General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training towards Columbia Triathalon, May 2008 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-05 9:46 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Training towards Columbia Triathalon, May 2008
Hello all! I am new at triathlons and frankly, my boyfriend (dlaxman31) got me interested.

I graduated from West Virginia University in December 2006 and I have been incredibly active my entire life. I concentrated on volleyball and softball all throughout college and I have played both sports for 10+ years. However, after college, I feel that I am not in the shape that I once was.

I still play volleyball competitively every week, but I want to train myself in a new discipline of sports. I want to ultimately compete, and COMPLETE, the Columbia Triathlon in May 2008.

Once I pick a training plan and stick with it, I believe that I can train myself and better my physical abilities.

Any words of advice for a newbie would be well appreciated. I plan on training first on my run and slowly progress onto biking and swimming as well. Please send me any words of advise and the 'Do's and don't s' of Triathlons.

I look forward to seeking out advise and finding anyone who wants to possibly train with me.

Thanks all!

2007-10-05 10:01 PM
in reply to: #994453

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Training towards Columbia Triathalon, May 2008

Welcome to the Club! Cool

The best advice I can offer is to stay consistent.  Pick a plan to get going.  You may find you need to make adjustments or even change plans, but that's okay as long as you continue moving forward.

With swimming, take time to learn a good technique.  You'll see lots of references here to Total Immersion as one method.  Also read up on the articles here by Kevin Koskella for technique.  The key is to swim efficiently so you conserve energy that you'll need for the bike and run.

Above all - Have Fun! Smile

I'm also planning on doing Columbia, as well as Annapolis in September.

2007-10-06 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Geesh what kind of BF would subject his GF to this nonsense??  .  Best advice is to stay out of CoJ and red font is sarcastic.

Seriously, for me it was Listening to my Body.  Rest Days are just as important as Training Days.  Most importantly rule: HAVE FUN!

2007-10-06 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

buppjr - 2007-10-05 10:46 PM Hello all! I am new at triathlons and frankly, my boyfriend (dlaxman31) got me interested. I graduated from West Virginia University in December 2006 and I have been incredibly active my entire life. I concentrated on volleyball and softball all throughout college and I have played both sports for 10+ years. However, after college, I feel that I am not in the shape that I once was. I still play volleyball competitively every week, but I want to train myself in a new discipline of sports. I want to ultimately compete, and COMPLETE, the Columbia Triathlon in May 2008. Once I pick a training plan and stick with it, I believe that I can train myself and better my physical abilities. Any words of advice for a newbie would be well appreciated. I plan on training first on my run and slowly progress onto biking and swimming as well. Please send me any words of advise and the 'Do's and don't s' of Triathlons. I look forward to seeking out advise and finding anyone who wants to possibly train with me. Thanks all!

you are lucky to have support from your significant other - ask anyone in a couple situation on this site - it really helps.

good luck in your journey - you'll do great!

2007-10-07 7:51 PM

I too have recently decided to participate in the Columbia Triathlon. I'm in my 40s so I'm no longer the speed demon I once was.... okay, I admit... I NEVER was. Anyway, I've never been a swimmer so I'm going to have to hit a local pool and learn to swim more than a few laps before grabbing the pool edge! I've trudged my way through a couple of marathons several years ago but I've never been in a bike race or run a triathlon, so I'm looking forward to the new training this winter!
2007-10-07 9:43 PM
in reply to: #994461

User image

New user

Yeah, swimming is going to be my toughest event I believe, because I am not a part of the gyms here, so it'll be a bit difficult to find somewhere to swim. I think though I will need the bite the bullet and join just so I can use the pool.

I am excited though for training, and I'm getting myself of a some-what diet. I mean, I'm in pretty good shape and I'm not really looking to lose too much weight, but I need to start eating healthier. I've always been the person to eat my fruits and veggies before everything else, but since coming into the working world, that diet doesn't completely work.

I will need to listen to my body though. I've gone to the hospital many times from asthsma attacks, and those aren't too fun. Iknow when to stop myself and when to really push myself too.

