Boys for I don't want to ever grow up at the core.

Joe

2004-02-14 6:49 PM
in reply to: #5519

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Mike, we could train together. My plan last year was to keep moving forward. This year is to keep moving forward a little faster than last year.
2004-02-16 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
To me there is not ulterior motive to do it, it is simply that I like to bike, run, and swim. I must admit that my first love is cycling but the thought of competing in all three endeavours appeals to me.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Reason for masochist Rss Feed