General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My introspective thoughts about triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-09-27 11:26 PM
in reply to: #981954

User image

Extreme Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: My introspective thoughts about triathletes
pauldelamancha - 2007-09-27 5:25 PM

Well, seeing as the average American these days is obese, then I suppose we are a little out there. But, it is far better to live life than to watch it double wide buns firmly planted in the overstuffed chair, double wide buns planted in the vinyl seat of a large automobile, or planted in the electric cart that moves around the store loudly bemoaning our fate and how we can't do anything anymore and how unhealthy we feel (but don't you dare try and suggest it's because of our weight!). Far better to be one who takes the bull by the horns and lives, does, and experiences.

Truer words were never spoken!

2007-09-28 7:11 AM
in reply to: #981668

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

The more I got into skydiving a long time ago the more I realized how truly safety conscious the smart/expert divers are.  It looks like wild party fun all the time but a lot of prep work, practice and safety checks go into making sure you survive.  The same applies to triathlon.  Sure, there's maniacs out there who don't wear helmets all the time, ride with headphones, etc.  But the vast majority of us are very concerned with the important safety issues and not so worried about what "normal" people think it crazy (ie.  running in lightning bad - but there's nothing wrong with just rain).

Here's a pic I took when heading out for a nice morning run last winter.    I can't wait - it'll be back soon.
Dangit!  I had a great pic of a blizzard outside my  house when I went out to run and now I can't find it.  Oh well, I'll get another one this winter.

2007-09-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: #981763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA
Donto - 2007-09-27 4:13 PM

What's wrong with taking the Brown Lab with you, put a doggy life vest on and I'm sure he/she would enjoy the swim!

I don't know why I never thought of this - I'm not sure he'll like the water, but I'll give it a shot.  (He's a recently adopted rescue and I haven't brought him into the water yet).

Kathy G - I just may take you up on the offer of coming east (Maine is a little too far away).  Even the people I trained with this year are put off by the cold water.....I don't get it.  After the initial shock, it's really not that bad. 

Thanks everyone - I knew I came to the right place.  What's that saying?  Surround yourself with like-minded people......(sane or not!)

2007-09-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: #982315

User image

Pro
MA

guncollector - 2007-09-27 11:00 PM

These pics so remind me of an OWS incident I had recently.

While I still don't get overly-excited about solo swims in OWS in our lakehouse's protected little cove--I do it for the practice.  I know there's nothing scary in the water--nothing bigger than a 15-20# catfish.  And, I've only recently become "comfortable" (relative term here) swimming by myself in the cove (yes, the family keeps an eye on my from shore...well...sort of).

So, a couple weeks back, I'm plugging away practicing my sighting...I'm a good 150m off the shoreline when I start feeling something bump me from the side.  Driftwood?  Some other detritus I swam by (but didn't see)?  Never mind....just keep swimming.  Then, it happens again...and I try not to freak.  Then...something semi-claws me in the calf.... WTF was that?!?!  If I had my HRM on, the record would definitely have shown a serious spike in BPM's!

Turns out, it was the lab of one of the house renters nearby--who just wanted to come out and draft alongside me.  I started laughing, but it really did scare the bejesus out of me....

That is so cute. Maybe the dog was trying to "fetch" you?  I'd swim with a dog any day than swim with turtles, weed, other weird stuffs. 

To Brownlab:  some of us here in MA were crazy enough to OWS in 58oF water this past May. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My introspective thoughts about triathletes Rss Feed  

of 2