I ran for 15 minutes today, it felt ok, but I had volleyball tonight so I didn't want to tucker myself out and be to tired to play tonight. I'll be running again tomorrow and I',, hopefully start biking this coming up week.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement!! Have a great day!

2007-10-08 11:02 AM

New user

Hi everyone! I am also a newbie to the triathlon world. I am planning on running the Northeast one in August, so I have a bit more time... but I'm going to need it. As far as getting a membership to swim... go for it!! I did my first swimming workout yesterday and it was SO hard! Unless you live and/or work in Columbia it's expensive to join the CA, but a good alternative is the YMCA.

My email address is [email protected]

I'd love to hear how your training is going and what you find that works and what doesn't. I'm going from college athlete to being a two year bum to back to working out. haha.
2007-10-08 8:52 PM

Can anyone tell me what the transitions are like? Is there a tent to change in, or what? If you wear your biking clothing under your wetsuit will it get wet??? I'm new to this, can probably only do a few laps in a pool without having to rest, but I'm excited about the adventure!
2007-10-08 9:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-08 9:44 PM
in reply to: #997715

ferdinand magellan - 2007-10-08 9:52 PM

Can anyone tell me what the transitions are like? Is there a tent to change in, or what? If you wear your biking clothing under your wetsuit will it get wet??? I'm new to this, can probably only do a few laps in a pool without having to rest, but I'm excited about the adventure!

Search for this question on here - this has been asked plenty of times and there are lots of threads that will give you details! (in brief, no there is no tent, nudity is not allowed, wetsuits don't keep you dry and you'll be wearing what you're gonna wear for the race most of the time - putting on a shirt when you're wet sucks)
2007-10-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #997715

Pro
yep,

ferdinand magellan - 2007-10-08 9:52 PM Can anyone tell me what the transitions are like? Is there a tent to change in, or what? If you wear your biking clothing under your wetsuit will it get wet??? I'm new to this, can probably only do a few laps in a pool without having to rest, but I'm excited about the adventure!

I agree with following comments on no nudity.  No changing tents either.  Once you can go fast on the bike you basically dry yourself off.   Try searching in the triathlon forum about newbies.  It basically breaks down EVERYTHING!  Good luck and welcome to BT 

2007-10-13 7:30 PM

Thanks for the tips all. I'll search for all the newbie info I can find! Went to the pool for the first time and found that I couldn't do the crawl for more than 50 meters without stopping so I've got quite a challenge ahead, I 'm (nervously) looking forward to it.
2007-10-15 12:51 PM

New user

Hey guys, training is going well. I'm really only running though since I'm picking up my bike this week. I'm also going to have to join the gym again just so I have have pool access.

I know that the fall is coming and the temperature is going to be dropping soon. Any pointers on how to train (if differently) in the winter months than in the warmer months?
2007-10-15 1:52 PM

Elite
I don't really change much. I put on more clothes and I'm usually colder! Haha, sorry thats probably not what you were looking for. Of course I got frostbite once running through a New York snow storm!

Good luck at Columbia! Wish I could make it...
2007-10-19 7:24 PM

Wow, I had no idea that the swimming was going to be this difficult! I know how to swim but I guess I don't really "know how to swim"!!! I can do no more than 50 meters, freestyle, in a pool, before resting for a minute. The Columbia Triathlon involves swimming 1500 meters without stopping, I'm a little freaked out right now!
2007-10-19 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1016559

Master
Clifton, NJ

ferdinand magellan - 2007-10-19 8:24 PM Wow, I had no idea that the swimming was going to be this difficult! I know how to swim but I guess I don't really "know how to swim"!!! I can do no more than 50 meters, freestyle, in a pool, before resting for a minute. The Columbia Triathlon involves swimming 1500 meters without stopping, I'm a little freaked out right now!

dude. i've been there. don't worry - it will come in time. swimming is the hardest to get used to. we are land animals and are used to breathing as we need to, not only when we can. so breathing while swimming is very hard. just concentrate on exhaling all your air out underwater so that you can simply inhale when you do breathe. resting is okay in the beginning - think of it like walk breaks in running, you have to start somewhere. don't give up!

