Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone in hotel management? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-27 3:31 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: Anyone in hotel management?

Besides the long hours and irregular schedule.....what are the pros and cons?

We're talking good sized upscale - not Motel 6......

Anyone?

2007-09-27 3:34 PM
in reply to: #981823

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Anyone in hotel management?

Meeting lots of people, constantly changing environment, lots and lots of opportunity to do troubleshooting/problem solving.

If you really enjoy customer service, then I'd consider it.  Otherwise, it's thankless. 

2007-09-27 3:48 PM
in reply to: #981839

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Scout7 - 2007-09-27 3:34 PM

Meeting lots of people, constantly changing environment, lots and lots of opportunity to do troubleshooting/problem solving.

If you really enjoy customer service, then I'd consider it.  Otherwise, it's thankless. 

Not that I'm getting much thanks at my current job.......

2007-09-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #981887

User image

Runner

*snerk*  I can understand that.

I was not specifically in Hotel Management, I was always in F&B, but much of my working experience (including management) was in hotels, and I got to see a lot of all the operations.  I always said it was the best and worst profession to be in.  The challenge is great, I loved meeting people all the time, we had regulars, I got to talk to interesting people, and got paid to do it...  That part was great.

The downside was the hours, the fact that you don't get holidays, and that you are generally dealing with people's expectations, regardless of how right or wrong those expectations are.  Sure, most people are decent enough.  But some are just....bizarre.  I've been called names, swore at, someone once even tried to take a swing at me. 

2007-09-27 4:15 PM
in reply to: #981904

User image

Master
Denver
Ditto what Scout said.

I liked the fact that you are always meeting people from all over and it is challenging. There is always a new, different situation to deal with or something new to learn. When you think you've seen it all something new will happen to keep you on your toes. And having the power to take someone who is having a bad experience and turn their trip around is a nice feeling. Plus if you work for a large chain the benefits are usually pretty nice. I stayed on the Champs Elysee, in a $500+/night room for $85.

On the downside it can get wearying to have to pretend to be in a good mood when you aren't, not to mention the people out there who are just miserable human beings and there is nothing you can do to change that while they take it out on you for some minuscule detail.

It also depends on the clientele you will have. I loved working at a hotel in a touristy area because almost everyone who came to stay with us was in a good mood since they were on vacation. When I moved and worked at a more upscale hotel in the city many of the guests were business travelers who had no interest in anything except getting to their room as fast and with as little interaction as possible.

Edited by drewb8 2007-09-27 4:16 PM
2007-09-27 4:30 PM
in reply to: #981904

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Scout7 - 2007-09-27 3:57 PM

....... someone once even tried to take a swing at me. 

I'll bet that wasn't a great day!  So that must be an interesting story....

Well, everything you said I expected.  I do have extensive customer service experience, and it's been the only thing I ever did that I really loved.  I'm just really good at it, and I want to get back into it somehow.  This is just a possibility that has come up in my half a$$ed job searching I'm doing (I have a job) - and before I go for the interview I wanted to see if anyone would say "GOOD LORD WOMAN.....DON"T DO IT"....... 

I'm not sure if push came to shove I would consider it because of the hours, but that's just me being spoiled. I have all the flexibility in the world since there are no kids at home anymore and my husband long ago learned he was on his own with regard to domestic chores.... so I don't want to have my mind set against it before I even talk to them.  Sometimes crazy hours have their own benefits. 

And it's entirely possible they will laugh in my face when I tell them what my salary expectations are (aren't they notoriously underpaid?) so my whole interest in this career path could go down in flames anyway...... but what the heck, might as well at least go to the interview and see what I think....

Thanks for playing!

2007-09-27 4:35 PM
in reply to: #981937

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

drewb8 - 2007-09-27 4:15 PM ..... It also depends on the clientele you will have. I loved working at a hotel in a touristy area because almost everyone who came to stay with us was in a good mood since they were on vacation. When I moved and worked at a more upscale hotel in the city many of the guests were business travelers who had no interest in anything except getting to their room as fast and with as little interaction as possible.

OH no!  Alert alert!  I am in the LEAST touristy part of the country humanly possible.....most of the clients will probably be CRANKY because they had to come here...... Uh oh....this changes things....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone in hotel management? Rss Feed