General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treating a race as training. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-03 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Subject: Treating a race as training.
I guess I need to preface this by saying that I am really a newbie to Tri, I have done one Olympic in 2004 on a summers worth of training with that one race as a goal. Afterwards I promptly gained weight and didnt get back into shape until August 1st of this year when I started working out again. I have spent the last two months building up a base which I hope to work on over the winter and spring with IMKY as a goal for next august. Basically a one year couch to IM. I have found a race that I am interested in coming up that is an end of the regular season 5k/30k/5k Duathlon. I will not have any problems finishing as I have already done the course length in training so far. I am looking to push myself a little even though I am only on two months training, and try and break 1:42 for a pretty hilly bike course. I am wondering if I should try and back off now and do a mini taper before the race or just keep going with my training as planned (this race is kind of a last minute addition)? I have been seeing improvements every week so far so I am assuming that if I treat the race much like a hard training session just with a few easy days friday and sat. I will do fine. The other option, is just to do maintenence rides and runs for the next week and a half to not try and get faster but be well rested. My question is basically if I am seeing improvement gains through continued training should I plan that I will improve before the race, or would being more rested be a better approach?

2007-10-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: #989991

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Treating a race as training.

I know nothing of your recovery capacity, but...

A WEEK AND A HALF TO TAPER FOR A 5K/30K/5K DUATHLON?

That's a bit extreme. I'm not you, but I wouldn't taper for more than 4 days even if this were my A race.

If you're wanting to treat this race as a hard training day, then take the day before and the day after easy, and then make sure you do some easy cruising on the bike after the race (on the same day).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treating a race as training. Rss Feed