2007-10-20 1:45 AM
in reply to: #1016559

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
I'm on the left coast and also have my eye on an Oly distance race next summer. And like so many others the swim is what will be the hardest. Just haven't mastered that smooth crawl stroke yet. I haven't attended a tri event yet, but will be come springtime - for those that have participated and/or just gone to observe, how many are doing the breast stroke in the back of the pack? Feels like I can do that all day long (well almost) and I know it's not the most efficient, but I still feel pretty fresh when I finish 1000-1500 meters. Am I crazy thinking that I can eventually pull off an Oly or 1/2 Iron race with my slow stroke? I'm 40, have a bad heart and know I'll never be competitive even with my 40+ competitors, so speed in the water may not be as big an issue for me as it is for some of you - I just want to do this because I can!
2007-10-22 9:40 AM

Expert
Pittsburgh

Swimming does come with time and practice.  Learn the techniques that help you swim with relatively low effort by looking at the articles and all the advice here. 

I've been there as well - just 8 mos ago I could barely do 50 meters.  But luckily I stopped trying to go longer and longer, and picked up the Total Immersion book.  I basically completely relearned my stroke, and it became natural.  So in Feb I could barely swim.  The other week I did a 500 yd warmup, then did a straight 2000 yd for fun.  If I can do that, you all can as well!  Smile

Regarding breastroke for an entire 1500m - Personally I think that would be tough.  Most swimmers will be out of the water within 30 mins, but you would be out for at least 45 mins, and maybe closer to 60.  I realize you're not trying to win the race, but that's going to be way back.

What is fairly common is to see folks do freestyle, then do breastroke for a breather.  After you get your breath then go back to freestyle.  You have a long time until your race, so I'm sure you would be able to learn freestyle by then.  If not, I would recommend trying breastroke in a Sprint distance first to see what you think before trying it for 1500 m.

2007-10-22 10:23 AM

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

There are a bunch of us on BT doing that race, myself included.  My advice insofar as that particular race goes, is to get in lots of hill practice!!  The course is very very hilly.

Good luck!! 

2007-10-24 1:02 PM

Master
Olney, MD
Hey there! I am brand new to this forum and am also planning on doing the Columbia Triathlon in May 2008. It will be my first tri ever!! I started training this Monday. 2nd day in the pool early this morning and I felt a lot more confident with my freestyle.. Whew!! good thing because after Monday morning I was afraid there would be a good chance that I'd drown in the middle of the lake during the tri

Buppjr, I am interested in training together for the tri! I've been asking all of my friends, and boyfriend, if they wanted to train with me but so far I have no takers! I am a CA member so I have access to the gyms. I am planning on swimming MWF early at 5:45 AM or so and biking MWF in the evenings after work. Running on TU/TH/SU.. most likely in the morning. Saturday OFF!!!

I am a converted volleyball player as well and graduated from U of MD in 2003. This summer was really my first attempt to do any kind of individual sport and I am loving it!!! I've run in 5 5ks so far and before May of this year I never even imagined running more than a mile since we were never really required to do much running in vball other than line sprints. I've always been really active and in good shape so I figured I give triathlons a try!!
2007-10-28 8:06 AM

I too began training for the Col Tri a few weeks ago and am attempting to learn to swim a mile at the Supreme Sports Club. Does anyone in the Columbia area know of a place where (eventually) a person could practice open-water swimming? Is there a group of triathletes that get together every week to practice any aspect of the tri together? Thanks everyone, this is exciting!

2007-10-28 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1027164

Pro
yep,

ferdinand magellan - 2007-10-28 9:06 AM I too began training for the Col Tri a few weeks ago and am attempting to learn to swim a mile at the Supreme Sports Club. Does anyone in the Columbia area know of a place where (eventually) a person could practice open-water swimming? Is there a group of triathletes that get together every week to practice any aspect of the tri together? Thanks everyone, this is exciting!

Not sure of a place to practice OWS.  But you might wanna see with the local Masters club.  Not sure if CA has a master swim team or not but definitly an option to think about.  

Is anyone in the MD area interested in a possible LSD bike or run on the weekends around the Columbia area.  I hope to be coming home for thanksgiving soon, and was just wondering.   

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training towards Columbia Triathalon, May 2008 Rss Feed