General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How will not biking in off season affect me next year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-30 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: How will not biking in off season affect me next year

I have a good base (did IM this year) and cycling is my strength (I think) so this winter I would really like to focus on swimming and running.

I would like to follow a Jack Daniels based plan which will have me running MINIMUM 4 days per week.  Then with swimming 3x and a couple of strength sessions - that realistically is all I have time (or motivation) for.

I would like to know peoples opinions/ experience on how my biking peformance will drop (well OK that is obvious) but more importantly whether it will be possible to get back to where I left off quite quickly if I don't cycle for 2 or 3 months. 

Thanks

Jackie 

2007-09-30 8:16 PM
in reply to: #984704

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: How will not biking in off season affect me next year

Why all or nothing? Most folks just do trainer rides in the winter...so why not just do 1-2 short trainer rides to maintain and then do run/swim focused time.

Last year how much cycling did you do? Mostly trainer rides? How were you last spring when you started riding on the roads? How long did it take you to get back to the year before's level assuming you didn't ride outside.

I rode outside last winter all year..I'm nuts I know...I rode a lot this year...and I have more endurance and can go faster longer but not really that much faster going short. I wonder if I did less cycling how it would have effected me.  

2007-09-30 8:34 PM
in reply to: #984712

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
The nothing is more of a time thing plus the fact that once the ice and snow comes it is all trainer riding (I'm in lake effect snow band) which I don't really enjoy.  I did a lot of hours on the trainer last winter in preparation for IMLP which I didn't really enjoy (despite the cycling dvds, movies etc) and mentally I just don't want to do that again.  Maybe a couple of 30minuters would be OK but would that be enough to maintain anything?
2007-09-30 9:37 PM
in reply to: #984726

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jackjack - 2007-09-30 8:34 PM

The nothing is more of a time thing plus the fact that once the ice and snow comes it is all trainer riding (I'm in lake effect snow band) which I don't really enjoy. I did a lot of hours on the trainer last winter in preparation for IMLP which I didn't really enjoy (despite the cycling dvds, movies etc) and mentally I just don't want to do that again. Maybe a couple of 30minuters would be OK but would that be enough to maintain anything?

What about some spin classes at the gym?

I don't know about your specific fitness but if I took months off the bike... I would be back at square one with my cycling fitness.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How will not biking in off season affect me next year Rss Feed