General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on inside of right knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-01 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Pain on inside of right knee

I have been experiencing knee pain, inside of my right knee.  Only hurts when I run, it's been almost 2 weeks now.   Run-bike-golf event on 9/16.  2 days off and pain started after run on 9/19, took off till 9/23 ran with no pain but pain afterwards.  Tried again on 9/29 and 10/1 but pain still there.  No swelling or tenderness.  No event I can recall to cause knee trauma.  Biking/swimming no problems, in fact biking seems to make the knee feel better.

I made a dr appt but it is aways out on 10/12.  Since biking/swimming don't cause any discomfort during/after are these Ok till then?  Any ideas as to what is wrong?   

2007-10-01 4:25 PM
in reply to: #986101

Subject: RE: Pain on inside of right knee

I had pain on the inside of my left knee.  I do not recall any trauma that made the pain start.  It hurt when I ran / walked but did not hurt biking or swimming.  It also hurt w/ certain twisting movements.  I was taking ibuprofin and icing it down while staying off of it and decided it was OK to run a 5K on it one weekend.  About 1/2 through the dull pain I had became an accute pain.  Swelling ensued and I couldn't walk on it after the race.  I ended up tearing my medial meniscus - it's the "C" shaped cartilage that serves as the pad between the thigh bone and lower leg. 

Definately see a doctor - I saw an orthopedic surgeon who ordered an MRI on the knee and sure enough it was a pretty nasty tear.  They will also check for ligament damage.  Unfortunately other complications (DVT and persistant blood clots) delayed the surgery to remove the torn cartilage from 6/11 to 9/27. 

If it's hurting when you turn on it, it just might be that.  Hopefully it's just a sprain and you'll recover quickly.  But definately see a doctor.  Looking forward to see how it turns out!  Good Luck!

2007-10-03 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Since my orthopedic appt is out aways, I went to urgent care on Monday night.  I luckily got to see a dr who was also a runner...lucky break.  She did an external exam, said nothing looked out of whack.  Told me I could do anything that didn't cause pain to the knee.  Recommended not running until after results of my 10/12 appt.  Did tell me to take 800mg of ibuprofin 4x daily, even though there is no and hasn't been swelling or tenderness to the touch.   I plan on following dr's orders even though it is driving me crazy not being able to run.  I would rather go w/o running for a short time than mess something up long term.      
2007-10-19 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Was wondering the outcome of your Doc visit? I have been experiancing similar pain but in both knees. I have figured it occurs only when I run in the NB shoes not my Asics. Both need to be replaced so I am hoping mine is shoe related. Doesn't feel like a tear just a slight uncomforatble pain.
2007-10-20 5:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
earth
I had pain on the inside of my knee. I had an ortho look at it. I had sprained my MCL. I know exactly what I did though. I was on this new cardio roller blading machine. Lateral and medial movement with resistance caused me to sprain the MCL. It bothered me a lot when I ran, but I just gutted it out. Not the smart thing to do, but I couldn't resist. Lunges are the only other thing that bothers it. It's been 2 months now. The pain has reduced to 50%. I've been doing exercises to strengthen my Vastus Medialis (inside of quad), which is the stabilizer to the knee. Ice, and ibuprofen after my runs. Little by little it is getting better. Good luck, and keep us posted!
2007-10-20 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Hard as it was, I did not run until the dr appt other than 2 short, easy jogs just to check status of knee pain.  1st time I had a lot of pain, 2nd was day of appt and although there was some pain, actually just some discomfort and I felt I could have run through it.   The doc did an external exam, flexing, bending, poking and he said everything looked good.  Took an x-ray to be on the safe side and it was ok.  Told me to ease into running and come back if I experienced more pain and then maybe an MRI.

I ran that night, 4 miles easy pace, felt pretty good some soreness but no pain like before.  Ok on Sat, so ran again, this time 5 miles, still ok.  Ran on Sunday, another 5 miles, more stiffness and sore afterwards.  I realized I was not "easing" back into running, at least when coming back from an injury.  I just missed running so much it is hard not to over do it.  So now I've been running every other day or so, no more than 3 miles yet.  Some at the gym where I'll bike for about 10 minutes before getting on treadmill.  Knee seems to be doing better, a little sore at times, gets better after a little running and just a some soreness afterwards.  No sharp pain like I had experienced.    

So far the dr has not had a whole lot of value add, other than to confirm there is no structural damage and knee appears to be in good shape.  To be fair by the time I could get in to see him, I had been resting knee enough the injury seems to have healed itself.  He did not speculate on cause of pain.

Slow and easy is the comeback plan, which is common sense anyway, just can be hard to do.    

2007-10-20 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Could it be your shoes are getting too many miles? I hope all goes well with your knee.
2007-10-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1017084

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
What exercises are you doing to strenthen the Vastus Medialis?
2007-10-21 7:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hard to say but could be youjust irritated you knee cap a bit and it quieted down. 
2007-10-21 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1017328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Schrup - 2007-10-20 11:03 PM Could it be your shoes are getting too many miles? I hope all goes well with your knee.

I don't think it's the shoes, one of same brands/models as I've been wearing, switched to a new pair about a month before I had any problems.   

2007-10-21 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
There's a condition called the 'Bakers cyst" that you can look up - it could be one of the possibilities. I have it behind my left knee - it started with a pain and slight swelling, definitelly from running, but it seems that a doctor would have picked it up...

2007-10-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1017762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

dcon - 2007-10-21 5:36 PM What exercises are you doing to strenthen the Vastus Medialis?

I did some research on this and I'm not sure if this is my problem.  I really have no knee pain except when running, downhill activities don't cause pain.  I've started lifing weights and leg/knee lifts don't aggravate it.  Doc thought knee was structurally sound.   Thanks for the input.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on inside of right knee Rss Feed